Padfield

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Padfield

Post by Padfield »

I had to go to the valley this afternoon to sort out some final business for my naturalisation (this is a long process, it turns out, but I think now approaching the end ...) and as it was sunny zoomed along to the site where I usually see precocious grizzled skippers. There weren't any there, though the foodplant (Potentilla recta, I think, here) carpeted the slopes and they cannot be long off now. Or perhaps I was just too late in the day. I did see lots of large tortoiseshells, small tortoiseshells, Queens and commas, as well as a few small whites and green-veined whites, my first of the year.

(A typical grizzled skipper site)

(large tortoiseshell)

(comma)

(Pasque flower)

The crag martins have returned ...

... but had to compete with a helicopter the whole time I was there:

Dreadful noise!

This is a late spring by recent standards - 2015 started generally cold. But now we've passed the equinox things do seem to be picking up. I might just be able to fit in one trip to Italy for nettle tree butterflies before I come back to Suffolk for yellow-legged tortoiseshells ...

Guy

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

More good to see stuff Guy.

Helicopters. That reminds me, last time I was high up on the slopes above Zermatt over thirty years ago, saw a cooker/oven being delivered to a near inaccessible Chalet perched on a mountainside. I wonder what the delivery charge for that would be.. :)... It's about a tenner locally in Glos. Day was also memorable as I saw my first Wall Creeper. Most unusual bird. Like a huge dayflying moth or butterfly.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images, Guy. Your new equipment is doing you proud.

I expect by "naturalisation" you mean the process of becoming an official 'citoyen de la suisse?'

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Padfield wrote:That did occur to me, Mike - but it would have been WRONG!
I never doubted your integrity Guy. When faced with the problem of no clear view in the finder, I usually take several shots, moving the camera a little each time. I then consider it acceptable to 'stitch' shots together, as in my post at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7459&start=260#p93973. The same technique can be used when squinting at the screen of a compact in bright sunlight, to ensure that the subject is actually in the frame!

Spring seems to be having a very 'stuttering' start here, too, with just a few warm sunny days in between days of cold biting winds. Even my local 'sun trap' at Dry Sandford Pit has yielded very few butterfly sightings so far.

Mike

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I expect by "naturalisation" you mean the process of becoming an official 'citoyen de la suisse?'
No, no, no!
He's applied to join the local nudist colony!

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A helicopter costs a lot more than a tenner, CC, as many a fallen skier, stranded miles off-piste, has discovered to his cost ...

Yes, David, having lived most of my professional life in Switzerland I should be a citizen very soon. I was granted la bourgoisie d'Ollon, my local commune, last summer, but the cantonal and federal wheels seem to turn more slowly. I will announce with pride on these pages when I finally become Swiss! Naturism, on the other hand, has little appeal for me. I think the vast majority of people look much, much better with their clothes on. :D

I might have a look at my other shots, Mike, and see if any can be resized and stitched to return Betelgeuse to its rightful place. But I haven't got that many, as I was using 15 s exposures, to which you can add 15 s in-camera processing time, and the whole event only lasted three minutes.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Snow yesterday and the day before but sun this morning. When I cycled down the hill at 06h30 it was still bitterly cold and Minnie was shivering in her backpack by the bottom. But by the time we reached Domodossola, in Italy, it was very warm. The target was nettle tree butterflies. It is too early, really, but this is the only day I have until after Easter so it had to be.

At my first site, reached after a long, steep, uphill cycle ride (with Minnie still hitching a lift in the backpack) I discovered the nettle trees themselves weren't even in green bud yet, let alone ready for the females to lay on. But I did see a couple of the butterflies on the ride up and a further half dozen or so males fresh out of hibernation, looking for females, at the site. None stopped more than a second or two, usually directly between me and the sun, but I did get a few, distant record shots:

At this site, all the nettle trees are on the sheer, south side of a perilous path so it's not a good place for photos, even though it's an excellent site for the butterflies.

By far the commonest butterfly all day was large tortoiseshell. I also saw several brimstones, male and female, a few small tortoiseshells, a single green hairstreak, a single small copper, a couple of green-veined whites and a peacock. This bit of Italy has not woken up yet. To see just one green hairstreak near the end of March was a big surprise - I expected many more.

Here is the single small copper:

That didn't hang around long either!

At my second site - a fairly dense patch of nettle trees, including some on the sunny side, where I have had good photos of ovipositing nettle tree butterflies - there were no butterflies at all. Minnie enjoyed the cycle ride though, as we had to zoom down one hill and up another.

Finally, I visited some rough ground in Domodossola, where a single large tortoiseshell put in a brief appearance:

So, few butterflies on the first day of the holiday, but we had a good day. Everywhere Minnie goes, by train or bike, she makes people happy, meaning it's a pleasure to travel with her even when the butterflies don't fly.

Back in CH in the early afternoon, thick cloud had set in so we didn't visit any more sites.

Guy

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Hi Guy,

If any of those Celtis ( Nettle Trees ) produce viable seeds at some stage later, I could use a few to germinate. It's over thirty years since I reared any Celtis feeders and would like to do so again.

The last Celtis feeders I reared was this monster ~ Sasakia funebris :~

I grew a massive Celtis sinensis from a cutting and had to remove it along with an even larger Strawberry Tree ( Arbutus unedo for C.jasius foodplant) when I built a double garage in that part of the garden nearly fifteen years ago. Should have taken a few cuttings. I have some smaller Celtis sinensis in my little nature reserve in a remote part of Gloucestershire but twenty odd years on, they are not thriving. I think they do not like the soil there unlike the clay based stuff in my garden which it loved.

