Bawsey Pits Norfolk

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Bawsey Pits Norfolk

Post by Jack Harrison »

Good opportunity to have conservation input into what is thought to be location of Grizzled and Dingy Skipper
http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/troubled_ba ... _1_3927475

The Eastern Daily Press never appreciates the importance of maps (despite some lobbying from me) or giving some indication of location.
I happen to know where Bawsey is (having lived not far away) but not everyone would.
So here is the map reference TF674196 which suggests it already is a Country Park :?: (Just east of King's Lynn)

Jack
NickB

Re: Bawsey Pits Norfolk

Post by NickB »

Jack
My son has just moved to a job in local government as a Conservation Officer. He finds that there is NO budget for him to use, as it is all "outsourced" to contractors (who are ******** useless) as profit is their first concern, not conservation. He is expected to raise other funds through developing projects with outside bodies, so I can see that any outsider would be welcomed. The question is, do they really have conservation as their first priority.....?
From the above link, there seems scepticism of the company and individual involved.....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
HarassedDad

Re: Bawsey Pits Norfolk

Post by HarassedDad »

Norfolk BC had a good relationship with the original extraction company and have done scrub clearance there for the skippers. We're hopeful for the new owners: the skippers are mainly in two small discrete areas, so they should be able to co-exist with everything else, given good will.

Return to “Conservation”