Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: nfreem

Post by Paul Harfield »

nfreem wrote:With some of these photos in mind I made some attempts during the season to try and capture something similar and whilst not really succeeding to the same degree
Hi Neil

I think you have succeeded perfectly :D I particularly like your first Small Copper and your Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary.

Merry Christmas

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Than you all for the great comments, really appreciated :D

I find it interesting that different people pick out different photos as their favourites, just shows how all our tastes differ.

Cheers,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some Christmas day sightings in our living room including a nice looking Red Admiral...looking forward to spending a bit more time with these :wink: :D
Xmas 2014 009 resize.JPG
Xmas 2014 012 resize.JPG
Hope everyone is having a great Christmas,

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some really cold nights lately with frosty mornings and some snow showers during the past week or so has finally made it feel like Winter.

Going through my photos as usual for the species threads has reminded me of the wonderful places that I visited in 2014 and as I have done in previous years I have picked a few location shots to cheer myself up on a cold dark evening. Most of these have already been posted in my diary through the year but as they are favourite shots of favourite places I like putting a few together.

First off, Ryton Wood on a sunny day in April,
Bluebells in Ryton Wood - 24.04.2014. My first Green Hairstreak of the year seen here.
Bluebells in Ryton Wood - 24.04.2014. My first Green Hairstreak of the year seen here.
The Wyre Forest in early May for PBFs,
Wyre Forest - 05.05.2014
Wyre Forest - 05.05.2014
and then it was down to the IOW in late May for Glanville Fritillaries,
Wheelers Bay IOW - 27.05.2014
Wheelers Bay IOW - 27.05.2014
A couple of weeks later and I am heading North...
Warton Crag - 11.06.2014. Northern Brown Argus and SPBFs seen here.
Warton Crag - 11.06.2014. Northern Brown Argus and SPBFs seen here.
Arnside Knott -  11.06.2014.
Arnside Knott - 11.06.2014.
Irton Fell - 12.06.2014. Lots of Mountain Ringlets when it warmed up abit.
Irton Fell - 12.06.2014. Lots of Mountain Ringlets when it warmed up abit.
Back down South again for a family holiday near Weymouth,
South West Coast path looking towards Osmington Mills and Ringstead Bay 01.07.2014
South West Coast path looking towards Osmington Mills and Ringstead Bay 01.07.2014
Looking toward White Horse Hill, Osmington - 01.07.2014
Looking toward White Horse Hill, Osmington - 01.07.2014
Chesil Beach from Tout Quarry Portland - 30.06.2014
Chesil Beach from Tout Quarry Portland - 30.06.2014
Despite visiting Aston Rowant for a few years now, I had never been to the southern part of the reserve until last year,
Looking across the M40 to Beacon Hill from Bald Hill at Aston Rowant - 29.07.2014
Looking across the M40 to Beacon Hill from Bald Hill at Aston Rowant - 29.07.2014
Then it was back to Dorset again at the end of August for another week, this time stopping at Durdle Door,
Durdle Door in the evening sun - 31.08.2014
Durdle Door in the evening sun - 31.08.2014
Lulworth Cove - 31.08.2014. I took a very similar shot with a boat heading out of the cove last year.
Lulworth Cove - 31.08.2014. I took a very similar shot with a boat heading out of the cove last year.
Looking down on West Lulworth from Bindon Hill - 04.09.2014
Looking down on West Lulworth from Bindon Hill - 04.09.2014
Lulworth Cove and Bindon Hill from Hambury Tout - 04.09.2014
Lulworth Cove and Bindon Hill from Hambury Tout - 04.09.2014
Path up to White Horse Hill, Osmington 03.09.2014. Adonis blues and Clouded Yellows favoured these depressions.
Path up to White Horse Hill, Osmington 03.09.2014. Adonis blues and Clouded Yellows favoured these depressions.
Looking back through that lot has got me keen to start making plans for 2015, time to get the calendar out and start looking up flight times and looking to what time I can book off work :D

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm not surprised those images make you feel invigorated, Neil. What a lovely collection to remind us all of how wonderful the British countryside can be.

Roll on May!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely photos, Neil, including some of my favourite spots. That bit of the Dorset coast, given the sort of weather you had, rivals anywhere in the world in my book.

I must also visit the southern side of Aston Rowant, having never been there either. It looks a bit quieter! :)

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
Your view of Wheelers Bay on the Isle of Wight, shows the exact same spot where we found the Glanville Fritillary
(page 4 of my diary). A Botanist could also have a fulfilling day there,such is the variety of coastal flora.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated :D

Hi David and Dave, I definitely agree that the British countryside can be wonderful and in the right weather can rival anywhere in the world. Up until a few years ago I would regularly take family holidays abroad in the usual places, the Balearics, Greek Islands, France etc. but I find these days I enjoy holidays on home turf even more, especially as I usually combine them with my butterflying :D

The south side of Aston Rowant is certainly a bit quieter than the north side being that bit further away from the M40. It was my first time to that side this year and if anything there were more Silver-spotted Skippers there.

