Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Another day, another Comma !.
This morning,despite the cold wind and a temperature of 9c.I set out for a walk around Abbot's Wood.
The rides there were acting as wind tunnels, so I went to a spot where it is sheltered,out of the wind,
and in full sun.
I was soon treated to the sight of a Comma trying to warm up. As i carried on I became aware of a
beady eye looking down on me, in the shape of a Grey Squirrel.
The Primroses were magnificent too, 2015 is a good year for them.

TREVOR.
Attachments
P1100281.JPG
P1100280.JPG
P1100283.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos Trevor, nothing here yet but wind and rain hope fully the weekend will bring some thing out of hibernation Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

WARMING UP !

Today was a working day for me. I have a part time job based on a farm in Halnaker, West Sussex.
On arrival I could not believe the number of Peacocks on the ground,warming up. I would estimate
that about twenty were seen throughout the day as well as several Small Tortoiseshells .
As few of the Butterflies were competent flyers ( even when the temperature rose ) I would guess
that they had just emerged from hibernation. Even so they could still give my camera the run around!.
Also seen was one flypast Brimstone.

All the best,
TREVOR
Attachments
P1100339.JPG
P1100338.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Looks like their on the move at last Trevor :D Nice shots lots hope we see more shortly Goldie :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Nice photos.

Loads of Peacocks about my way today as well, also seemed to be the first day around here that good numbers were awake and on the wing.

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor - things are indeed getting going and the weather looks set to remain good for a while - better get that camera fully charged and ready! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Great Commas, Trevor - I haven't seen a single one yet, so I'm very envious!

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.

trevor

Post by trevor »

INFLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT

Today I went back to Abbot's wood and walked along one of the rides , where later on Pearl Bordered
Fritillaries may be found. There were many Commas flying there , and I have to say they do a good PBF.
impersonation ie they are about the same size,the same colour, and fly with a short flutter then a glide.
They were so realistic that I almost felt obliged to check each one to make sure that it wasn't an early
Pearl.
Later on I encountered a Brimstone , which took off as I pressed the shutter , so i caught him in flight .
My apologies for the quality of that image.
But I won't apologise for including some more Primroses.

I hope things are picking up where you are.
TREVOR.
Attachments
P1100362.JPG
P1100364.JPG
P1100363.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Commas , yet more Commas.

Rather like Dennis Moore and his Lupins all I can offer today are more Commas.
Despite visiting three locations , where I might have seen Orange Tips and other early species
all I got was even more Commas. I've included the Ladybirds for a little variety !.

All the best,
TREVOR.
Attachments
P1100391.JPG
P1100390.JPG
P1100392.JPG
P1100388.JPG
P1100389.JPG

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

I'm still waiting to see a Comma this year. Some nice pictures.
I'm also keeping an eye on Ladybirds this year; despite being rather small they do tend to keep still which I find very helpful!

Kind regards ~ Mike ….

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You, can, never, have , enough, Commas, Trevor :lol: Great shots especially the silhouette :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Lots of Peacocks today , seeking nectar rather than warming up on the ground.
I thought the nectar sources were unusual , one on Primroses and another on Cuckoo Flower.
Perhaps newly emerged hibernators have to be opportunistic feeders at this time of year.
Also when i got home i had a coffee in the garden and pieces of dead bark started falling from
the Oak tree , looking up i saw this Spotted Woodpecker busily dislodging pieces of bark.

TREVOR.

PS. The Woodpecker image won't load up , sorry ! :?
Attachments
P1100442.JPG
P1100440.JPG
P1100441.JPG

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Lovely to see the Peacocks on the Flowers and Blossom.
Thanks for noticing my Peacocks yesterday.
Mike ….

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Peacocks Trevor :D - shame about the Woodpecker. I will get round to checking out that video but so much is happening at the moment - it's great! :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All;

On my travels today I met a fellow Butterflyer who is now something of a local celebrity !.
On Easter Monday, whilst out with his camera , spotted and photographed a Large Tortoiseshell
here in East Sussex. After i was shown the image on his camera i could hardly say ' would you
like to see my Comma image :lol: '.
If you would like to see the LT. image , go the Sussex BC website and click on 'recent sightings'.
Anyway it was more Commas and Peacocks for me today , but i did spot a distant Orange Tip.

Gobsmacked.
TREVOR.

PS. I have heavily cropped the Woodpecker image from yesterday and it was accepted.
Attachments
Comma and friend .
Comma and friend .
P1100473.JPG
Woodpecker showering me with dead bark !
Woodpecker showering me with dead bark !

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Trevor - especially the Woody :D I really wish the 'lot happening' featured butterflies but it's more to do with the house renovations I'm currently completing, that and spending so much time with my girls - it helps remind me of why I bother going to work :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

VARIETY !

Today,after the rain cleared , I walked a section of the disused railway line ( Beechings folly !) to
the north of Hailsham , where the old line is in a cutting. My first sighting was of a Red Admiral
nectaring on Blackthorn ( my first RA. since February ) . Shortly followed by my first female Brimstone
of the year. As I retraced my steps my first Small White of this year descended onto a clump of Celendine
right in front of me.
In all .a very rewarding day.

Happy Butterflying,
TREVOR.
Attachments
Most of the Butterflies were seen beyond this bridge.
Most of the Butterflies were seen beyond this bridge.
P1100533.JPG
P1100532.JPG
P1100531.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

SCARCE TORTOISESHELL.

A Scarce Tortoiseshell was seen in West sussex , over several days last week.
There are images of this Butterfly on the Sussex BC. website.

ENJOY :mrgreen:

TREVOR.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Today dawned cool and cloudy, but the sun eventually broke through so I set out with my camera.
The hoped for Orange tips failed to materialise , with a temperature of only 13c. who could blame them.
I did find a Peacock , high up , on a Blackthorn which provided a good opportunity to use my zoom.
Having seen the result I don't think there will be any hiding place for HIM. this year :lol: .
With Spring now moving into a new phase ( ie. More newly emerged species replacing the hibernators,
and Primroses giving way to Bluebells.) we've a lot to look forward to.

Happy hunting, :D
TREVOR
Attachments
P1100567.JPG
P1100568.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photos Trevor, Spring as really arrived but the last few days have been awful here, love the shot of your Brimstone Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”