Two birds for ID

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
David M

Two birds for ID

Post by David M »

In the hour I spent looking for butterflies today (and seeing only a single male Brimstone) I came across two birds that I'd like to request IDs for.

Is this a Reed Bunting?:
1.jpg
Not at all sure about this (it was standing in the water like a heron but has the legs of a duck):
2.jpg
dilettante

Re: Two birds for ID

Post by dilettante »

The first one's certainly a male reed bunting. I'm lucky enough to have lots of them visit my garden feeder.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David,

Your second picture appears to depict a female Goosander (Mergus merganser). In what sort of environment was it found?

Kind regards. Mark
David M

Post by David M »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi David,

Your second picture appears to depict a female Goosander (Mergus merganser). In what sort of environment was it found?
Cheers, Mark. It was standing on something in the river Tawe, Swansea, about 5 metres from the bank. This is a pretty sizeable river and there's much in the way of trees and vegetation along the banks.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi David, as mark says it's probably a female Goosander but they are easily confused with female Red Breasted Merganser's. Goosanders tend to prefer freshwater whereas Mergansers are normally coastal but thats obviously not a foolproof way to ID the two. Try googleling them to get tips on seperating the two. From your picture I would be 90% Goosander due to there being what looks like a sharp border between the brown head and pale neck but it's at a funny angle to confirm.

Very nice picture of the Reed Bunting btw :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Certainly got lucky with the Reed Bunting, bugboy. Someone has obviously scattered seed on the bridges round this area and the result is that birds will come and feed away from their usual perches meaning that photographing them is a good deal easier.

Yes, now that Mark has suggested female Goosander I'm pretty certain that this is the bird I saw. That part of the river Tawe is completely freshwater and a good 3-4 miles from the sea.

Return to “Identification”