Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I might be able to get my hands on a Moth trap this year so I'll be able to try that out as well :D . I tried my local 'early site' today - no joy still a week or two more to wait :(

Fritillaries
DGF 3.JPG
21 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, 18-05 Bentley Wood

I saw my first Small Pearl a little over two weeks earlier in 2014 than 2013. However I’m not sure if this was because they had emerged earlier or because I visited the site earlier? At the time my sister was over from Oz and so much of my butterflying was of the ‘have a quick look over here’ variety whilst on family outings. I was also keeping a look out for Philzoid so he could make the trip over for them and hence I was keeping a very close eye on the Wiltshire sightings page. When there was the first sniff of one at Bentley Wood during the week I was there that weekend grabbing my chance when I could and also doing my required recon; there too was my first Small Pearl.

My second trip with Philzoid was the following weekend and by then they’d built in numbers but they still weren’t as common as last year so I felt they didn’t have as good a year this as last and I’m hoping that this is just a blip or even better, an error of my judgement.
SPF1.JPG
SPF2.JPG
22 Pearl-bordered Fritillary, 04-05 Bentley Wood

Like a lot of species in 2014 the Pearls were out earlier this year than in 2013 but only by about a week for myself personally as I visited once they had started emerging. When I made my annual visit to Bentley for them they were out in greater numbers than I recall but again this was because I was visiting slightly later in their flight time and so they were already actively seeking a mate and some were already egg-laying. This was great as I witnessed behaviours that I hadn’t seen before which added to my overall view of the butterfly but it also meant that those gorgeous closed wings shots just weren’t possible as the butterflies were flying, feeding or rummaging around on the ground amongst the grass. Despite feeling like their numbers were slightly down this year they seemed to last longer than in previous years – possibly because there a few cooler days so they didn’t burn out as quickly.
PBF 1.JPG
PBF 2.JPG
PBF 3.JPG
23 Dark Green Fritillary, 15-06 Martin Down

I picked up my first DGFs almost a month earlier this year compared to last but apart from that it felt like things were pretty much the same with no real change in their numbers. I managed to find them at Lulworth again which was pretty late and they were at Martin Down although I made far fewer visits there this year. What was nice was that I managed to find them The Devenish which was a ‘first’ sighting for me from that site although there were only one or two.
The main thing I noticed this year was the level of variation in the females. The males to me look pretty alike and all conform to the ‘big, powerful ginger beastie mould’ whereas the females show a range of variation from subtle to almost garish. Over the course of one visit I saw the more usual females with the spots on the rear margins looking white but there were plenty of females that were more dusky, diffused with colours from green through to purple as they caught the light. One individual in particular took on the greenish hue of a valesina along the wing margins closest to the body.
DGF 1.JPG
DGF 2.JPG
24 Silver-washed Fritillary, 21-06 Bentley Wood

When I came to think back over my encounters with the Silver-washed over 2014 I found it a tricky task. I hadn’t visited Bentley Wood nearly enough this year and also missed out on trips to various other woodlands during their flight times so my initial thoughts tended towards them not having a particularly good year. But then I realised that I was biasing myself as when I thought more and more about where and when I’d seen this species I came up with more and more highs.

They arrived a couple of weeks earlier than last year and I had a flurry of sightings during this period when there were one or two early males flying. At this stage I became quite frustrated with them as they just didn’t want to play ball almost constantly patrolling and when they did occasionally break to take nectar they never stopped long enough for me to train my lens on them. Eventually this period passed as their numbers increased and I entered into a joyous time where I experienced ONE Silver-washed related high after another. There was the stunning Valesina, my first few at The Devenish, a surprise male doing a fly-by whilst having a picnic at Studland, good numbers all on one Bramble on a later trip to Bentley and then the ‘piece de resistance’ a female egg-laying four/five feet up a tree. So the more I recollect the more I’m convinced that they actually had a good year – not the best ever but at least slightly up from last year.
SWF1.JPG
SWF 2.JPG
SWF 3.JPG
25 Marsh Fritillary, 15-05 Marshie Site

For me 2014 was a spectacular year for Marsh Fritillaries as I was able to make three visits to my Marshie site at various stages of their flight period. This meant that I witnessed the full gamut of ‘state of dress’ that the Marsh Fritillary can show from pristine through to greasy individuals on my final visit.
My first visit was only a couple of days after their emergence had first been observed and was about 10 days earlier than last year. I found myself in the golden glow of the early evening I standing on the side of the down surrounded by them. They were by far the most common butterfly and it seemed that at every footfall 6 or 7 would be disturbed to flap away a short distance. As there were so many butterflies the probability of some variants/aberrants was greatly increased and so I wasn’t surprised when I was able to find a couple on my first two visits.

