Buchan Boy

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Buchan Boy

Post by Goldie M »

Every thing seem to happen in the South this time of year, we in the North can only long :mrgreen:

Love your Clouded Yellow photo's in fact all your photo's look great :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

2015 begins......... :D

Saturday 7th March 2015

Ah,its good to be back.

Upto 13 degrees Celsius today with some sunshine.I scoured my local ex-landfill site for anything resembling a butterfly but no.

Some lovely clusters of Coltsfoot though.Quite breezy on this exposed site.
Kilnwood Landfill Coltsfoot
Kilnwood Landfill Coltsfoot
Kilnwood Landfill Coltsfoot (2)
Kilnwood Landfill Coltsfoot (2)
I hope to have a good year studying this site before all is lost to development as Crawley tries to join Horsham! Crawsham or Horshley anyone. :lol:

Crossed the A264 and settled into the woodland around Buchan Park,first butterfly,a solitary male Brimstone that didn't settle..
Into the meadow and a solitary Peacock that wouldn't settle,or maybe I'd lost my "approaching butterflies mojo" over Winter.......
My first Adder sunbathing,spooked before camera was ready.
Up to Target Hill at the top of the park,and my first butterfly photographed of 2015.
Buchan Park Red Admiral
Buchan Park Red Admiral
Buchan Park Red Admiral (2)
Buchan Park Red Admiral (2)
Excellent,we're off(forgot how to post,that took ages!)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Friday 27th March 2015

First chance of the year to wander around the Cherry Lane and Willoughby Fields area of my town.About 12 degrees with quite a stiff South-Westerly(not warm)breeze.A reasonable showing of post-hibernators,not quite up to 2014's levels

though.(It has been quite chilly,of late,and the weekends have been lacking any sunshine!)

Small Tortoiseshells and Commas prevail,one Peacock.
Cherry Lane Small Tortoiseshell
Cherry Lane Small Tortoiseshell
Willoughby Fields Comma
Willoughby Fields Comma
Willoughby Fields Small Tortoiseshell
Willoughby Fields Small Tortoiseshell
It was cool to see butterflies again,it seemed a long winter..........

I did manage to get some shots of this cheeky fellow a few weeks back on the River Mole that flows through this patch,mixed feelings on these,live and let live I guess.
River Mole Mink
River Mole Mink
First Mink I've seen this side of the town for a while.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Early April 2015

Thought I'd have a quick jolly down the Brecon's to do some early season hill-walking on these.
The Black Mountain and Red Kite country.
The Black Mountain and Red Kite country.
Also to photograph these.
Llanddeusant Red Kite
Llanddeusant Red Kite
Llanddeusant Red Kite 2
Llanddeusant Red Kite 2
Llanddeusant Red Kite 3
Llanddeusant Red Kite 3
And one of these,quite a light individual.(Big bird)on a wire.
Llanddeusant Buzzard
Llanddeusant Buzzard
The warmest day of the trip was spent on Welsh Moor,Gower looking for Marshy nurseries,good to see.
Marsh Fritillary youngsters
Marsh Fritillary youngsters
Marsh Fritillary youngsters 2
Marsh Fritillary youngsters 2
My brother has moved down here for work, needless to say the adult Marshy's are on the hit list this year,anyone know much on these Gower colonies?

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Carcking shots of the Red Kites Buchan Boy. :D If you're after info about Welsh Marsh Frits then I'd ask David M as he's down teh neck of the woods.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Wurzel,

I noted that Jonathan Mullards New Naturalist on the Gower has quite a useful distribution map,I'll talk to David M.

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Red Kite and especially the Buzzard on the fence, it looks so regal Goldie :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Dave, your Red kite 3 photo is absolutely stunning :D it really does justice to this beautiful bird :D

Mike

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Guys,Red Kites are the best,full stop. :D

Saturday 11th April 2015

A quick jaunt around the ex-landfill site adjacent to where I live produced 15 Small Tortoiseshells and 4 Peacocks,actually a good showing of Small Tortoiseshells now around the town,I would say on par with last year,and Peacocks are having a better year than last year I would say.Red Admirals are still fairly scant.
Kilnwood Landfill Small Tortoiseshell
Kilnwood Landfill Small Tortoiseshell
Kilnwood Landfill Peacock
Kilnwood Landfill Peacock
I then wandered up to the raised plateau at the site,which last year housed a couple of nice colonies of Small Coppers,but the breeze was knocking six bells out of everthing,no chance.
However it was worth noting summer coming back from its migration!
Kilnwood Landfill Swallow
Kilnwood Landfill Swallow
Species Count for Kilnwood Landfill 2015
(1) Small Tortoiseshell
(2) Peacock

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Friday 17th April 2015

Easterlies cooling things down,but I figured a few sheltered spots on the Downs might produce my first Dingy's and Grizzled Skippers of the year.

