Nick Morgan

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
IAC

Re: Nick Morgan

Post by IAC »

Nick..Brimstone butterflies have been sighted up here at least once every year. Photographic evidence is quite hard to come by. A few years ago a photograph was taken of a Brimstone in flight around the railway line at Spittal, Berwick Upon Tweed. My theory is that these Brimstone sightings, sporadic as they are, are possibly being imported from down south via nurseries and garden centers. It would have been interesting to see if there was any Buckthorn that had been newly planted and then to trace its origin. Brimstone can wander quite far from there population centres...however a few hundred miles is perhaps a little to far to be a wandering migrant...possibly. I just cant say how much Buckthorn exists in Scotland as a whole. In the wild it is very rare, however in towns and cities....?

Davids question is impossible to answer just now. Not likely to be anything soon. Comma, Speckled Wood, Large Skipper, and Wall Brown have all been recorded in the south of Scotland in previous centuries...as far back as the 18th century. Orange Tip and Peacock have also returned to previous haunts this past 50 years after local extinctions. Small Skipper is though quite a different thing altogether as they had previously never been recorded in Eastern Scotland. Hard to believe when you see them in their hundreds in July time.

Gatekeepers simply wont shift north until they are forced to change. Butterflies are evolving all the time to suit conditions...and when conditions dictate perhaps a trigger to expand occurs...a trigger that the Small Skipper has clearly responded too. I will leave the causes for these adaptations to the experts...I have not got a clue. All I know is, that we are very lucky indeed to be witnessing first hand a natural phenomenon that may be unprecedented since perhaps the last ice age. We are all quite butterfly orientated here, but I have noticed a large number of new insects of all groups invading from the south. My second love the Dragonflies and Damselflies are much more common and diverse than they ever were. The Banded Demoiselle is now one of the most common riverside Damsels... And then there is the annual additions to the moth list, the bird list....and on and on. We are almost guaranteed something new every season to lookout for.....which is nice. :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm sure Purple Hairstreak & Holly Blue are lurking somewhere up there. As for Brimstones, it's interesting to compare the distribution atlas for the butterfly itself alongside that of its foodplant:

Brimstone: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribu ... ies=rhamni
Brimstone.gif
Alder Buckthorn: http://www.bsbimaps.org.uk/atlas/hectadmap.php?spid=839
Alder Buckthorn.png
The information seems to suggest that where the LHP is found, the butterfly too is likely to be about.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

That is interesting to see David. If I had a bigger garden I would be tempted to plant some buckthorn!!

Have you seen any new species moving into South Wales in the last few years?

David M

Post by David M »

NickMorgan wrote:
Have you seen any new species moving into South Wales in the last few years?
Only Essex Skipper to be honest, Nick. Having an ocean immediately south of us presents a bit of a barrier to some of the English species for which there is suitable habitat here.

Lineola seems to be creeping west (established round the Cardiff area now). I keep checking the the golden skippers at the Alun Valley High Brown site near Bridgend as I wouldn't be surprised to see Essex turn up there at some point. I also think Brown, Purple and White Letter Hairstreaks are probably much under-recorded.

