Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by bugboy »

Nick Broomer wrote:I thought that the laying of Brimstone ovum on the top of a leaf was common practice, as i have come across this behaviour frequently, [just like Buggy]

All the best, Nick..
I guess one argument would be that eggs laid on the upperside are more obvious and therefore more likely to be seen.... :?:

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I would have thought that the question should be. Will the larva survive when they emerge from the ovum? Probably not, as i am lead to believe that most newly hatched larva prefer young, succulent leaves to feed on, not mature leaves. The newly emerged larva i know are supposed to go of and find suitable leaves to feed on, but this is not always the case. I have observed a few species of larva, Wood White, Comma etc. that when hatched they just sit on the mature leaf/plant their ovum was laid on and die, without moving, staying in the same position on the leaf.

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Nick,

Just catching up on your diary and your fascinating series of Wood White posts. Am I right in assuming from your posts that the Chiddingfold Wood Whites always have a second brood? The colonies here in the midlands tend to fly a bit later and the second brood is often a partial affair only occurring in favourable years.

I have also found Brimstone eggs on both sides of the leaf and also on newly unfurling buds.

Cheers,

Neil.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the wood Whites are double brooded down here at Chiddingfold Wood. The 2nd brood are quite stunning and, my favourite of the two broods. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Yesterday, early afternoon, a male Brimstone payed a visit to my garden. Good job he did, [no photo] as i'm far to busy working to go running around the countryside. So here are a few from last year.
Brimstone larva 1st instar 011-10_1.jpg
Just hatched from ovum, 1st instar Brimstone larva, with first feed hole in leaf.
IMG_2663-5 Brimstone larva 2nd instar_1.jpg
2nd instar Brimstone larva in the typical, i've been disturbed posture.
IMG_2513-1 Brimstone larva 3rd instar.jpg
3rd instar Brimstone larva where you would normally find them when not feeding, resting on the rib of the leaf. Even though this one is just passing a lump of frass.
IMG_6554-1 Brimstone female_1.jpg
Female Brimstone.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More stunning photographs recently Nick and good to see that you're off the mark :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

thank you for your kind comments, as always appreciated. :D

I was actually off the mark back in January. I posted on sightings, rather than my diary. :wink:

I still haven't managed to get out and, probably will not be able to for at least another two weeks. On the 8th march last year i saw over one hundred butterflies on my local patch. So far this year only two butterflies, one Peacock and one Brimstone.

All the best, Nick.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nick Broomer wrote:On the 8th march last year i saw over one hundred butterflies on my local patch.
:shock: So your local patch is a butterfly house then......... :lol:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Buggy,

the weather was really hot for that time of year and for the whole of that particular weekend, [8th and 9th March] so it was quite like a hot house, but only out doors. :D

Here are a few photos from that weekend, all Commas and Brimstones.
comma 018-2.jpg
comma 021-2.jpg
cw 067-1.jpg
comma 005-1.jpg
All the Comma photos were taken in one small pocket of the wood.
cw 015-1.jpg
cw 018-1.jpg
cw 029-1.jpg
cw 038-1.jpg
All the Brimstone photos were taken on the banks of ditches.

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Nick :mrgreen: We in the West seem to be behind again already this year as my local area keeps missing out on the good weather :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

thanks for your kind comments again. Appreciated as always. :D

I,m sure you will get some good weather sooner or later, and i wish you luck with the butterflies when that day arrives. :D

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Continuing with the theme of the Comma.
Comma ovum, after 8 days 040-2_1.jpg
Comma ovum after eight days.
Comma ovum 067_2.jpg
Comma ovum after twelve days. The larva emerged the following day.
IMG_8728-1.jpg
3rd instar Comma larva, the photo i needed for the full set of Comma instar photos. Looked for, and found close to home..
IMG_8818-1.jpg
3rd instar Comma larva, up close and personal.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the wish of good luck Nick - I was hoping to use it today but instead I was ripping down the last of our lathe and plaster ceiling - I ended up looking not too disimilar to the close up view of the Comma :roll: :lol: Cracking shot that is :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

like you i have been unable to get out and about due to work commitments on the home front, landscaping the garden again, new patios, paths etc.

But i have still managed to see three species of butterfly so far.

Thank you for your kind comments. Appreciated.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Friday afternoon, 27th March i managed to escape from my landscaping duties at home, and nipped over to Chiddingfold Wood for a couple of hours. But shortly after arriving, the sun which had shone brightly late morning, [seeing one each of, Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell in the garden ]had after half an hour of being there was obscured by a large formation of cloud. So i decided to visit my favourite Comma hotspot in the wood and, maybe get one or two photos, if the sun would reappear. On arrival the sun was trying hard to break through the cloud again, so i sat down on a pile of logs for a bite to eat. I was scanning the habitat around me when i saw what i thought was a Comma roosting in the Bracken to the left of me and, on closer inspection i was right. I have often thought of Commas roosting and how difficult it must be to find one and always thought, one day, and now that day has arrived. Well chuffed.
Roosting Comma, Chiddingfold Wood, Surrey, 27.3.2015.JPG
Roosting Comma.
IMG_5531.JPG
Of course there is always the obstruction of some vegetation partly hiding the butterfly.
IMG_5547.JPG
So very carefully i managed to move the obtrusive piece of Bracken without disturbing the Comma to obtain a clear shot of the butterfly.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Butterflies seen so far this year. Comma, Red Admiral, [both in poor numbers] Brimstone, [in average numbers] Small White [in good numbers so far] Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshell [in very good numbers for this area] Orange-tip one so far.
IMG_5990.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Nick,
Nice Orange Tip image . None round here yet but plenty of Cuckoo Flower.
I spent sometime at a local OT.hotspot today , and all I saw was Commas.

Keep up the good work,
TREVOR.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot of the OT Nick, I've only seen the one and there doesn't seem to be any Cuckoo flowers out yet so hopefully next week will see the main me emergence.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Trevor and Wurzel,

thank you for your comments, appreciated as always.

Today i saw my 8th species of butterfly for the year, a very fresh male Holly Blue. A rarity in these parts.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Took today off work to finish landscaping my garden, which i have, at last.

Butterflies seen in my garden whilst working, 8 Orange-tips, [2 females, 6 males] and 3 Large Whites males. Took a short walk to check on a couple of Brown Hairstreaks ovum that i hope to monitor when the larva have emerged. But still not hatched, they should emerge in the next week.
One of two Brown Hairstreak eggs that have not hatched yet, [facing west].
One of two Brown Hairstreak eggs that have not hatched yet, [facing west].
Butterflies seen on my walk, 3 male Brimstone, 2 Large White males, 5 Small Tortoiseshell, [4 males, one female] 4 Peacock, one Small White male and, half a dozen Orange-tip [5 males, one female].
IMG_6332.JPG
Last edited by Nick Broomer on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”