Cheers Trevor, just checked out your diary, great reports and photos. It looks like I was on the IOW just a few days before yourself, I stayed in Ventnor for 3 days and as well as Wheelers Bay spent time on Bonchurch Down and Compton Bay. Reports and more photos on page 49 of my diary

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=960

Cheers,

Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some stunning shots Neil especially the jaw dropping one of Durdle Door - my favourite place in the world :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI again Neil,

Just checked out your report RE, Glanvilles ,Wheelers Bay 2013.
You enjoyed slightly better conditions than us,an underside shot was denied owing to the very bright,hot sun.
We later went on to Compton Bay,another Glanville hotspot and saw nothing,not even by the famous steps
(down to the beach). i think a return visit is called for! :D
Many thanks for pointing out your lovely images.

All the best ,
TREVOR.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and Trevor for your comments :D

Sunday 8th February 2015

As with most of the country, it has been cold here of late with overnight temperatures well below Freezing and some frosty mornings followed by colds days which have reached the dizzy heights of 2 or 3 degrees for most of last week. We have also had a fair few snow showers, some heavy but none has stayed settled for long.

I haven't seen any butterflies yet, but then again I am not expecting to until maybe mid-march around here. All the usual birds have been visiting the garden including Blackbirds, Robins, Dunnocks, Bullfinches, and Great, Blue, Coal and Long-tailed Tits plus a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers and an occasional Goldcrest.
Bullfinch tucking into sunflower hearts
Bullfinch tucking into sunflower hearts
Good old House Sparrows seem to be bouncing back a bit with me seeing them in increasing numbers over the past couple of years, although still nowhere near the numbers that I used to see 'Spugs' when I was a nipper.
House Sparrows
House Sparrows
The photos above were taken through the window whilst I sat in the comfort of my back room, as was the shot below taken at maximum zoom of a visitor watching the house from the bottom of the garden,
Keeping an eye on the house.
Keeping an eye on the house.
As soon as it warms up a bit more I will have to start having a bit of a tidy up in the garden in preparation for this seasons butterflies, not too much mind, just clear away dead stems and such to allow the new growth to come through where I want it.

Bye for now,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

Aah, a Bullfinch! Beautiful birds.

I'm lucky that Swansea seems to provide an ideal home for them as they're relatively commonplace here, but I never get tired of seeing them.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Fox Neil, Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely image of the Bullfinch Neil :D :mrgreen: I watched on through the window at work the other day and it brightened up the usual morning briefing :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Lovely image of the Bullfinch Neil :D :mrgreen: I watched on through the window at work the other day and it brightened up the usual morning briefing :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Agreed, I used to see them a lot as a kid but I'm lucky if I catch a glimpse of one a year these days :(

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks all for the comments :D

I agree that Bullfinches are a lovely bird and I am fortunate to have a pair that regularly visits the garden, sometimes together or sometimes the male on his own although the female does turn up on her own occasionally.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday 1st March

No butterflies for me yet but not surprising really as I have been busy lately with work and stuff around the house so I have not been out looking. After a nice morning yesterday it went all dull and grey with some blustery wind and showers and today we had some very heavy rain this afternoon.
Before the rain came in I had a couple of coffee breaks and watched the birds coming and going in the garden from the comfort of the back room and as usual took a few shots through the window.

The Bullfinch pair are still hanging around,
Bullfinches - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Bullfinches - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Male Bullfinch - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Male Bullfinch - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Female Bullfinch & Great Tit - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Female Bullfinch & Great Tit - Coverdale 01.03.2015
I usually get four species of Tit visiting the feeders with me seeing Great, Blue and Coal Tits every day after work now that it stays light longer, with Long-tailed Tits two or three times a week,
Great Tit - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Great Tit - Coverdale 01.03.2015
This morning a Great Spotted Woodpecker also showed up for the first time in a number of weeks,
Great Spotted Woodpecker - Coverdale 01.03.2015
Great Spotted Woodpecker - Coverdale 01.03.2015
I usually start to see butterflies around here from mid March in a normal year so hopefully it won't be long now before things get going.

Bye for now,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Who needs butterflies when you've got birds like those, Neil?

Not long to wait though. Spring is truly set to arrive from Thursday onwards.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Neil, lovely photos, especially the male Great Spotted Woodpecker. When i saw that photo, i thought, why did i stop birdwatching? and i couldn't remember. :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great Bullfinches Neil, I've seen a few more since you posted your first set of photos :D I hope David is right and Spring does arrive on Thursday as this has been a long old winter :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”