On my second visit numbers had built still more to higher numbers than last year and there was a nice mix of fresh and tired along with representatives of both genders. By my final visit they were all past their best but there were still bucket loads of them. Adding to my feeling reckoning that 2014 was a good year for Marshies was the fact that I also relocated some at a site in Hampshire in similar numbers to last year.
MF 1.JPG
MF 2.JPG
MF 3.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! That last Marshie is a real beauty, Wurzel.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel,
It must be something about my shoes !. Don't forget I had one on my shoe at Cotley Hill as well.
For the benefit of my friends I do like to think that I have hygenic feet!! :lol: .
B

trevor

Post by trevor »

PS. If you think those shoes will bring down His Nibs I will gladly bring them along!!.
As for that Valesina :mrgreen:

All the best,
TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photos Wurzel, I was at Bently Wood from the 5th of July we went for a week and we saw loads of Silver Washed Frit's, I saw my first Valesina she was at the base of a tree in the bushes, I got one or two shots of her( not very good) because she never showed all of herself, I was pleased to see her and didn't care too much at the time, having seen your lovely shot I feel abit dissapointed now :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

a lovely selection of photos, especially the 3rd, 5th, 11th, and 13th photos, excellent.

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers David :D I was really chuffed with finding that one :D
Cheers Trevor :D I hope you have some Odour Eaters for when His Nibbs ins't flying :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D Sorry to have caused some disappointment :?
Cheers Nick for you kind comments :D

I was at Five Rivers at the weekend hopefully checking the banks but still no joy. Just as things start to look promising the weather changes and the rain and snow return. I even had my spring shave in preparation and when the wind bites at my face I deeply regret it! :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Wurzel,

Playing catch up with everyone PDs at the moment.
Great photographs of the Small Pearl Bordered at Bentley Wood (not that the other Frit images were any less exciting).
It's been a long time since my one and only encounter with a SPBF (which was in the Yorkshire Moors).

Hope you don't mind, but I have sent a PM to you with a couple of queries.

Kind Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Kevling :D No worries I'll try and reply to your PM tomorrow night.

Moths of Downshay Part 3

Well not really at Downshay, I should have named this post ‘Moths of Studland’ as that’s where they were found :wink: . After the morning spent paddling we repaired to the Discovery Centre up on the edge of the Heath for lunch. Whilst the girls played on the rope swing I went for a quick wander with my camera hoping to get a few shots. I wasn’t disappointed with Graylings abounding and a small Buddleia behind the building holding Red Admirals, a Small Tort, a Peacock and a Wall.

Also round here sheltering in the shade were a few Moths. There was a Buff Ermine which I’ve photographed before but the other four visible moths represented three new species for me. The first two were male and female Black Arches and they were the first as they were the most obvious – their black and white livery standing out from the reddish wood of the building. The next one that stood out was, I later identified using my Moth App, a True Lover’s Knot. It was a lovely middle sized moth with subtle and beautiful markings in creams and an ‘almost pink’. The final species was the most cryptic of all and I only saw it when I did a double take. At first I thought that I was seeing things as it looked just like a rough bit of snagged wood. Then I noticed that it was a slightly different shade and on closer examination it turned out to be a Coxcomb Prominent.
2a Black Arches 1.JPG
2a Black Arches.JPG
2a True Lover's Knot.JPG
2a Coxcomb Prominent 1.JPG
2a Coxcomb Prominent 2.JPG
After this brief moth foray I moved out of the shadows and the dark side and back into the sun where butterflies prevailed – but only for a few grab shots as the girls wanted to get home and wash the dried salt from their skin. Once back at the campsite we had to pay an early visit to the showers and once again the cup accompanied me. Most of the moths I’d already caught and released and those that had escaped the morning visit were up high now and so out of the way. All except for a Lesser Yellow Underwing that is. I get confused by which ‘Yellow Underwing’ I’ve already seen so this could have been a repeat ‘tick’ or a first timer, either way it was a cracking looking moth, moving its’ forewings teasingly to reveal the golden glow behind.
2 Lesser Yellow Underwing.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Enjoying your diary at the moment. Some fantastic pics practically making me drewl in anticipation for the new season to start! And the moths easily holding their own against the butterflies!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Bugboy :D My daughter saw a Red Admiral on Thursday, my sister in-law saw a Small Tort on 3rd Jan and I've still seen nowt :(

