Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

I too have seen the forecast. Potentially a fortnight of cold conditions.

Bring it on!

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I thought the forecast for snow maybe wrong, not so, this morning we had Blizzard conditions, snow's have stopped now but more forecast for tonight, let's hope the Butterflies will fair well this Spring.

Before the snow arrived we managed a walk at Rivington, this would be Monday the weather wasn't too bad, my attention was taken by a small bird, it landed on this tree, I say landed because it flew very low across the ground and didn't fly onto a branch but onto the side of the tree where it climbed up the side stopping every now and again to peck, the bird was very tiny and very quick, too quick for me to take any shots of it (worse luck)

I know some birds eat the algae on trees but I'd never seen one like this before, any Idea's? Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I've seen the reports of snow in the north of England, Goldie. It must have been bad for Manchester Airport to shut down for 4 hours!

As for your bird, could it be a Nuthatch? They are famous for creeping up and down tree trunks and are pretty small in size.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Only some sleaty rain today in London, cold wind though.

The bird could be a Nuthatch like David says but my money would be on a Treecreeper, looking for hibernating invertebrates in the bark crevices.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Treecreepers fly to the bottom of trees and work their way up - they cannot go down a tree. Nuthatches can go up or down, so don't so often fly to the bottom of a tree and work their way up (though they can do that if they want to).

From your description, Goldie, I'd suggest treecreeper.

Guy

EDIT - sorry - I didn't notice Bugboy had already suggested treecreeper. Great minds &c.!

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for the info, David, Bug boy and Guy, The way you've described the bird Guy and Bug boy is exactly what it was doing flying to the base of the tree and climbing up the tree, I don't think it was a Nut Thatch David , I've seen one of those at Penn Flash, but I'll go to Rivington again has soon as the weather gets better and try to take a photo of it.

The weather was bad here but it's quickly thawing in the sun although they've forecast more for us for the weekend. I took a couple of photo's when I got up this morning of the front and back Garden, a lot of snow has melted since then, but for people getting their cars out first thing it's been awful, they never grit the side roads here at all, any way it's February on Sun we're not far off Spring now :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8544.JPG
IMG_8545.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely winter scenes Goldie, just think of all the good it's doing the butterflies :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Believe it are not Wurzel, the snow's all gone now, it melted a way as quickly has it came, the Suns shining and although the wind's keeping it cold I'm wrapping up and ready for off :D Goldie :D

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

You sent the snow down here, Goldie :) I was very surprised, when I opened the curtains this morning, to see the whiteness outside. It was enough to bring Reed Buntings to our garden feeders but it soon melted, through the morning.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike, our snow did the same this time, it was gone by mid afternoon, I'm pleased to say though that it was still light at 5pm tea time so things are moving in the right direction :D I thought the snow and frost would kill my Snow Drops but their has bright as ever and the daffodil bulbs are well on their way so Nature is pointing fingers in the right direction :D Goldie :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely weather yesterday, cold but the Sun was great to see :D The day set off to a good start with the sight of our garden Robin sitting at the top of our Cherry Tree We decided to go for a ride to Lytham, in the park there we saw a thrush following these Squirrels and enjoying bits of food they were dropping :D

We drove up the coast road after that through Blackpool to Fleetwood, where I took some photo's of the Lake District hills snow topped they looked superb in the distance, also Morecambe Bay looked vast, it was great to think in the next few weeks I'd be up there in the Lakes looking for the Dukes :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Lake District Snow covered Hills  Taken from Fleetwood 3rd Feb 2015 GM DSCN2715.JPG
View of Lake District hills from Fleet Wood 3rd Feb 2015 GM DSCN2710.JPG
Thrush and Squirel  3rd Feb Lytham GM RSCN2717.JPG
Robin Back Garden 3rd Feb 2015 GM RSCN2701.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I for got to mention in my last posting that I'd taken a photo of a Great Tit but I wasn't sure what the bird at the same eating place was (this was while I was at Fleetwood) I've looked some birds up but it doesn't seem to be in my book, the photo's not too great, I didn't realise the bird was there, it was in the shadows and I was fixed on the GT, I just don't recognise it Goldie :D
Attachments
Great Tit Fleet Wood 3rd Feb 2015 GM RSCN2720.JPG

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It looks to me like a cheeky house sparrow, Goldie.

By the way, I love that first shot with the Lake District hills in the distance - magical.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Guy,I didn't recognise it at all, glad you like the landscape, the Lake District is beautiful, more so with the snow on the hills, I can't wait for Spring, Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Goldie,

The new season is not that far away now, if its mild and sunny at the end of this month,who knows
the odd Brimstone, Peacock or Red Admiral may appear !. Then it's kick off!! :D

all the best ,
TREVOR.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Golide especially the Song Thrush - they're great birds - one of these years I'm determined to find one workign at it's anvil :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was thinking back to last year and what was my most interesting observation, I remembered the Orange Tips and how they touched each other in Flight, which was great and the Brimstones three flying together (two Males one Female) the Males so engrossed in vying for the Females attention they didn't notice her fly off and leave them to it :D

There was also a Green Veined White Female who bent her body in an invitation to mate while again two Males vied for her, this time unlike the Brimstone one of them won the day :D

I think though my most interesting moment was the Speckled Wood playing dead, no matter how much the Male prodded her she wouldn't mate and when she suddenly lay on her side she even convinced me she was dead :lol: To be able to catch this on my camera had to be the best for last year for me Goldie :D
Attachments
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6201.JPG
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6198.JPG
Speckled Wood trying to mate GB 16th June 2014 IMG_6194.JPG
Green Veined Whites HLB 20th August 2014 IMG_7614.JPG
Brimstones Mating GB 16th may 2014 IMG_5539.JPG
Brimstones Mating GB 16th may 2014 IMG_5538.JPG
OT's Mating HLB 3rd may 2014 IMG_5341.jpeg
OT'S Mating HLB 3rd May 2014 IMG_5302.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some fab courtship pictures there Goldies :), very interesting Speckled Wood behaviour.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Some cracking action shots there, Goldie. I particularly like the last of the Brimstone images.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David and Bugboy, It's great looking back on the best parts of your year, well the most memorable bits any way :D Roll on Spring then we can all start again Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”