White Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

White Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: White Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by downland boy »

My favourite photos of the White Admiral are a series of caterpillar shots. The first two show third instar larvae in typical resting posture; the 3rd shows a fourth instar larva in defence posture and the 4th shows a final instar larva feeding.
Attachments
(1) White Admiral (3rd instar larva & feeding signs on honeysuckle) 19.4.14 New Rayle Wood, Bedgebury, Kent. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
(2) White Admiral (3rd instar larva resting on honeysuckle) 23.4.14 New Rayle Wood, Bedgebury, Kent.  Downland boy (Custom).JPG
(3) White Admiral (4th instar larva on honeysuckle) 15.5.14 New Rayle Wood, Bedgebury, Kent.  Downland boy (Custom).JPG
(4) White Admiral (final instar larva on honeysuckle) 16.5.14 Rowland Wood, East Sussex. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Not my favourite, but close. White Admiral larva, 4th instar.
IMG_0444.JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

2014 was the year I discovered white admiral caterpillars but as Downland Boy and Nick have posted such super pictures of these I'll post my favourite adult picture, which has to be this:

The phenomenon I witnessed on 13th June 2014 was shortlived and I think exceptional. A friend visited the same site the previous week and another the following week and neither reported similar numbers of camilla - nor have I ever seen anything like it before. On that day I saw tens of thousands of white admirals in a single walk.

(spot the woodland brown caught up in the scrum)

This is a video from that day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKq0GNbpdwc[/video]

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well I think that little set trumps everyones effort! Breath taking!! :shock:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks Guy. But, what can i say about your contribution? Absolutely Brilliant. Something i will never see in this country.

All the best, Nick.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Absolutely no intention to upstage anyone! I was humbled to witness this and I'm sure a better photographer could have made much more of it.

Roll on more white admiral pictures!

(But thanks)

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

What can I say Guy........some great photos of what must have been a stupendous sight to come across....and I must say that I always enjoy keeping up with your diary page.

All the best, Downland boy
David M

Post by David M »

Whilst I doubt anyone in the entire world can compete with Guy's efforts regarding sheer numbers, I nonetheless did more justice to this species in 2014 than I had done previously.

A trip to Lower Woods, near Wickwar in Gloucestershire, on 22nd June saw me find a fair number of White Admirals at the beginning of their flight period, meaning that they were generally in excellent condition:
DWA(1).jpg
1WAupps(1).jpg
1WAuns(1).jpg
1WAtree(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Gorgeous pictures David, still a species I have yet to see in the flesh.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I echo the comments regarding Guy's photos above - impressive indeed.

This was a new species I discovered last year. White Admirals do not occur in my part of the South of France (I only see Southern Whites 8) ), and I discovered this one on a shady river bank on holiday in the Massif Central in France.
camilla1_15 Gorges de la Jourdanne Cantal 16 July 2014 (29).JPG
camilla1_15 Gorges de la Jourdanne Cantal 16 July 2014 (12).JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic photo's everybody, I alas saw none last year, but hey! that was last year :D

Guy, that was once in a life time experience wasn't it! I know that feeling as well, when I saw the SPBF that was white, once I found out it was rare I've lived on it since :D Loved the Video, isn't Minnie good, not many dogs would be so obedient Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

I only managed to see a few this year, being too early on visits to their haunts at Black Park in Bucks and at Alice Holt. The ones I did see were from 25th June on a visit to Botany Bay. I tracked down a few to a brambly clearing off the main rides where they would appear regularly with about a two minute delay every time the sun came out.
WA4 250614.JPG
WA1 250614.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

White Admiral

This was my favourite White Admiral because I captured a close up view from an odd angle so it felt like I was peering around the wings. I only found two White Admirals which were prepared to sit still long enough for some shots and this was the first one. I’d actually have preferred the classic closed wing shot showing the gorgeous reddy orange with the striking white band but that has eluded me for another year – maybe next?
White Admiral.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That image shows up the orange antennal tips to good effect, Wurzel.

I also like the powder blue buff to the thorax that one sees in this species when it's fresh.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Another species that I nearly missed in 2014, the only ones that I saw were at Snitterfield Bushes near Stratford-Upon-Avon where I saw half or dozen examples on my one and only visit there last year. Every one that I saw showed evidence of having spent some time amongst the brambles and looked well worn and tatty, the example below being typical.
White Admiral - Snitterfield 13.07.2014
White Admiral - Snitterfield 13.07.2014
Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “White Admiral”