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote: By far the commonest butterfly all day was large tortoiseshell.
There are times when I hate you, Guy. :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

HI CC. I don't know if you follow the Purple Empire Blog. The most recent post (http://apaturairis.blogspot.ch/2015/03/ ... ronda.html) was from a chap who rears various Apaturinae through and is currently rearing Sasakia charonda, which also feeds on Celtis. He would be able to help you get some plants going, I'm sure.

David - all you have to do is take your holiday in March or April instead of the summer to be guaranteed zillions of large tortoiseshells and Camberwell beauties! :D Both species are much harder in the summer. In fact, the same is true of nettle tree butterfly, which I know you hope to see this summer, though the situation is not quite the same. Nettle tree butterflies put in a brief summer brood in June - perhaps partial - before producing the hibernating brood, so good nettle tree (the plant) sites will still be hotspots for the butterfly. I photographed this ovipositing (or at least oviposturing) female on 3rd July last year:

Find the trees and you will find the butterfly.

Back to rain and snow today. Durgā is awake and looking around - but I doubt she will like what she sees:

The very first terminal buds of the honeysuckle are greening up, so the white admiral cats should not have too long to wait now.

This was the weather (iPhone pic) on my morning dog-walk ...

... and this a little later:

All trace of blue disappeared after that.

Guy

David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote: David - all you have to do is take your holiday in March or April instead of the summer to be guaranteed zillions of large tortoiseshells and Camberwell beauties!
I'm doing precisely that, Guy!

In a fortnight I'll be in the Var tracking down the spring species.

Camberwell Beauty in particular would be a welcome sight!

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Naturism, on the other hand, has little appeal for me.
My apologies Guy. Confusing naturalisation with naturism (lying b*stard) :)

Jack

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Good luck with the spring hunt, David. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Fear not, Jack. Although we've never met I have a pretty good idea of how your mind works (or part of it, anyway). :D

I arrived in Suffolk on Tuesday afternoon. It was bright and I soon saw a peacock in the garden; but in general the air was too cold for much activity. On Wednesday morning I cycled off to check out one of the sites I had earmarked as having good potential for hibernating yellowlegs. Sadly, the wind was so strong and cold that nothing flew at all, despite the sun. A single, torpid comma was blown across my path, to crash land in vegetation. I picked it up - it couldn't move for the cold. Then I warmed it a little and placed it in a suitable, sunny spot in the lee, beautifully camouflaged against the bracken. Its wings were shredded, presumably from having been swept through gorse and bracken by the near gale.

On Thursday I tried a different site in the morning - no butterflies at all - and a further site with my parents in the afternoon - again, no butterflies at all. A single small white in the garden was my only butterfly yesterday. If/when the clouds clear I'll be back out looking.

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The East Coast weather has thwarted most of my yellowleg searches so far - cold, windy and cloudy. This morning was sunny but none turned up at my chosen sites (places I've earmarked as likely to be chosen for hibernation/breeding). I had to be back before the morning got really hot, though, as we had Adnams and Minsmere planned. No yellowlegs at Minsmere but I was very happy to get good views of a little ringed plover:

Other butterflies flying in Suffolk today included small white, comma, peacock, small tortoiseshell, brimstone and my first speckled wood of the year, which I picked up stunned from beside the road as I cycled back from yellowleg hunting.

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I arrived back in CH on Thursday night and picked up Minnie yesterday morning. When she had calmed down enough to sit in her backpack we headed off along the valley to see what was flying.

It still feels like a late year but we made up a little for lost ground. The full day-list (in fact, I had to be back in the early afternoon, so this was really a morning-list) was: scarce swallowtail, small white, green-veined white, wood white, brimstone, Berger's clouded yellow, orange tip, holly blue, small copper, large tortoiseshell, small tortoiseshell, peacock, Camberwell beauty, comma, red admiral, Queen of Spain, speckled wood, grizzled skipper and dingy skipper - so breaking double figures at last. The Camberwell beauty was a single individual, in flight and I saw just two holly blues and a single small copper. Green-underside blues were not flying yet, and nor were violet fritillaries (or at least, not during my brief visit).

A few piccies:

(brinstone)

This brimstone was carrying a passenger:

(orange tip)

(comma)

(southern grizzled skipper)

(dingy skipper)

(scarce swallowtail)

In Huémoz I had a little look around my purple emperor sites. Sadly, Indra's sallow has been cut down to make room for a seat with a view. :( Of the others, I was able to locate Sarasvatī, Durgā and Sugrīva. Here is Durgā, now waiting patiently next to a bud:

Guy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A white admiral caterpillar today (also posted here: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=8235):

Guy

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Well done Guy. Brilliant observation.

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

That's a peach of a Scarce Swallowtail, Guy.

Usually when I see them they're tatty and weather beaten.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Welcome back to the continent Guy.
That's a respectable haul for Saturday 11th - your sightings are accelerating at great pace now. I bet those long snowy winter months seem ages away.
Love the White Admiral Caterpillar pics.

Hey David, no reason why you shouldn't be seeing some pristine Scarce Swallowtails yourself next week :D .

Chris

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Fantastic observations, Guy. The photos are superb, but the observations are the icing on the cake. The amount of silk holding that honeysuckle leaf onto the branch looks to be industrial strength!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Personal Diaries”