February 2015

Discussion forum for sightings.
Penhale Paul

Re: February 2015

Post by Penhale Paul »

A couple of sightings to start my butterfly year off. On Monday 9th Feb a trip to Soussons Plantation up on Dartmoor to do some birding produced 6 Peacocks and 3 Red Admirals :shock: Quite surprising really as i hadn't managed a sighting in 2015 and if i was purposely looking i doubt i would have chose that area being quite high up Dartmoor and snow still on the ground in the shaded areas :? :?
But as it was the rides/tracks that were south facing were completely sheltered from what little breeze there was and bathed in unbroken sunshine throughout the day and temperatures were well into double figures :D

Yesterday (Tue 17th Feb) at the same site with conditions still pleasant but a little cooler a further 6 Red Admirals were seen :)

David M

Post by David M »

Six Peacocks so early in February is extraordinary, Paul.
Penhale Paul

Post by Penhale Paul »

Yes indeed, i was pleased to see my first Red Ad but even more so to see the Peacocks. I think that area (the same on both days) produced due to its sheltered nature and the temperature being higher there than elsewhere. I recorded 14c outside the plantation and i'm pretty sure it was a warmer within the rides.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A Small Tortoiseshell in the garden today. It basked, nectared on snowdrops for quite a while, and then flew off at speed over the garden wall.
Dsc03127.jpg
Dsc03129.jpg
CJB

Post by CJB »

Happy 2015 One and All.

First Report of a Brimstone seen on the wing today near Salisbury.

Over to you Wurzel!

Flutter on!

CJB
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Saw my first butterfly of the year today a Peacock it flew past me as I was walking the dog. We were at Otterspool promenade Liverpool.
David M

Post by David M »

An amazing 14c in Swansea this afternoon but sadly I was unable to get out looking for butterflies.

I sure some will have been about though given the conditions and I daresay this warm blast will have awakened a few for spring.
Scott Barron

Post by Scott Barron »

Peacock today 27th February at midday in a garden at Longrock near Penzance, temp about 8 degrees :D
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

A visit to my local Red Admiral hot-spot in Crawley at lunch time today produced two individuals. They were first spotted at 13.15 engaged in an aerial battle. The victor stayed on station until 14.15 when the cloud cover increased. He was challenged briefly again at 14.00.
Red Admiral - Crawley, Sussex 27-Feb-2015
Red Admiral - Crawley, Sussex 27-Feb-2015
The characteristic wing damage reveals this individual to be the same one seen (but not photographed) in this location on 17th February. It is not clear whether this is one that has over-wintered in the UK or is a migrant which has established a territory here. In any event it seems to me that this sheltered little hilltop site is a congregation area for this species.

The air temperature was 10C with a light westerly wind.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

I too had a brief visit from a Red Admiral this afternoon. It spent a few seconds investigating the metal stanchions of the smoking shelter in our works car park before ascending a nearby tree and depositing itself on a leaf to bask in the 10c sunshine.
Bob F

Post by Bob F »

Thank you Vince for your help.
I am a novice.
I saw a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly with a damaged wing at the end of February in our back garden in Gloucestershire.
This is the earliest in the year that I have seen a butterfly here.
Is this common please?
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell Feb 28th 2015.jpg
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Bob,

Small Tortoiseshells hibernate during our winter months. and it is possible to see this butterfly on any given day of the year, as long as it is warm enough for it to be flying, and is quite a common sight.

All the best, Nick.
David M

Post by David M »

I think once February has arrived, if you get a day where air temperatures are at least 7c, sunshine is almost constant and there are light winds blowing, you can go to virtually any sheltered spot in the southern third of the UK and have a decent chance of seeing a Small Tortoiseshell. Even better if there are nectar sources on tap.

I believe they'll all be stirring right now with March having arrived. I expect to see my first specimens within the next 7 days.

Return to “Sightings”