Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by bugboy »

Like Pete said in another thread, there are pictures in this forum that far exceed many in published work and I see quite a few in this thread! :)

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Jamie, Wurzel and Bugboy,

thank you for your really kind comments. Appreciated.

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Freshly laid Orange-tip ovum.
Freshly laid Orange-tip ovum 026-8.jpg
Orange-tip ovum after four days. And notice the excessive amount of glue used to attach this ovum to the stem.
Orange-tip, ovum 057-5_1.jpg
Same ovum after one week, just about to hatch.
Orange-tip 045-6_1.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Orange-tip larva emerging from ovum.
Orange-tip larva hatching 085-20.jpg
Orange-tip larva hatching 214-2.jpg
Orange-tip larva hatching 236-1.jpg
To be continued...

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A nice series of Orange-tip ovum photos, Nick. This is the quality of photos and subject coverage I would like to strive towards. Great :D .
Chris

kevling

Post by kevling »

Nick,

Wonderful shots of the Orange Tip ovums. It is my favourite butterfly and I was lucky to see and photograph my first ovums in 2014. Will have to go some to out-trump those shots though. keep em coming!

Regards Kev

David M

Post by David M »

The way you're going, Nick, I foresee an MBE in 2016!! :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Well, you have managed to make me blush this time. :oops: Thank you Chris, Kev and David for your very kind comments. Very much appreciated.

Chris and Kev, i hope you achieve all your goals in your photography in the up coming months. As i'm sure you both will.

All the best, Nick.

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

That's an excellent series of images, Nick :D and some of the best I have seen on this site.
I'm looking forward to what's coming next.

Vince

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Vince,

thank you for your thoughtful comments, both on my P.D and, the P.M. Appreciated. I won't keep you waiting any longer for the next batch of photos.

All the best, Nick.

Orange-tip 1st instar larva, just emerged from it's ovum.
Orange-tip larva hatching 247.jpg
Out at last....
Orange-tip larva hatching 256-10.jpg
A quick look around....
Orange-tip larva hatching 283-1.jpg
Then back to it's empty egg shell....
Orange-tip larva hatching 289-1.jpg
Where it takes it's first meal, by eating the shell....
Orange-tip larva hatching 338-1.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Bloody brilliant photos! :D

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

If you don't get an official MBE then I already confer my own upon you:

Nick Broomer: Majestic Butterfly Enthusiast.

Thanks for sharing but I'm not sure I can cope with many more!! :D

kevling

Post by kevling »

That's it! I can't take anymore. Who wants to buy my camera?
Absolutely fantastic Nick. If youv'e got any turning into a pupa, then a knighthood will be more appropriate.

Regards Kev

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Excellent pictures, Nick !!!
Chris

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just wanted to add my voice to the general admiration! :D Brilliant photos - and observational skills, to be in the right place at the right time to get them.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Nick your a true Wizard :D Goldie :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I don't know what to say . :oops: You honour me with your very generous and kind comments. Thank you everyone, i am very flattered, and appreciate your kindness.

David, i was going to post the five instar larva stages of the Orange-tip, but i will adjust my next post. Do not want to push my luck. :wink:

Kev, i do have a couple of photos depicting the pupa forming, :wink: but it is one stage i always seem to miss out on capturing the whole sequence.

Guy, i was very fortunate to have quite a few ovum layed on plants i had in the garden, or within a couple of minutes walk of my house; so made it a lot easier to keep an eye on them.

Thank you all again.

All the best, Nick,

David M

Post by David M »

Nick Broomer wrote:
David, i was going to post the five instar larva stages of the Orange-tip, but i will adjust my next post. Do not want to push my luck.
You go ahead, Nick. I'll refrain from posting as I've already exhausted superlatives. :)

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

21.6.13  orange-tip pupa 017-2.jpg
Orange-tip in the middle of pupating.
IMG_2857-1 Orange-tip pupa.jpg
The finished item, found in the garden on some Blackthorn.
IMG_3019-1 Orange-tip pupa, parasited.jpg
This one is such a lovely colour, but has been attacked by a parasite.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Orange-tip larva, 1st instar.
Orange-tip 052-5_2.jpg
Orange-tip larva, 1st instar.
Orange-tip larva 1st instar 004-1.jpg
Orange-tip larva, 2nd instar.
IMG_2342-1 Orange-tip larva, fresh 2nd instar.jpg
Orange-tip larva, 3rd instar.
Orange-tip larva 3rd instar 038_1.jpg
Orange-tip larva, 4th instar.
2.6.2013  Orange-tip larva 003.jpg
Orange-tip larva, 5th instar.
20.6.13  orange-tip larva 023-1.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”