Five years on...........

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Rebecca

Five years on...........

Post by Rebecca »

Hello all, its been a while since I posted here and I thought I would update you all on where life has taken me since I first posted on this forum 5 years ago.
In 2010 I had taken 2 photos on my phone of 2 butterflies and just couldn't ID them so I discovered this site, joined and asked for help. Not only did I receive help from some very kind people but the enthusiasm for butterflies from the posters gripped me and I was hooked.
Today five years on I'm a reserve warden for a small local reserve, I'm also doing transects for Butterfly conservation and I've been helping with the Large Blue project. I've also gone back to college and I'm studying Countryside management which I absolutely love.
It just amazes me how my life has completely changed over those 2 small photographs. I want to thank the wonderful posters on here for (probably unintentionally!) helping to change my life with their passion and enthusiasm for butterflies and wildlife in general which I now have by the bucket load.
P.S If I can find more time in my now hectic life I shall try and post more :)
jenks

Re: Five years on...........

Post by jenks »

Welcome back and it`s great to see the level of commitment you have made to butterflies and the environment in general. Look forward to seeing more posts and hearing how things are going on your reserve.

Jenks.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Brilliant, Rebecca - an inspiring post :) :) .

Tony M.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Fantastic stuff Rebecca.
I'm confident that many people have been hooked (or, as in my case, re-hooked) on butterflies via this site. To hear that it has encouraged some along a path to a new career which they obviously love is really exciting - Pete could have had little idea just how important the project he started would become. Good luck in the future and let's hope we can all help others become enthused about butterflies and wildlife in general. Without like-minded people who give their time and effort to protect our reserves and countryside, the UK would be a much darker place. On a lovely sunny spring day like today, your post should give us all hope for a bright future. Thank you for letting us know your story Rebecca. :D

Trev
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Trev Sawyer wrote:Pete could have had little idea just how important the project he started would become.
You're not kidding Trevor, and it's good to hear that the effort it's taken to create and maintain the site, by all the team, has made a difference (which was always the intent!). And I think your post, Rebecca, has made my week :) Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Quite probably the most heart-warming post I've ever read on here!

I'm delighted you've not just found a hobby, Rebecca, but perhaps even a vocation!

Best wishes to you.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I concur with everyone elses thoughts and comments, a lovely post. This site has certainly been a big part in re-awakening my passion as well :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Thank you for the kind comments. I was going to pop back here yesterday but I did my first transect of the year and its no normal transect. Its very long, ridiculously steep for the majority of it, I'm full of cold and so managed to wear myself out!
I hope you realise Pete just how invaluable and inspiring having this forum is. I've gone from having a mild general interest in nature to now being totally consumed by it. Going back to college to study countryside management has got to be one of the best things I've ever done. Its taken me a long time but I think I finally know where I'm going and I'm on the right career path.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Congratulations Rebecca, you sound like you've really found your vocation, I envy you your youthfulness and wish I was younger :D
I agree with you about this UKB It's been inspiring to me and very helpful. I hope we hear more from you in the future.
I've not seen the Large Blue yet but hope to do so shortly, I think the work to reintroduce a species that had declined in Britain is brilliant and you must be very proud of the success of this Butterfly. Goldie :D

Return to “General”