March 2015
Surely it can't be long now?...
03 Mar.tif
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel, still nothing for me either, mind you I have been a bit busy lately and haven't really been looking yet. Mid March is when things usually get going around here in a normal year so that is when I will probably aim to start getting out, weather permitting.

Great photos and reports in your last few posts, I particularly like the SPBF basking in the sun :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D Mid March isn't that far away now :D

Browns

Overall this is one of the hardest groups to consider as their relative abundance often belies a slight fall or rise in numbers so the summations and reflections here are probably the most ‘gut produced’ of all of my estimations.
G 1.JPG
26 Speckled Wood, 16-04-2014 Aberystwyth

I seem to see my first Specklie in a different place each year and this time round it was in Wales about a fortnight earlier than my first last year. When contemplating the numbers I began by thinking that perhaps I had seen fewer of them over the course of the year as I don’t recall seeing them in masses at the various sites where they were present. I then remembered that in 2013 we had a slow start to the season and the Specklies were thin on the ground to start with. Then they seemed to catch up and the broods all blurred into one giving them impression of higher numbers. In 2014 though we had a more normal start to the season and so I reckon they did the same number wise but the butterflies were spread out over more months, not compacted into a shorter flight season. They did last well to as I saw my last Specklies on a visit to the Devenish on Halloween and as the weather then was exceedingly warm and remained mild into November I daresay that they clung on well into that month to.
SpW1.JPG
SpW2.JPG
27 Wall, (05-05 Duke Site?) 15-05 Marshie Site

I saw my first ‘official’ Wall of 2014 at my Marshie site which was a couple of weeks earlier than last year. I say ‘official’ as I think I had a possible Wall a fortnight before that at my Duke site. A marmalade butterfly proceeded to bomb around the side of the hill while I was busy trying to sneak up on Dingy Skippers. It was only when I saw the flight of my first ‘official’ Wall that I started to consider the UFB as another Wall. It didn’t stop so I guess I’ll never really know whether two weeks or a month it didn’t really matter as overall Walls followed the similar pattern to most other butterflies with an earlier emergence.
My first sightings were heartening as they were inland sites rather than their usual coastal haunts and so hopefully they will be making a comeback in rural areas out of sight of the sea. Here they were in good numbers with both males and females showing on three out of four visits to these sites. Subsequent trips meant that I also encountered them at a further seven coastal haunts; five were on the Isle of Purbeck and the sixth and seventh much further afield in Ceredigion. The sixth sighting could have been considered ‘inland’ as it was in my Outlaws back garden but a walk round the corner of the building and there is the slightest sea view so perhaps not. All of these sightings only featured one individual but the fact that they were from different sites on different days led me to believe that the species had a good year. In fact for me 2014 could have been considered ‘the year of the Wall’ as I have never seen so many of them or from such a range of sites.

