Chequered Sk and Ballachulish Quarry

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Chequered Sk and Ballachulish Quarry

Post by Jack Harrison »

The interest started because my roof apparently has tiles from Ballachulish Quarry.

Location NN083582 approx midway between Glasdrum and Forth William so within Chequered Skipper range. Satellite images suggest plenty of potential CS habitat around the quarry.

Anyone know if Chequered Skipper is present?

Jack
Rogerdodge

Re: Chequered Sk and Ballachulish Quarry

Post by Rogerdodge »

Jack
Have a look yourself.
The attached kml file lists just about every Chequered Skipper site reported.
I did this a few years back, so it may be out of date.
You nee Google Earth loaded for it to work.
If you have Google Earth just double click on the Icon once you have it on your own computer.

Good to hear from you again.

Roger
Attachments
ChSk.kml
(13.3 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Cheers

Roger
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

if I'm reading the article in http://butterfly-conservation.org/files ... s-2015.pdf right then it has been found in NN0860, NN0759 & NN1158 which are not far away at all.
However, looking at the immediate area of the quarry it's mostly quite steep north facing slopes. The 2 squares to the south are at least west facing but appear heavily wooded albeit with some open patches.

p.s. my roof also has Ballachulish slate, not unusual though in the West of Scotland :lol:
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

While we are talking Chequered Skippers, I noticed that the on-line blurb for the Creag Meagaidh Nature Reserve suggests they occur there... Does it really? That seems pretty far East compared to the normal range that ScottD posted doesn't it? http://www.wildlochaber.com/spean-bridg ... agaidh-nnr

Trev
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

I know that there are relatively recent records from south of Meall Doire NN 2980 - but that's about 15km West of the West-most part of Creag Meagaidh NNR afaik.
The NNRs own page doesn't appear to mention CS (& I wouldn't go there expecting Clouded Yellow either that the Wild Lochaber page suggests :twisted: ).

Return to “Sites”