The sad aspect is the loss or near loss of some species here over the last few decades, notably Pearl Bordered and High Brown Fritillary. That said, Marsh Fritillaries can be found in numbers at the right locations and species such as Small Blue, Dark Green Fritillary, Grayling, Dingy Skipper & Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary are relatively common if you know where to look.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have been mapping our Speckled Wood records onto GIS, which shows very nicely how they have spread since they first appeared in East Lothian six years ago. As with some other species the first record was at the eastern corner of the county.
Speckled Woods 2009.jpg
Only one record was received in 2010, but I am sure there were others hiding out there somewhere!
Speckled Woods 2010.jpg
In May 2011 I found a pair of Speckled Woods in John Muir Country Park and subsequent visits in June and September found them at exactly the same spot. They were also seen in various other locations within the park. That year we also received records from Innerwick and at Yellowcraig about 12 kilometres west.
Speckled Woods 2011.jpg
Despite the poor summer of 2012 I still received a number of records of Speckled Woods. They continued to be seen at JMCP and one was seen on two occasions in a small woodland close to Traprain Law. Most exciting were a number of records received from the Aberlady area, another large leap away.
Speckled Woods 2012.jpg
2013 was a fantastic year for butterflies and Speckled Woods seemed to do as well, if not better than most species. They spread for six or seven kilometres up the River Tyne from JMCP and continued to do very well in the woodland around Aberlady, spreading westwards along the coast to Port Seton. They also seemed to be spreading along the woodland on the Longniddry to Haddington Railway Walk towards Haddington. Late in the season, records were received from Skateraw and Thorntonloch, nicely filling in a gap on the east coast and in November a record was received from the coast on the west of the county, showing that they had spread the length of the East Lothian coast in five years!
Speckled Woods 2013.jpg
In 2014 Speckled Woods continued to expand their range, following the River Tyne up to Haddington and moving inland towards Gifford and Saltoun Woods. In late summer they became the most numerous butterfly seen in many parts of East Lothian, and on 10th September I saw over 400 in a wood near Aberlady.
Speckled Woods 2014.jpg
The increase in Speckled Wood records again last year must have been partly attributable to more people looking for them and sending records in, but I think we have still built up a pretty good indication of how the species has spread over this time. The rate of spread of the species seems quite remarkable and it is difficult to understand why Speckled Woods are extending their range at such a rate. It is easy to label this as another consequence of climate change, but since 2009 we have experienced two of the coldest winters in recent history and the wettest summer on record!
I am really looking forward to seeing if Speckled Woods spread to the remaining areas of East Lothian this year.

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent graphic, Nick.

Looks like they've colonised comprehensively in your 'patch'.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Inspired by my visit to Inchkeith island to look for over-wintering butterflies last November, I have been occupying myself this winter looking for hibernating butterflies here in East Lothian.

I started by looking in a local ruined castle. It has an underground chamber, which I thought could be perfect for butterflies to shelter in for the winter. I didn't find any in the main chamber, but the tunnel leading into it had two Peacock butterflies in it, just behind this arch:
1.JPG
I think there was too much light in the main chamber, but the tunnel was very dark.
2.JPG
After that a friend and I were given permission to have a look around the buildings on a large estate near the coast. We checked out some of the buildings, including the boathouse and curling house, but they were both too light. Unfortunately, the most likely buildings, including an ice house were locked up. However, we found an old stone shed in the walled garden and sneaked a look around the door. There in the rafters we spotted several Peacock butterflies. Unfortunately, my camera couldn't focus on them in the dark. We think there were at least 18 in this group and there were two other smaller clusters.
3.JPG
On another occasion I checked out the old bread oven in another castle.
3a.JPG
Initially, I thought there was nothing there, but then I noticed a Small Tortoiseshell in the crack between two stones.
4.JPG
It wasn't until I was looking at my pictures that I noticed that what I thought was one butterfly turned out to be two roosting next to each other. These two are perilously close to a spider's nest.
5.JPG
There were 16 butterflies bin total scattered around the oven. I found it interesting that the first two locations had only Peacock butterflies and this castle had only Small Tortoiseshells.

At work, I met an archaeologist and I mentioned to him what I had found and asked him if there were any other old buildings he could recommend. He suggested a ruined house on the coast that had an old bread oven in the cellar.
6.JPG
Sure enough when we looked inside the bread oven there were some Peacock butterflies.
7.JPG
Some of them were rather worn, showing the colour of the upper side of their wings. We found eleven Peacocks there. At each of these locations I also spotted Herald moths and mosquitoes sharing the winter accommodation.