There were some great highlights for me with this species this year; witnessing them on Buddleia, as a garden butterfly, managing to get decent shots of both upper and under wings (including ‘Ed’) as well as capturing my first decent shots of females; long may their up turns in fortune continue!
WB1.JPG
WB2.JPG
WB3.JPG
28 Marbled White, 14-06 Five Rivers

Their emergence was about a fortnight earlier than last year which was the same for a lot of species. Number wise they seem to have held their own and at Five Rivers they seem to have increased slightly in particular. Also this year most places seemed to hold reasonable numbers unlike last year where there were lots in some places and very few in others. More evenly spread as it were. I wasn’t able to track down too many dew bedecked Marbs this year but I was happy to find a few piratical fellas as well as seeing them at a few new place when I was looking here and there for other species in particular, possibly the oddest place was half way up a cliff face at Lulworth Cove, perhaps some of the ancestral Grayling genes were showing through?
MaB 1.JPG
MaB 2.JPG
MaB 3.JPG
29 Grayling, 20-07-2014 Godshill

By the time the Graylings are out and about I’m generally ready for my holiday and as such I often get to see them almost as soon as I hear they’ve started emerging. Also by midsummer things seem to have gotten back into the correct rhythm and emergences have either lowed back down or caught up after a slow start. For these reasons I find their emergence time is often very similar to year on year and this year they were only nine days earlier which had more to do with me getting out and looking for them than anything else.

For me it was another good year for Graylings with sightings from three different sites. As well as this it was encouraging that at the main sites where I regularly see them their numbers seemed to be up. At Godshill in particular they were almost common.
G 2.JPG
G 3.JPG
30 Hedge Brown/Gatekeeper 30-06 The Devenish

The old Hedge Brown had a good innings in 2014, arriving about a fortnight earlier than the previous year and showing well at pretty much all the sites that I visited. That being said they seemed to be ‘over’ more quickly than in previous years as usually they hang around and pretend to be Brostreaks to annoy you whereas this year when I was looking for Brostreaks they seemed to have finished. Whether this was merely a case of arriving sooner and therefore finishing earlier I’m not sure as they seemed to have passed more quickly than expected if this was the case. Possibly the decent weather we had over the tail end of the summer meant that they could just get down to business and so didn’t need to hang around.

The Lane at my in-laws didn’t disappoint this year with various numbers of spots on both upper and undersides, some very nice ‘excessa’ as well as the star of the Hedge Browns for the year the aberrant female with eyes all over the place. This year i seemed to fins more excessa than usual with them present at Larkhill, the Lane and also at The Devenish – in fact my first Hedge Brown of the year was actually an excessa. What could have accounted for this surge in spottiness I’m not sure but I loved counting every single one of them!
HB 1.JPG
HB 2.JPG
HB 3.JPG
31 Meadow Brown, 10-06 The Devenish

This is one of the hardest species to make an estimation of. With other species that are also difficult to guide the numbers f there are often mitigating factors such as their propensity to remain high in the canopy, they are found half way up a mountain in mobile colonies or they have very, very short flight time so blink and you could miss them. Yet for the Meadow Brown there is no excuse it’s actually laziness on my part as I get bored counting MB after MB and trying to figure out if I’ve already counted a certain individual. So bearing that in mind I’m not actually sure if there were as many about as last year, certainly in good numbers but down slightly surely? They also slightly bucked the trend shown by other species as they were only 9 days earlier this year and not the fortnight like the others.

Other things to note were; like their relatives the Hedge Browns they showed an increased amount of spottiness this year mainly in the guise of two pupils in the eye on their forewings and also there seemed to be more ’blondes’ this year, the paler more golden hued and less brown Browns.
MB 1.JPG
MB 2.JPG
MB 3.JPG
32 Small Heath, 09-05 Larkhill

My first Small Heath was almost three weeks earlier this year but again this year I felt quite concerned about their numbers. I recall a few years ago that I would be complaining about Small Heath as they were always getting in the way when I was getting ready to get a shot of another butterfly. I would carefully stalk the butterfly, slowly reaching in closer, focusing and then just as I was about to press the shutter up would fly a Small Heath and it would disappear along with the butterfly I was about to photograph. Yet this year I was struggling to find them at most of the sites that I visited, even at Martin Down which used to hold them in bucket loads they were scarce. This seems to be an ongoing trend as I recall saying a similar thing last year, and the year before that too.
SH 1.JPG
33 Ringlet, 14-06 Five Rivers

Last year I was lucky enough to get the first Ringlet for Wiltshire and even that was only a few days earlier than 2012. This year Ringlets were back to being early emergers with my latish first sighting 9 days earlier than in 2013. The milder year wetter start to the year seemed to favour them as not only were they earlier arriving they also seemed to abound on the paths of Larkhill and in the fields of Five Rivers and The Devenish. A bit like the Hedge Browns once here they didn’t hang about and again it seemed like they were over so soon.
R1.JPG
R2.JPG
R3.JPG
R4.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Wurzel,

Lovely Wall shots. Do you have a secret method of sneaking up on them, or do they just like you. :lol:

All the best,
TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Absolutely gorgeous photos Wurzel, I love them all, it won't belong now before we're off and running :D Incidentally I saw my first Grayling last year on the the 16th of June which seemed early at the time until I realised nearly all the Butterflies were early.

