Pete Eeles

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Guy, Peter, David, Wurzel - the lesson learned is to understand the ecology and habits before setting off. Then finding the needle in the haystack isn't so bad since there's an incredibly small area that (in this case) is actually suitable for larvae!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some fantastic shots in recent posts Pete - really motivational stuff :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Pauline.

Quercus on quercus

I always finish the year off with a search for hairstreak eggs and visited my most local site for Purple Hairstreak this morning for about 20 minutes while walking the dogs. The fallen oak that always delivers has been removed by the farmer, so I had to make do with the lowest-hanging south-facing branches of a line of oaks that are at one end of a field. Still, I managed to find a single egg in the last minute, which was a relief!
IMG_3155.jpg
quercus.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

First Butterflies

I've just returned from my first trip to Singapore (for work, I hasten to add), staying in a hotel with fantastic views over the city, including the characteristic Marina Bay Sands hotel.
1.jpg
2.jpg
Unusually, my first butterflies for the year were seen here - in a local park, and I was pleasantly surprised at just how eco-friendly the entire city seems to be, with green areas appearing to be quite abundant even in the centre of the city. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go to any of the small areas of rainforest that can still be found here. All in all, a wonderful place, and I hope to return when I have more time for sightseeing! Still, a welcome respite from the British winter.
Chocolate Pansy
Chocolate Pansy
Plain Tiger
Plain Tiger
Ciliate Blue
Ciliate Blue
6.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

You lucky so-and-so, Pete.

That skyline seems abnormally futuristic.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Good news that Singapore is increasingly eco-friendly - and what a brilliant time of year to visit, when nothing is on the wing over here.

Your chocolate pansy is confusingly named, as it is Junonia hedonia, a different species from J. iphita, the one normally called chocolate pansy. Wikipedia calls it the brown pansy. Anyway - a new one for me, and a lovely-looking creature.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

:mrgreen: It's freezing here, I haven't seen a butterfly in almost three weeks and you've seen one of the butterflies I've always wanted to see in the wild - if there was such a thing as an envy meter Pete mine would just have exploded :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

It must have been great just to step out into the warmth and with the added addition of Butterflies fantastic :D
I went to Hong Kong once and I remember the warmth more than any thing else, sadly didn't see any Butterflies, love the Tiger BF Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Pete,

Many thanks for your observation on the DGF Ab. I must admit i had noticed the markings on that specimen
but failed to note that it was an Ab. When i first started Butterflying i thought the Female DGF's were Ab's!
All my DGF images were taken near Birling Gap, East Sussex.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Wiltshire aurinia

I was in Taunton today and decided to drive home via the Wiltshire countryside, stopping off at a Marsh Fritillary site to see if I could locate any larval webs; I stopped counting at 100 - clearly a good omen for the flight period at this site! The season is kicking off nicely :)
Marsh Fritillary - larva - North Wiltshire - 12-Mar-15-6.jpg
Marsh Fritillary - larva - North Wiltshire - 12-Mar-15-4.jpg
Marsh Fritillary - larva - North Wiltshire - 12-Mar-15-5.jpg
Marsh Fritillary - larva - North Wiltshire - 12-Mar-15.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete

William

Post by William »

Great stuff Pete, a lot better developed than the ones down here in Somerset, which are, incidentally, near Taunton :)

BWs,

William

David M

Post by David M »

Those larvae look to be in rude health for the time of year. Augurs well for a decent emergence come late May.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of shots Pete that will make waiting for the next two months very difficult - but judging by the web count definitely worth it :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Pete,

Nice set of images and gives a good indication of what to keep an eye out for, I may try to get out myself this weekend to look for some Frit larvae at Bentley

Andy

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone; unfortunately, I've not been able to return to the Marsh Fritillary site recently due to work pressures. On the bright side, as Vince says in the Notes and Views section, spring officially started on 6th April :) Purple Emperor larvae are moving into their post-hibernation positions next to sallow buds, as reported by Matthew on the Purple Empire blog:
IMG_3177.jpg
And, while knocking down our garden shed to make way for a potting shed, I found 3 Large White pupae. They really are quite beautiful (and overlooked!):
IMG_3181.jpg
And a walk today with the dogs resulted in 16 Peacock, 12 Small Tortoiseshell, just 1 Brimstone (male), my first Green-veined White of the year and nowt / zero / zilch on the Scarce Tortoiseshell front :)

Cheers,

- Pete

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm sure the Scarce Tort will be heading your way soon Pete :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That Large White pupa is truly beautiful and a real find, Pete.

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Wurzel, David!

Needles, haystacks, and finding the impossible!

I must admit, I have travelled further to find a caterpillar (Chequered Skipper), but taking a trip to find a Northern Brown Argus larva is probably "right up there" with the acts of lunacy that Eleanor Glanville was accused of, when in "pursuit of butterflies". But some things must, simply, be done :) And so it was that I ended up at a site near Eyemouth in the Scottish Borders with yet another haystack before me. Knowing that hundreds, if not thousands, of Northern Brown Argus were on the hillside before me gave me great confidence, but the reality was quite, quite deflating. Having done my research, this was supposedly the best time to find the larvae (post-hibernation), but they would be tiny (around 3mm in length), feeding on the underside of the Rock-rose leaves, and the site is simply carpeted in Rock-rose - hence the "haystack".
IMG_5923.jpg
I had spent over an hour with my nose buried to the ground, looking at the underside of Rock-rose leaves, when a familiar voice called to me - local resident Ian Campbell, one of the guardians of this precious site and one of a handful of people that can claim to get Northern Brown Argus in their back garden!
IMG_5927.jpg
The company was much appreciated and Ian reminding me of where the hotspots were, where we found Northern Brown Argus eggs in good numbers in 2014. It wasn't long before we found a discarded egg case and plenty of evidence of feeding - the "grazing" of the caterpillars on the Rock-rose leaves being quite evident all around this one small area.
IMG_5929.jpg
With hopes running high, and Papilio binoculars put to good use, I eventually found, after 2 hours of searching, a "cheeky" larva poking its head around the side of a Rock-rose leaf, not far from the end of a sprig of leaves, as if playing hide-and-seek. Bingo! I knew this chap would fall off the leaf at the slightest disturbance so was particularly careful; placing my handing underneath the leaf in case it fell, which it promptly did. What neither Ian nor I knew was just how quickly the larva would move back towards the food plant - I've never seen anything like it - and certainly not in a Lycaenid larva which are known for their sluggish behaviour! Knowing that this critter was more-than-capable of getting back to its host plant, I popped it in a box (with foodplant) to give it time to settle and allow us a good viewing. A short time later it was released, after a number of record shots were taken.
IMG_3188.jpg
What could have been a monumental error of judgement turned out to be the start to the year I was hoping for and certainly proved that, once again, persistence pays off. My thanks to Ian for the company, hospitality, and help in searching for the impossible. The only downside was that UK Butterflyer, Iain Cowe (IAC), wasn't there to see the larva for himself (it was Iain who helped me locate NBA in this region in the first place) - I'll have to save that for next year!

Cheers,

- Pete

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Now THATS dedication! and a great result as well :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brilliant work, Pete! I think finding a needle in a haystack is probably easier ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”