March 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: March 2015

Post by Vince Massimo »

3 male Brimstones for me at lunchtime today plus a Comma, all at Broadfield Pond, Crawley. Temperature was approximately 13C with a brisk south-westerly wind. Surprisingly, no Red Admirals at my local hot-spot.

Vince

Edit: I went back to the site on 10th March and the Comma was still in exactly the same place, so managed to get a photo.
Comma - Broadfield Pond, Crawley 10-March-2015
Comma - Broadfield Pond, Crawley 10-March-2015
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

A dozen Small Tortoiseshells seen on the banks of Ferring Rife on Saturday afternoon (7th March).
UKB Small Tortoiseshell underside, Ferring Rife, 7.3.15.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Vince Massimo wrote:Surprisingly, no Red Admirals at my local hot-spot.
Perhaps they've all dispersed now the weather's warmed up, Vince?
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Glorious Saturday spring weather had me venturing out (without coat or jumper for the first time this year) for a walk along the Basingstoke canal and an opportunity to try out my Macro lens. Initially I'd fitted the camera with my Tamron zoom mindful that I would need the reach that a zoom offers. I'd barely got on the towpath when I spotted a Small Tortoieshell basking in the sunshine on the growing head of a nettle sprouting through leaf litter :D . A passing jogger set it off (usual story) but it circled and came back for a second time and then a third and a fourth ...etc. After getting my record shots I switched to the macro lens (Sigma 70mm) and then reality of macro photography kicked-in ...... that reality being the gruelling challenge that comes from getting a 56 years of age bulky frame supported on bent creaking knees in a suitable position for ground-level shots all the while trying not to set off my quarry :shock: . A different ball game is macro work :lol: . Still I think the end result was worth it and with practice it can only get better.
ST Tamron zoom
ST Tamron zoom
ST Sigma macro
ST Sigma macro
Tamron zoom
Tamron zoom
Sigma macro
Sigma macro
The small Tort was my first butterfly of 2015 (just a day after my first 2015 moth (Common Quaker)). A few years ago in the Woking area I'd be lucky to see a single Small Tort all year. On this canal walk I saw two which although not the 'swarms' that Wurzel gets over his neck of the woods :wink: , bodes well for this species in this area :) .

The endpoint for my walk was the Bronze-age barrow (burial) site on Horsell Common with the hope of seeing Comma at a specific area in a clearing among the crackling pines. And I wasn't disappointed as like an old friend there 'he' was, waiting for me within a square metre to last year's spring sightings :o . I have no idea why the Commas like this particular spot :?:
Unlike the Small Tort he was far more alert to my lumbering attempts to get close and after being put up for the third time he made off for good. I only got a macro lens record shot to show for it (should've switched back to my zoom ...... :idea: perhaps I need another camera body (or just a new body .... perhaps I should re-join the Gym :? :lol: )
2015.03.07 IMG_1437 Comma, Bronze-age Burial site,  sgm mac.jpg
After the abstinence of the winter months the feel-good factor I got out of this little venture was very high .... a taster of what's to come. No Peacocks or Brimstones yet but shouldn't be long now :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Splendid shots,Phil, and you're really making the most of your macro - love the detail round the eyes of your ST.

I certainly sympathise with your kneeling problem and can offer two thoughts: I use a monopod, which has the dual purpose of providing camera support and also provides a stick, to help push myself up from low-level shots (though I'm now at the stage where my wife sometimes needs to give a pull as well). I also use a right-angle finder (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagull-Finder- ... 004CGE90U/ for example). Many of these also have a magnifier, which helps get really crisp focus with a macro.

Another couple of thoughts for ultimate quality: try not to use apertures much smaller (higher numbers) than f/11, because diffraction takes the edge off the sharpness at very small apertures, and try to use a lower ISO than 1600, to reduce graininess. I try to keep below 400 ISO whenever possible.

You are off to a good start for the coming season :)

Mike
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for the tips Mike :) . I'll send you a PM with my views on your suggestions.

Phil
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

A Visit to Hutchinson's Bank today, produced sightings of the following 2 Comma, 2 Small Tortoiseshell and a male Brimstone. The Glanville Fritillary larvae have also waken up and are sunbathing on their web.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

MrSp0ck wrote:The Glanville Fritillary larvae have also waken up and are sunbathing on their web.
Thanks for that info MrSp0ck. Missed out on the Glannies at Hutchinson's last year (not many there by all accounts). Are more expected this year?

Phil
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Hi Phil

we had 30 on the transect last year, but by the time they were listed on this site , they had mainly finished. 4th May was the first sighting in 2014.

Hopefully we will have a good year this year, as they should be slightly later, with more nectar around for them, they were a bit early last year.
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Completed the full set of over-wintering species this morning on Hayes Common with Comma and Peacock .
David M

Post by David M »

Got out for an hour yesterday afternoon after things brightened up slightly.

Linda Vista Gardens in Abergavenny was looking lovely, with spring blooms abounding:
1LVG(1).jpg
Sadly, whilst it was warm enough for butterfly activity, the sun wouldn't stay out for more than a few minutes at a time so nothing was flying.