I don't surpose the Butterfly you saw() the orange Butterfly) you mentioned that flew near where the Dukes are could be a Pearl Bordered Fritillary ? at Gaits Barrow they fly at the same time has the Dukes and it's not impossible to catch the two near to one another , not got that shot yet but I keep trying :D All the best for the weekend they say the weather could be milder at the weekend, I hope so we've had snow showers again today( getting fed up with it now) Goldie :( :D

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi Wurzel
Have just caught up with your diary. Excellent well written observations on the numbers and some smashing photos as always (the one of the female Marbled White under the ox eye daisy is a real beauty) :D .

Your assessment of the Marbled White holding its own, borne out by good coverage in your diary, raised a gut feeling concern however, about my own sightings of this species :? . Having sifted through all my 2014 pictures I didn't find a single MW photo :shock: . I do remember seeing them when we were at Collard Hill on the 22nd of June and they were particular flighty. As we were focussed on looking for Large Blue, and were also distracted by a female Cloudie and a 'rare' Painted Lady, they didn't get a look in. Though still plenty of time the holiday abroad in July meant I was away for the peak in their flight period. Can't remember seeing any at the Map site either but that would've been at the back end of their season.

Along with Dark Green Fritillary, this was a species which slipped off the radar last year :oops: ...not to be repeated.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I mooch about pretending to take photos of another species and then I suddenly turn and click away at the Wall before it realises :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D I reckon it was a Wall now as the floght was similar, orit could have been a Painted Lady :?
Cheers Philzoid :D We'll try for plenty of DGFs this year :D

As the season seems to be getting under way I better get a wriggle on and finish up my winter savers :wink:

Moths of Downshay Part 4

When I returned from my sabbatical back in Dorset I had a lot of Butterfly and Moth photos to sort through which was a nice chore, if there is such a thing. However it also meant that I missed out one or two of my moth shots so they got a little out of sync.

The main one was a cracking female Drinker moth. It was the same morning as the Studland trip and I had spied her first but left her until last as she seemed like she wasn’t going anywhere plus I’d gotten some great shots of a female Drinker the year before. She was really gorgeous and was resting low down on the toilet block wall so eventually once I’d dealt with all the other captures I went back for her. A tiny little nudge with my finger and she bumbled her way in to the cup which I then gently carried up to the car.

Once back in my ‘mobile studio’ I carefully lifted the lid off and there she was tucked up at the bottom of the cup and she’d deposited a single egg. I didn’t know what the caterpillars fed on so I took a few shots and then released her as quickly as I could only it wasn’t as easy as that as she decided to cling to my daughters’ leg rather than flying free! In the end we offered her a low branch in a tree and she transferred herself ever so slowly from the leg to her tree.
445 - Copy.JPG
481 - Copy.JPG
476 - Copy.JPG
After the great day at the beach we returned and I’ve already covered the moths that I found that evening so it is to our final day. There were plenty of moths that morning but my favourite by far was a tiny little Pug. It’s markings reminded me of the under wing of a pale Buzzard a similarity accentuated by the shape of the wings and the manner in which they were held.
3 Lime Speck Pug.JPG
After our trip out I found one last moth down at the toilet block – to complete the set finally a male Drinker!
3 Drinker.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Some interesting moths there, Wurzel.

Ironic that the Drinker was found in a toilet block. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers David :D You don't want to know what they were drinking :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I've finally caught up on your diary, Wurzel. You always keep some fabulous photos up your sleeve for your end of year report.
The Valesina and the Marsh fritillary ab photos in particular, are simply stunning :D :mrgreen:

All the best,

Mike.

Return to “Personal Diaries”