CFB

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
CFB

Re: CFB

Post by CFB »

I saw no butterflies this morning even though it was sunny and warm with however a coolish breeze. But this afternoon there was a female Brimstone in the garden for quite a long time going from one Rock Rose (Cistus albidus) plant to another, and from one flower to another on the same plant.
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
--
Colin

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Seeing that Rock Rose is quite amazing Colin.
Rock Rose is a long way off flowering over here in the Bouches du Rhone. :shock:
I hope the Mistral wind will soon calm down so that Orange Tips can venture out.
Chris

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
CFB

Post by CFB »

It was sunny this morning but with some thin high cloud, which made it cooler than the last couple of days. As a result of which the only butterflies seen were two or three Speckled Woods. This one was in very good condition.
IMG_2328.JPG
This afternoon in the garden we found this female Wall Brown. She was not very active, presumably due to the large piece missing on the starboard wing.
IMG_2341.JPG
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Once again sun, no clouds, but a cool breeze, the latter still apparently retarding the butterflies. But I did see my first Orange-tip #12 of the year. It was the only one I saw, and it never stopped flying. There were also a few Green Hairstreaks hiding in prickly bushes or in the grass, a couple of Speckled Woods which also never stopped flying, and a Wall Brown.

So, no photos :( :( :( .
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning was warm and sunny, but I saw no butterflies at all during the first 45 minutes. However on the way back, at and near the Pont des Dones there were several Orange-tips ...
IMG_2383.JPG
... one Comma ...
IMG_2389.JPG
... my first Wood White #13 of the year (I don't know what the brown mark on the wing is) ...
IMG_2382.JPG
... and my first Small White #14 of the year ...
IMG_2401.JPG
There was a good crop of Italian bluebells or Italian squills (Hyacinthoides italica) which make up a bit for the absence of "real" bluebells in my area ...
IMG_2391.JPG
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Another sunny day, with a few small clouds in the afternoon. During my walk in the Parc de la Brague this morning I saw very few butterflies: two or three Wall Browns, two or three Green Hairstreaks ...
IMG_2403.JPG
... and one Wood White ...
IMG_2414.JPG
Close investigation reveals what looks like a mosquito on it left antenna :? .
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Along the Brague this morning there were very few butterflies to be seen. There was however my first Small Heath #15 of the year. I didn't manage to get very close to it:
IMG_2418.JPG
Nearby there were two Orange-tips taking advantage of the Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata):
IMG_2419.JPG
I also saw one Wall Brown.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

I was very pleased this morning to encounter my first Spanish Festoon #16 of the year. It was at one of the two sites where I manage to see them every year.
IMG_2433.JPG
I also saw a few Wood Whites, one male Cleopatra, several Brimstones and one or two Wall Browns. But the Orange-tips were the most numerous.
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Great shots Colin.
I will be keeping my eyes open for Spanish Festoon and Small Heath then. Neither are common over my way, but I'll know what to be looking out for. :D
Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

Chris,

In my ignorance I assumed that Small Heaths were pretty common everywhere, but I see from my "Papillons de jour Atlas de PACA" that it's not very common even in the south of the Var.

Today, particularly this afternoon, has been very hot. This morning I managed zero photos even though there were very many male Orange-tips, many Wood Whites, one Wall Brown, one high-speed non-stop Scarce Swallowtail #17, and one tiny male Baton Blue #18.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Another sunny, warm day :) .

This morning I saw my first Small Copper #19 of the year, in fact there were two of them in close proximity of each other.
IMG_2459.JPG
Other than that, there were several male Orange-tips, several Speckled Woods and an unidentified Blue, presumably a Holly Blue.

I had hoped to see some Western Dappled White, bit didn't :( .
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

No photos today :( :( :( . But I did see my first Western Dappled White #20 of the year :) . In fact there were several of them. Also my first Provence Orange-tip #21 of the year :D . Also several Speckled Woods and a couple of Small Whites.
--
Colin

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just gone through your postings Colin and I think your photo's are great especially the Orange tip and the Brimstones which I've yet to see, it's been too cold here so they seem rather late this year compared to last when I'd got loads of photos by now.Goldie :D :mrgreen:

CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks Goldie. Things here also seem to be slow compared to last year, 21 species compared to 27 so far. And also, several of this year's sightings were of just one individual. And this morning it is cloudy and cool. Let's hope that things get better soon.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

Well things did get better in the afternoon. After rain in the night and clouds this morning, this afternoon it was sunny and warm around the Vallon des Dones.

I saw my first Painted Ladies #22 of the year (4 of them, but no photos :( :( ), 2 Spanish Festoons with photos of underside and upperside,
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG
2 Small Heaths, 2 or 3 Speckled Woods, a few Wood Whites including this courting couple,
IMG_2526.JPG
several Brimstones, a couple of male Cleopatras, including this one with lots of additional spots :? :? :? on all underside wings,
IMG_2535.JPG
1 Western Dappled White,
IMG_2486.JPG
many Orange-tips including this lovely female,
IMG_2482.JPG
1 Baton Blue,
IMG_2477.JPG
1 Comma, and, for the first time this year, several Berger's Clouded Yellows #23.
IMG_2514.JPG
--
Colin
Last edited by CFB on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFB

Post by CFB »

Very few butterflies flying this morning, but there were a couple of Speckled Yellow moths (Pseudopanthera macularia).
IMG_2551.JPG
--
Colin

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Those Festoon photos are great, Colin.
Glad to see your tally is increasing progressively - a sign that Spring is getting into gear.
Your 'freckled' Cleopatra IS intriguing.
I have seen Painted Ladies over my way, on and off since the start of the year - they breeze on by and are never localized.

Cheers, Chris

CFB

Post by CFB »

I'm glad you liked my Spanish Festoons, Chris. Have you not seen any yet this year? What is interesting as well is that there is at present absolutely no sign of their LHP Aristolochia pistolochia. But I suppose they know what they are doing :) .
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning, which was sunny with some wind, I went via the Pont des Dones to Roche d'Ardy.
I saw 4 or 5 Painted Ladies who were very active, though one did eventually allow me to take several photos,
IMG_2576.JPG
several Brimstones including this female which I think I probably woke-up,
IMG_2589.JPG
one Speckled Wood,
IMG_2592.JPG
and several Wood Whites, including this courting couple.
IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2609.JPG
I also saw one Baton Blue, a couple of Wall Browns, a few Berger's Clouded Yellows, two Spanish Festoons (no photos today), several Orange-tips and one Small Heath.
--
Colin

CFB

Post by CFB »

It was sunny and warm (about 19°C) but with a little wind this morning along the Piste du Collet des Espéres.

I saw my first Black-eyed Blue #24 of the year, a male, a butterfly I don't often see. It didn't stay around for very long, but I did manage to get photos of the upperside and underside.
IMG_2630.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG
There were still plenty of Painted Ladies, around 6 or 7.
IMG_2641.JPG
There were a couple of Baton Blues in the same place as the Black-eyed Blue, enjoying the thyme.
IMG_2635.JPG
And of course :) :) :) there were several Spanish Festoons.
IMG_2670.JPG
Other butterflies seen were several Orange-tips and Brimstones, a couple of Wall Browns, a couple of Green Hairstreaks, several Wood Whites and many Berger's Clouded Yellows.

I also found this Libelloides coccajus. I think it must have just emerged from pupation (if that is the word), as it showed no sign of flying away.
IMG_2658.JPG
--
Colin

Return to “Personal Diaries”