Badgerbob

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Badgerbob

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Bob I'm following your postings about the Wall larvae with interest but I seem to have got my postings mixed up, :oops: I mentioned a moth, I can't seem to find one :D blame it on eyes and age.Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Goldie. I was wondering myself about the mystery moth. I thought it may have fluttered off!!! Thanks for your interest and hope the season has started up where you are.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

At last the butterfly season is picking up. Being near the coast a few species are a little later than the warmer inland sites. The biggest surprise this week was a male Clouded Yellow on Wednesday. My son followed this up with a Painted Lady on Thursday.
Yesterday a Speckled Wood was found nectaring on Lesser Celandine and on Wednesday I was with Downland Boy when a Comma was seen ovapositing on nettles.
Male Speckled Wood.
Male Speckled Wood.
Comma ova.
Comma ova.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

One small corner of my local patch has been pretty good over the last week for Small Coppers. I haven't seen any in the rest of the patch!!
This afternoon I was trying to get the Grizzled Skippers going to roost, although I saw a few I didn't get the result I was hoping for. However, my 2nd Wall Brown of the year was on show on arrival. I then saw a Wall Brown larva and then the main target for the Spring, although not todays target, a Wall Brown pupa. I was walking past the spot where I found one last year and I was tempted to just have a quick look, and there it was!! I didn't even have my glasses on. As I checked this spot a couple of days ago I assume it has pupated in the last 2 days.
Small Copper.
Small Copper.
Wall Brown pupa.
Wall Brown pupa.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/128888346@N02/

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful images, Bob. That Wall pupa is stunning.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks David. What a relief finding it!! I just hope this one makes it through to adult.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Well done Bob, i hope this time you manage to capture on film the different changes of the Wall pupa to the end. You deserve it.

All the best Nick.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great find Bob and smashing shot of it - I'd be happy even to see the imago!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Bob,
Well done, following the lifecycle of the Wall Brown this year.
I know some of your 'local patch' very well, especially the Cowslip covered hillside overlooking
the Rathfinny Estate. I remember when we once met that you remarked on the fact that it looked
to be a good site for Duke of Burgundy. But I know of no plans to introduce them there.
Extensive conservation work is taking place in West Sussex for this species to extend it's range, but
nothing in East Sussex that i am aware of. It does look to be excellent site, are BC aware of its potential ?.

All the best,
TREVOR.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thanks all for your comments. I do hope to follow this one through, and who knows. I might even be able to find some more if I get lucky!!
Trevor, as far as the hillside being suitable for Dukes, I'm not aware of any plans to introduce the butterfly here. I guess there has to be evidence of them being there in the past for it to even be considered. Neil has been to the site a few times in the past and it has been mentioned in passing but it is a long shot that it would ever happen.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Bob,
You might find a visit to the Cuckoo trail worthwhile. there are a lot of Holly Blues at the moment.
Other Spring species are also plentiful.The best section to explore is to the north of the old station
car park,for about half a mile.

Happy hunting,
TREVOR.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

It is with regret that the Wall Brown pupa that I found in April has unfortunately died. Over the last few years I have only found 3 as well as one being eaten by ants, so all 4 have perished. This goes to show how fragile the natural world can be. With this disappointment I decided to spend a little time trying to find another and after quite a look I found one hiding in the edge of a bush on some dead grass. It remains to be seen if this one survives. Fortunately many have and numbers of adults are growing. Today I had a mating pair so the summer brood looks assured!!
Mating Wall Brown.
Mating Wall Brown.
Male Wall Brown.
Male Wall Brown.
The 'reserve' Wall Brown pupa.
The 'reserve' Wall Brown pupa.
I have also started to find more Marbled White larvae. These are about half grown now.

More on my blog http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.co.uk/ and my Flickr page www.flickr.com/photos/128888346@N02/

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You have an amazing talent for finding Satyrid early stages, Bob!! I am absolutely certain I could never have found that last pupa as it took me a minute of staring before I even found it in your picture.

Of five purple emperor pupae I've found, four have perished, and the one that didn't was only saved because I took it home. Every butterfly you see is a miracle.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
kevling

Post by kevling »

Bob,

Great find with that Wall Brown Pupa. It's like a butterfly version of Where's Wally. :lol:

Regards Kev

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Wall Bob, yet to see them here too cold Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Echo earlier sentiments, Bob. You are the Daddy when it comes to finding Wall Brown early stages.

I sincerely hope your latest 'find' completes its cycle!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow! Guy took the words out of my mouth Bob. I had to enlarge your shot just to find it, even knowing that it was there! Your persistence, determination and dedication are an inspiration and you surely deserve results with this one if there is any justice.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Thankyou all for your kind words. Especially rewarding from Guy who seems to be able to find anything!! I was very lucky to find the latest pupa. I was looking in the grasses around the bush when my eye was somehow drawn to where the pupa was hanging!!

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A walk along the footpath 'The Comp' today I counted 12 Wall Brown, including a mating pair at the far end. This path runs slightly uphill on the way out and is quite popular with walkers, runners and mountain bikers. Sadly, on my return walk I found a dead pair of Wall Brown that I assume were hit by a mountain biker probably riding fast on the downhill way. I assume the Wall were on the path otherwise engaged together!!
Path Traffic Accident. (PTA) Call 999.
Path Traffic Accident. (PTA) Call 999.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

How sad :(

Return to “Personal Diaries”