I rent an old barn on a nearby farm where I keep a couple of old cars and our log supply. Last weekend I was collecting some logs when I noticed some butterfly wings on the floor. The more I looked the more I found. I counted over 100 individual wings, which would mean at least 25 butterflies. Most of the wings were from Small Tortoiseshells, but there were about ten Peacock wings, too.
8.JPG
A couple of years ago we stapled some thick polythene sheeting across the rafters to stop pigeons roosting there. This must have created a nice dark space for butterflies to hibernate. Unfortunately, I guess it is also home to several spiders, which have been enjoying a good feed. I hope that a good number of butterflies have managed to make it through the winter and will soon be flying around the farm.

Last week I received my first 2015 record of a butterfly flying in East Lothian. I am excited to think that I will soon be seeing butterflies again. But, strangely, I am looking forward to next winter now that I know the sorts of places to look for hibernating butterflies!

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent detective work, Nick.

Just goes to show how many hibernating butterflies become victims of predation.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Nick, Great set of pics of hibernating butterflies.

Large numbers of butterfly wings on the floor as you describe and illustrate is normally a sign of bat predation where they have eaten the body and discarded the wings. If they were spider meals the wings would most likely still be attached to the empty husk bodies and wrapped in silk. It's also unlikely spiders would feed on hibernating insects since they rely on and react to motion whereas bats would probably be able to smell their prey in this situation (I actually have no idea how good a sense of smell bats have but they are mammals so I'm assuming it's quite good). Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact your local branch of the Bat Conservation Trust to confirm if there are any around? :)

Buggy

Some addictions are good for the soul!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks David. Yes, there is still so much more that I would like to know. I guess that thinking about the number of Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells I see flying in late summer and the much smaller number I see in the spring tells us something about how many don't make it through the winter.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

bugboy wrote:Hi Nick, Great set of pics of hibernating butterflies.

Large numbers of butterfly wings on the floor as you describe and illustrate is normally a sign of bat predation where they have eaten the body and discarded the wings. If they were spider meals the wings would most likely still be attached to the empty husk bodies and wrapped in silk. It's also unlikely spiders would feed on hibernating insects since they rely on and react to motion whereas bats would probably be able to smell their prey in this situation (I actually have no idea how good a sense of smell bats have but they are mammals so I'm assuming it's quite good). Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact your local branch of the Bat Conservation Trust to confirm if there are any around? :)

Buggy
Thanks for the information Buggy. There are bound to be a lot of bats around the farm as the farmer has gone to a lot of effort to provide great habitats all over the farm for wildlife. That is where I often run my moth trap. It would be interesting to have a peek in the space created by the polythene to see if there are any bats up there.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

NickMorgan wrote:
bugboy wrote:Hi Nick, Great set of pics of hibernating butterflies.

Buggy
Thanks for the information Buggy. There are bound to be a lot of bats around the farm as the farmer has gone to a lot of effort to provide great habitats all over the farm for wildlife. That is where I often run my moth trap. It would be interesting to have a peek in the space created by the polythene to see if there are any bats up there.
No worries Nick, Looking at your pictures it would be hugely surprising if there weren't bats in those areas. Just worth pointing out that it's illegal to disturb bat roosts anywhere in the UK. Not sure if 'having a peek' constitutes disturbing. If you can lay your hands on a bat detector though you will be able to identify what species are about from their sonar.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Ah, good idea. My dad has a bat detector I could borrow.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A very intersting report about hibernating butterflies in old castles, Nick.

Those discarded butterfly wings remind me down here of mantises. The mantises hide in buddleia bushes and very deftly catch all sorts of flying insects, and they also unceremoniously discard the wings of their BF victims at the foot of the bush.

