Mike Robinson

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Mike Robinson

Post by Goldie M »

Your doing well with the sightings so far Mike, wish I could join you Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots of the Green-veined White, Mike. It's not yet listed on BC's first sightings of 2015 :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Maximus wrote:Nice shots of the Green-veined White, Mike. It's not yet listed on BC's first sightings of 2015 :)
Looks like another appearance on March 30th has been noticed: https://twitter.com/RichardFoxBC/status ... 4370157568

Will Tweet this so that Mike's record is recognised also.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Pete:

Thanks; I think Richard Fox's Picture per his Twitter of 30 March is a Library Picture.

Kind regards ~ Mike ….

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Wow; it all kicked off today for me down on the Erith Marshes.

After being fortunate enough to see a couple of newly arrived Little Ringed Plovers I was kept busy by the Butterflies.

Lots of Peacocks, forty plus and my first Brimstone, Orange-Tip and Small White Butterflies of the year.

I was particularly pleased to see the Orange-Tip. A gorgeous looking arrangement viz.
orangetiponeerithmarshes7april2015.jpg
orangetiptwoerithmarshes7april2015.jpg

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Another day and some more Butterflies.

A visit to a local Open Space provided some tip-top views of lots more Peacocks (at least fifteeen) and a handful of Small Tortoiseshells; plus I managed some pictures too:
peacockseastwickhamopenspace8april2015.jpg
smalltortoneeastwickhamopenspace8april2015.jpg
smalltorttwoeastwickhamopenspace8april2015.jpg
A few weeks ago I had wondered if I would be able to see any Cowslips locally this year.

The place where I had hoped to see some had been the subject of a brutal Strimmer Attack. However, I didn't need to worry; within a couple of weeks of the Attack the Cowslips were beginning to show and many have subsequently flowered.

And today; I saw many more plants in flower. Such as these super looking arrangements:
cowslipseastwickham8april2015.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,

Your Peacock duet is surely a prize winner. The shot of a lifetime !! :D .

Very best wishes,
TREVOR.

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Trevor; you are kind to notice them.
Thank you.
Kind regards ~ Mike ...

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I Agree, thats a spectacular Peacock image!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Me too Mike, great Peacock image, well done.

The Small Tortoiseshells are good too :)

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Agreed, that is a cracker of a Peacock shot Mike :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

I hadn't intended to add anything more for a few days (not wanting to outstay my welcome) but I photographed this Comma Butterfly today.

I got a surprise when I looked at the picture on the Computer. Until now, I have thought as Commas being just an Orange colour.

But the colour of this Butterfly is way beyond Orange; for me, it gives off a lovely warm glow.

The light perhaps but to me, the Butterfly looks absolutely stunning.
commaerithmarshes9april2015.jpg
This Butterfly watching game is really great fun. I really never know what I will stumble across next ...

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,

There is one problem with your Peacock image. I didn't take it!! :lol:.

All the best,
TREVOR.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I agree Mike, this spring sun, slightly hazy is really bringing out the colours, the reds and oranges really are very rich.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

A trip down to Lesnes Abbey Park and the nearby Woods to hopefully find some Cowslips, a Blackcap and a few Butterflies was fairly successful insofar as I managed to find some Cowslips and Butterflies. However; no Blackcap. But of course, there's always tomorrow.

And anyway; the flowers in the Park and Woods, including Bluebells, Common Dog-Violets, Cowslips, Honesty, Lesser Celandine, Wood Anemones and Wood-Sorrel were looking lovely.

I particularly liked the Common Dog-Violet:
violetlesnesabbeywood12april2015.jpg
In terms of Butterflies, I spotted 2/3 Brimstones, at least 2 Commas, 10+ Peacocks and at least 2 Small Tortoiseshells.

And I was fortunate enough to see this Brimstone Butterfly flitting from plant to plant in a Bluebell filled clearing:
brimstoneonelesnesabbeywoods12april2015.jpg
brimstonetwolesnesabbeywoods12april2015.jpg
Last edited by Mike Robinson on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Ah yes!, a Brimstone on a Bluebell, a lovely spring combination :D

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I'll second that - and so difficult to capture before they move on. Good stuff.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, your so lucky to have the Blue Bells out so soon, no sign here yet, your Brimstone photos are great really Spring like love the flower pics as well Goldie :D

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

millerd: thanks for noticing this. I was really lucky since the Butterfly was moving from Bluebell to Bluebell giving me plenty of chances to take pictures. The only other Brimstones I have seen this year have whooshed past me!

Goldie M.: thanks for noticing this. The Wild Daffodils in the local Woods have run their course now and both the Wood Anemones and Bluebells are starting to carpet the ground. I hope you won't have too long to wait for your Bluebells.

Mike Robinson

Post by Mike Robinson »

Wow; almost two months to the day since I last added anything.

But I have been out and about; generally locally and thoroughly enjoying myself.

But although it's always nice to see Butterflies &c., I think that for me, the principle joy of looking for Butterflies is to photograph them; and that any photographs will often include some lovely colourful flowers.

Such as we can see here in a couple of recent pictures:
commonbluefemaleerithmarshes4june2015.jpg
largeskippererithmarshes12june2015.jpg
I imagine that others must think the same?

I'm looking forward to lots more in the coming months; hopefully anyway.

Return to “Personal Diaries”