Box Brownie

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Jack Harrison

Box Brownie

Post by Jack Harrison »

This article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30744464

doesn't seem to have generated any interest. So deleting
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Harrison

Re: Box Brownie

Post by Jack Harrison »

Deleted.
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Deleted
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Do you have a lot of time on your hands?? :mrgreen:

Tony M.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

My world is in greyscale anyway at the moment, Jack, with just a hint of sepia on Minnie's ears ..

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickB

Post by NickB »

Missed the original post, Jack.
If you want to replace yours, I guess I could lend you mine....... :mrgreen:
Brownie_1_.JPG
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That Box Brownie of yours would probably be worth as much as our house in Ireland. Want to do a swap? (Not serious).

Jack
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Interesting. I've just read the article linked to your first posting Jack and got totally engrossed in the nostalgia, and read the article right through to the end during working hours - my boss would have a fit if he knew :lol:
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Now there is a degree of interest, here is my contribution.
Jack
David M

Post by David M »

cjackson wrote:Interesting. I've just read the article linked to your first posting Jack and got totally engrossed in the nostalgia, and read the article right through to the end during working hours - my boss would have a fit if he knew :lol:
Chris
No wonder France is on its knees!! :)

Mind you, I haven't exactly increased GB's GDP today but that's another story..........
NickB

Post by NickB »

For those who didn't use film cameras, just imagine how many rolls of film you would use on a shoot if you banged-away as you can with digital equipment!
For that reason, you used to be very careful with each shot; not that, most of the time, you ended-up with in-focus and sharp pictures......most of the time it was a sense of disappointment at the time (and expense) expended to get some s**t shots back.... :(
NickB

Post by NickB »

....or I could lend you this, if you wanted an upgrade, Jack!
An Eastman Kodak
Eastman_Kodak_1.jpg
NickB

Post by NickB »

NickB wrote:For those who didn't use film cameras, just imagine how many rolls of film you would use on a shoot if you banged-away as you can with digital equipment!
For that reason, you used to be very careful with each shot; not that, most of the time, you ended-up with in-focus and sharp pictures......most of the time it was a sense of disappointment at the time (and expense) expended to get some s**t shots back.... :(
Only me, then? :oops:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

NickB wrote:
NickB wrote:For those who didn't use film cameras, just imagine how many rolls of film you would use on a shoot if you banged-away as you can with digital equipment!
Only me, then? :oops:
No, I feel your pain too Nick.....
DSC03158.JPG
The boxes are my Costa Rica pics, probably took 3 times that many but thats all the ones I kept and the folder is where I keep all by butterfly slides. Out of every roll of 36 I would on average throw away 50%, such a waste!

And that is just the tip of my slide iceberg!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

....or I could lend you this, if you wanted an upgrade, Jack!
An Eastman Kodak
Eastman_Kodak_1.jpg
I had one of those (or very similar). I fixed a simple close up lens and an L-shape wire to show the correct distance and frame to photograph butterflies.

We were on holiday in Somerset (I would have been 13 years old at the time) and I had just encountered my first ever Green Hairstreak. For some reason I put the camera on the ground and subsequently stepped back on to it. I was in tears but Dad took pity and I got a brand new Zeiss Nettar as replacement.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

If you want to re-create the Box Brownie 'look' from your digital files, there's a good BW 'plug-in' for Photoshop Elements from http://www.photo-plugins.com/
BWfilter.jpg
There are sliders to set the colour response (even choose really old 'colour blind', blue-sensitive film if you like), to emulate the effect of colour filters, to 'tone' the print, and to add as much grain as you like!

Mike

Return to “Photography”