Cheers, Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting report Nick - I'll have to see if there are any old ruins round this way for some hibernation action next winter :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks Chris and Wurzel. Yes, this is a great way of keeping yourself occupied during the winter months. Tomorrow I am picking up a key from the factor of a local estate for an ancient abandoned house. It will be interesting to see if there are any butterflies there. So far, I have only found Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells. I am sure there should be some Commas out there somewhere. I even thought that possibly a Red Admiral may have tried to hibernate up here. Now I know the sorts of places to look, I will be putting in more effort next year to check out potential overwintering places.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

A combination of personal disasters and lousy weather has rather limited my butterfly sorties so far this year. However, on the few occasions I have managed to get out I have been very pleased with what I have seen.
Butterfly numbers have generally been very low, with cold weather through most of April and May. Numbers of whites have been very low, but Orange Tips have managed to cope better with the weather.
P1080541.JPG
There are still quite a few Orange Tips flying.
After two previous visits to a site where we found Green Hairstreaks last year we at last found them on 26 May. Up until that time the ground temperature had been very cold and any sunny weather usually followed a sharp frost. We had noticed that when you buried your hand into the tussocks where the Green Hairstreak chrysalis would have been, it was very much cooler than the air temperature. It was fantastic to see these butterflies again.
P1080706.JPG
I noticed last year that all of the Green Hairstreaks that I found were within about 10 metres of Spruce plantations. I had assumed this was because the trees offered shelter. Those that we found this year were along the edge of a Pine plantation and in a clearing. As we watched them we noticed that they regularly flew up into the Pines and settled on the young shoots. On two occasions a pair of Green Hairstreaks spiralled up into the trees together and immediately start mating. I wonder if this is behaviour that has been observed elsewhere?
P1080868.JPG
Last week a friend and I drove down to the Scottish Borders to look for Small Blues at a site just north of the English border. We were not disappointed and managed to pick the best weather of the week. We estimate that we saw about 40 Small Blues in this colony.
P1080951.JPG
P1080968.JPG
There were plenty of Small Heaths flying and a few Wall Browns, hinting that if the weather remains good we may still have a good year ahead of us.
P1080960.JPG
While we were down there we popped along to another coastal site renowned for its colony of Northern Brown Argus. Once we found the specific site we were not to be disappointed. Below a steep hillside covered in Rockrose was a patch of Valerian where we saw about 20 Northern Brown Argus.
P1090048.JPG
P1090074.JPG
We also saw our first Common Blue of the season.
P1090021.JPG
There are plenty of other species still to appear. It will be really interesting to see if the second generation of whites is more successful than the first. I have seen hardly any Small Whites so far this year. Also after a bumper crop of Speckled Woods last autumn, they have been noticeably reduced in numbers. This is a strange thing to say, as they only first appeared here in 2009, but they had been increasing and spreading at an amazing rate. Again, I am hoping that the next generation will be more numerous than the first generation this year.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I realise now that it is over six months since I posted in my diary. It wasn't the best of butterfly years for me for various reasons. Our old Labrador and my butterflying companion Jimmy was put to sleep earlier in the year. He had battled on despite cancer, a damaged eye and latterly three legs and made it to 13 years old. It is never an easy decision to make, but we had to do what was best for him.
075 - Copy.JPG
Then in June we had a chimney fire and the house wasn't sorted out until the end of October. This caused much disruption and I still can't find where we temporarily put some of our stuff!!
The weather this year could only be described as grey. South-east Scotland seemed to be in between the sunny spells that occurred further north and south. I shouldn't complain, as we also seem to have been between the heavy rainfall that has recently hit the north of England and eastern Scotland.
I am still waiting to get in the last few butterfly records for East Lothian, but it seems that the weather didn't have too much of an impact.
2015 seemed to be a particularly good year for Common Blues. Maybe I just happened to be out and about at the right time, but there seemed to be more of them around than I remember seeing before. Also I saw a lot more females than I have ever seen in previous years.
P1090197.JPG
P1090257.JPG
P1090274.JPG
P1090283.JPG
P1090285.JPG
P1090212.JPG

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Nick, my deepest condoleances. It is a blessing that we outlive our dogs - I could not bear to imagine leaving Minnie or any of my other dogs without their friend and master - but a terribly painful blessing.

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks Guy,
It is a horrible thing to go through, but good to be able to do what is best for the dog. Jimmy was a real gentleman. We have a three year old yellow Labrador, too, but she can hardly be described as a lady!

Return to “Personal Diaries”