One of the sheltered hollows at the Brockham,ex Limekilns Quarry,nature reserve would surely be harbouring something interesting,in fact the sheltered spots were rather pleasant. :D

Just the one Dingy,enough to make my day though.
Brockham Quarry Dingy Skipper
Theres some good work going on here and the creation of corridors from one lump of ideal habitat to the next should bear fruit soon.Or at least have disparate colonies a chance to cross fertilize.
I spent some time on the slopes of Boxhill but in the stiff breeze nothing else was to be found.
Brockham Quarry Slowworm.
Brockham Quarry Slowworm.
Lovely sheltered Dingy hollow centre bottom. Exactly one day earlier than 2014.
Brockham Quarry
Brockham Quarry
All good,thanks.

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking find Buchan, is it the first of the year for the UK? :mrgreen: It's all kicking off now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Dingy, Buchan. I must get along to Brockham next time I visit Box Hill. I'm glad you reminded me about it!

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Buchan Boy wrote:
My brother has moved down here for work, needless to say the adult Marshy's are on the hit list this year,anyone know much on these Gower colonies?
BB, Marsh Frits can be guaranteed on both Welshmoor and on certain parts of Fairwood Common at the right time of year.

I'd be happy to give you precise details if you wish to PM me.

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Many thanks and David,yes I'll be in touch.

Saturday 18th April 2015

Yesterday the North Downs to find one Dingy Skipper,today the South Downs to have a hunt for Grizzled's.I figured the Easterlies that were howling in would keep a check on the butterflies in exposed areas so somewhere sheltered I reckoned.

A quick scan of the old Ordnance Survey explorer 122 had me on the train to Lewes,Malling Down being my destination,more precise,the combe at Malling Down.Being a rare combe that has its mouth towards the West and therefore Easterlies

should ping right over the top,I was right it was gorgeous.I reached the site just as the sun was started to warm the Northern flank,on which about half way up,the first Small Copper of the season was noted,over the stile up behind the

allotments and another Small Copper,bag on floor,camera out,I'll hang around here for a while.The Coppers were warming up.
Malling Down Small Copper
Malling Down Small Copper
Amazingly just out in the periphery of vision whilst trying to get the shot I noted what I first took to be a Dingy,but realized rapidly my first Grizzled had arrived
Malling Down Grizzled Skipper
Malling Down Grizzled Skipper
Just when I thought that was it,a day of Grizzled's is before me,nothing else happened,searched for half-an-hour,futile.Moved up the Northen arm of the Combe before finding the spot.
The Spot
The Spot
Then my first Green Hairstreaks of the year starting to wake up and the morning then descended into Small Copper vs Green Hairstreak battle fest,much overlapping of territories going on,causing much friction.I had to take my chances carefully as the floor was covered in lovely,young stinging nettles,and early in spring,they are without doubt at their most vicious :evil:
Malling Down Small Copper 2
Malling Down Small Copper 2
Malling Down Green Hairstreak
Malling Down Green Hairstreak
Malling Down Small Copper 3
Malling Down Small Copper 3
Malling Down Green Hairstreak 2
Malling Down Green Hairstreak 2
Noted quite a few Small Tortoiseshells as well,who became my guide for hunting Small Coppers,nice tactic that one :lol:
It was approaching midday now and all was rather lively.All the butterflies had definitely congregated here,twas hectic.I tried,in vain,to get a shot of the Green Hairstreaks nectaring on the bugle, frustratingly difficult and not successful!
The Bigger Spot,Lewes out yonder
The Bigger Spot,Lewes out yonder
The Peacocks were as classy as ever,smooching around,a rather good showing as well.
Malling Down Peacock
Malling Down Peacock
Malling Down(worn out)Peacock 2
Malling Down(worn out)Peacock 2
No more Grizzled's though,I checked the more Southern arm to the Combe but it was almost empty bar a couple of Kestrels that were remarkably unfazed by my presence.
Sat there and watched them for a while,a little nap,time to go.Somedays are just lovely and that winter seemed to go on forever,or maybe I'm getting older.
Malling Down Small Copper 4
Malling Down Small Copper 4
Thankyou very much!
Thankyou very much!
NB.5 Green Hairstreaks
12 Small Coppers
1 Male Orange Tip
2 Female Brimstones
1 Grizzled Skipper
loads Small Tortoiseshells
2 Very stung up calfs and wrists,tingled for days!
2 Sheep ticks,tuck those clothes in boys and girls.

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Saturday 9th May and Sunday 10th May 2015

Brockham Quarry,North Downs

I do seem to be getting quite drawn this marvellous site more and more,I figured Dingy and Grizzled Skippers would be worth a go,although I'm not entirely sure how the Grizzleds are here.

This reserve is looked after by the Surrey Wildlife Trust and they seem to be doing a rather fine job,the butterflies seem to agree.

13 species noted over the weekend,3/4 hours each day although Sunday afternoon was best for the count,Sunday midday best for photography.