I did, however, find a solitary, tatty Small Tortoiseshell on the adjacent Castle Meadows:
1STCM(1).jpg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Unfortunately, i was confined to the house/back garden for this last weekend :( which proved to be the best/warmest days so far this year...and i just know if i had of be able to go out, Im sure i would have sighted/photographed both Butterflies and Reptiles!!!

So, a bit of garden watching was carried out instead. I was treated to a Brimstone visiting my garden, which Im sure is only my 2nd garden sighting of this species? I also saw a Small Tortoiseshell, and a possible Comma? So all was not lost, and the Brimstone even landed (twice) for me to grab a quick record shot for the garden(although i was hanging over my garden fence to make the shot!)

Garden photos, 7/3/15, location- Kent.
Trusty old Panasonic FZ28 used, because my Nikon D7100 had the nikon macro 105mm VR lens mounted!

Cheers Paul.

Spot the Brimstone in this pic! image is not cropped.
7th-March-2015-to-600a.jpg

Next image is cropped.
7th-March-2015-to-600.jpg

Just to throw in another image here...Ive had both Wood Mouse and Bank Voles visit my garden for several years now. I place crushed peanuts and bird seed on my garden rockery, to entice these beautiful fascinating creatures in to feed. With a little time and patience(well a whole lot of time!) i am able to get quite close to these little Rodents, in order to take some close up images.
This image of a young Wood Mouse is unusual, because the mouse only has the one ear!!! it would seem that the other ear did not develope naturally/normally.

Nikon D7100 with nikon macro 105mm VR lens used. This image is not cropped at all.
7th-March-2015-to-700.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Just a single male Brimstone at lunch time today which was disappointing given the clear skies and light winds.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

After a few blank visits to the Red Admiral hot-spot in Crawley, I got a brief sighting today. The temperature was 12C in hazy sunshine with a light south-easterly wind. Just lately most sightings have been of individuals which are not on my database and so new to the site. This was another new one.
Red Admiral - Crawley, Sussex 11-March-2015
Red Admiral - Crawley, Sussex 11-March-2015
There was a regular visitor, seen on most visits between 17th February and 6th March, but this has gone. I'm not exactly sure how butterflies are using this site, as new ones keep appearing, but I have never seen more than 2 together. They seem to be rotating through, with some staying longer than others. As David has suggested, they may be dispersing, but new ones keep being drawn in. I do have a theory which seems to fit the observations, but have no way of proving it.

At the end of the month I will write a brief report summarising the observations made on this site between November and March to see if anyone can make sense of them.

Vince
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Reasonably pleasant day out of the nippy breeze today but only a Red Admiral flyby and a S. Tortoiseshell who wouldn't sit still to show for it.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Hi, Gang
Here we go!
A probable Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell was reported today in Norfolk.
Details on http://www.bugalert.net
Happy hunting
Adrian Riley
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Finally got out into the "woods" yesterday (12/3/15)...I took an extended lunch break from work, in order to search for Butterflies and Reptiles!

I sighted a possible 2 Commas, 1 Peacock, an 1 Red Admiral. So thats all 5 hibernating species found for 2015, because i had Brimstone/Small Tortoiseshell in my garden last weekend, and i already had the Small Tortoiseshell/Red Admiral sightings in January anyway.

Ive also added a Comma to my species list, for coaxing it onto my hand/finger too. All the images are shot with Nikon D7100/Nikon macro 105mm VR lens. Location - Kent.

Cheers Paul.

This 1st Comma image is not cropped.
12th-March-2015-9834-to-700.jpg

This next shot is cropped, of the Comma on my finger tip. I only captured this one shot, because it took flight almost straight away!
12th-March-2015-to-600a.jpg

I dont want to post too many Reptile pics on a Butterfly site/forum :roll: but some members might have an interest.
In approx an hour, i sighted 7 male Adders (Vipera berus) and 3 common Lizards, an just the 1 Slow Worm.

Here is a shot of one of the snakes seen on the day, this photo is not cropped.
12th-March-2015-9775-to-700.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

I'm most envious, TM. Comma is the only adult overwinterer I've yet to see thus far in 2015!!
RobS

Post by RobS »

First butterfly of 2015 for me ...A small tort at Dinton pastures, Berks.Let the season begin !!
Cheers
Rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Penhale Paul

Post by Penhale Paul »

A good albeit brief butterfly encounter today. A quick check down a path/track which is a bit of a sun trap produced three new species for the year, 1x Brimstone, 3x Small Tortoishell and a surprise White presumed to be a Small(?). Probably only spent about 15 minutes there as i was passing that way :) , was good to see something other than Peacocks and Red Ads although they are all appreciated :D
That brings the tally to 21 butterflies covering 5 species for the year so far and with no work and a good forcast for tomorrow hopefully a few more could be added :roll:

Only a very poor phone snap i'm afraid but a Small white i presume?

Return to “Sightings”