30-40 Dingy Skippers across the site,I think they have now peaked here.
Brockham Quarry Dingy Skipper2
Brockham Quarry Dingy Skipper2
About 10 Grizzled Skippers noted on Sunday and have just started I reckon,only 4 noted on the Saturday.Probably be good here next weekend.
Brockham Quarry Grizzled Skipper
Brockham Quarry Grizzled Skipper
Brockham Quarry Grizzled Skipper2
Brockham Quarry Grizzled Skipper2
Brockham Quarry Grizzled Skipper3
Brockham Quarry Grizzled Skipper3
3 Holly Blues,which I have always struggled to photograph.
Brockham Quarry Holly Blue
Brockham Quarry Holly Blue
2 Common Blues,just hatched.
Brockham Quarry Common Blue
Brockham Quarry Common Blue
4 Small Heaths,quite fresh
Brockham Quarry Small Heath
Brockham Quarry Small Heath
A few Large Whites passing through
Brockham Quarry Large White
Brockham Quarry Large White
Half a dozen Peacocks vying for the sunniest spots as the angle dropped.
Brockham Quarry Peacock
Brockham Quarry Peacock
Also noted 2 Green Hairstreaks that were in cop.that I lost sight of,would of made a cracking shot.
Brimstones,Orange Tips,GV Whites and one Comma,also made appearances.
Just as I was calling it day a rather light coloured Speckled Wood posed for me,at first I thought I had the first Wall Brown recorded around these parts for a while,but no(heart racing).Lovely all the same.
Brockham Quarry Speckled Wood
Brockham Quarry Speckled Wood
The Eastern end of the reserve.
Brockham Quarry
Brockham Quarry
Next weekend again methinks.

Regards
Dave Browne
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Buchan Boy,

A cracking selection of species and great photos in your past couple of reports :D

Cheers,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I second that, just wish I could see so many species up hereGoldie :mrgreen: :D

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Wednesday 13th May 2015

Mount Caburn nr Lewes

Blimey,some sunshine,drove down to Lewes,parked at the small car park at Glynde and took a wander upto the old hillfort on Mount Caburn.I remember seeing Small Blues here some 20 years ago and thought it would be nice to see if I could still locate them.Also to check-in on Burnt Tip Orchids and Wart-Biters.It warmed up very quickly and I soon realised that butterflies were going to be "difficult" today! :twisted:

Nevertheless it wasn't long before they started waking up,Dingy Skippers in good numbers,also worth noting 3 Painted Lady's on the wing,I wondered when they might start appearing from across the channel.Just the one Grizzled Skipper,but my window of opportunity was now closing as the temperature and sun rose.
Mount Caburn Grizzled Skipper
Mount Caburn Grizzled Skipper
Common Blues now on the wing and my first Brown Argus of the year.
Mount Caburn Brown Argus
Mount Caburn Brown Argus
Got to one of the large bramble thickets here and the tell tale silvery flicker crossed my vision,hey Small Blue,a male warming up.Good to see they are still here.
Mount Caburn Small Blue
Mount Caburn Small Blue
I then spent a while trying to locate more but as seems to be happening a lot this year so far,just the one,need to get back down here.
No Burnt-Tip Orchids yet,I couldn't even locate any shoots,they must be 2-3 weeks behind this year.
But,I did manage to locate young Wart-Biters,in good numbers as well,the second biggest colony in Britain.
Mount Caburn Wart Biter
Mount Caburn Wart Biter
Mount Caburn Wart Biter 2
Mount Caburn Wart Biter 2
That was good,after watching the paragliding guys for a while,which is quite a spectacle,decided to wander down the slope and try my luck at Abbots Wood for Pearl-Bordered's.
Now this might not look much,but it was the only shot of a Wall Brown that I could manage,four noted in total on the rabbit spoil,chalk,sunning,no approaching though!
I was rather chuffed,first time I'd seen them on these slopes,best get the record in,and get back here for better shots.
Mount Caburn Wall
Mount Caburn Wall
Next,up the road to Abbots.......
And the Ouse keeps meandering
Ouse from Mount Caburn
Ouse from Mount Caburn

Regards
Dave Browne
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photos of the SB,GS and BA, :mrgreen: three species we don't get a round here except for the NBA which at present is absent Goldie :D

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Goldie

Wednesday 13th May 2015

Abbots Wood

I drove along the A27 to the Abbots Wood spot to see how the Pearl-bordered's were faring this year, reports have been good.

It was now a cloudless sky and sun beaming down, the show should be full-on,and I was not disappointed.

I have no idea how many were flittering around but its the best showing I've seen in my neck of the woods for a long while and a true pleasure.Sat and watched them for a couple of hours before some cloud slowed them up and photos

were achieved.
Abbots Wood Pearl-bordered
Abbots Wood Pearl-bordered
Abbots Wood Pearl-bordered 2
Abbots Wood Pearl-bordered 2
Some days are just magic.

Excellent work to all concerned for keeping this a viable colony.

Regards
Dave Browne

Return to “Personal Diaries”