Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,

The artist Terence Cuneo always hid a mouse in his paintings, so where are the Butterflies in your lovely images?.

Well done!
TREVOR.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm not surprised your images have gained accolades, Neil. Your very being is especially close to nature and it shows in the pictures you take.

Well done (and well deserved).

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks all - much appreciated. And not a butterfly in sight!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

For Sale

As many of you know, I (and plenty of other UKBers) use the Panasonic Lumix FZ bridge cameras - I still use the FZ38. Even the older models are still well worth picking up if you can find them. However, the accessories are becoming increasingly difficult to purchase. My nephew has long since moved on to a DSLR, as he does a lot of aircraft photography, so is selling the following items:

DMW-LA3 lens Adapter - fits FZ18, 28, 38 cameras
DMW-LC55 close up lens - fits FZ8, 18, 28, 38, 50, 150 cameras

New, this combination originally cost £67 - £70 from most stockists. I'm selling these, in perfect working order (just the white lettering on the adapter is wearing off) on his behalf for £30 plus p&p. Please PM me if you are interested.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Owl Service

The Short-eared Owls which have been overwintering at The Burgh (Norfolk Estate near Burpham) seldom disappoint, and I have spent quite a few sunny afternoons watching them hunt. Some days are a little quieter, but generally I see between 4 and 10 individual owls, along with variable numbers of Red Kite, Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Merlin, Kestrel and Raven. Grey Partridge are now common up here, and I watched one rather optimistic owl try to grab one.

Last Friday (16th January) I went back to The Burgh with my brother, Mark, who was visiting from Antwerp. At least half-a-dozen owls performed well for us, beautifully illuminated by the low winter sun. Below are a couple of Mark's images.
UKB Short-eared Owl, The Burgh 16.1.15 (c) Mark Hulme.jpg
UKB Short-eared Owl (2), The Burgh 16.1.15 (c) Mark Hulme.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the photo's Neil, your so lucky to have these birds so near to you Goldie :mrgreen: :D

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I think Mark has contributed to this as illustrator.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducks-Geese-Swa ... 0198546459

I don't suppose he'll see much from the £200 asking price. It must be a very good book at that price.

Excellent photos of SE Owls. I have never managed a decent shot.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Goldie. Yes, I'm very lucky to have these birds within a 20 minute drive from home. I suspect this area currently holds the highest density of SEOs in the UK. On one occasion a hedge-hopping Red Kite 'pulled up' 6 owls from the corner of a field measuring no more than 100m x 100m - they really don't like each other!

Hi Jack. Yes, he is the sole illustrator. I have several of the original plates on my wall. Sadly, the book is over-priced .... significantly so.

BWs, Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

Neil Hulme wrote:Baiting The Emperor

Following a disgraceful lapse in security a YouTube video has been posted on the Purple Emperor website http://apaturairis.blogspot.co.uk/, letting every Tom, Dick and Harry in on a secret which has been guarded more closely than Colonel Sanders own recipe.
HI Neil,

I've been studying your diary, and found the above on P.91,aways one to experiment I tried your recipe and
that of Col.Sanders and I have to say that Col.Sanders is very slightly more palatable.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

The family and I would like to wish you a very Happy Birthday. I'm looking forward to meeting you out there in your element this spring. Here's hoping for a great season. :D

All the best

B'saurus

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Happy Birthday Neil!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,

Your parents planned well,being born at the very start of the Butterfly season :lol: .
Many happy returns.

TREVOR.

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Best wishes from me as well, Neil :D
Hope to see you out there soon.

Vince

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Don't birthdays come round far too quickly these days?

At least you've had a nice sunny day today. Birthday cake in the garden? Or did the brisk wind blow out all 54 candles?

Jack

Susie

Post by Susie »

Happy birthday, Neil. I hope you saw a butterfly today to mark your day.

Wishing you many happy returns.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Happy Birthday Neil, hope you had a good day!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

All the best, Neil, both for today and beyond.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Happy birthday Neil, hope you have a great Butterfly season Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Many thanks for your birthday wishes B. rex, Pete, Trevor, Vince, Jack, Susie, Buggy, David and Goldie.

I had a great day and some great presents, including the 2014 update of 'The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland' (Thomas & Lewington). I already have the 1991 original, and two copies of the 2010 revised edition, but I just couldn't be without the most up-to-date texts on Swallowtail, Large Tortoiseshell and Long-tailed Blue, amongst others. The publication of multiple versions is to be expected of any Bible.

I didn't manage to see my first butterfly, or even get out in the sunshine, as I've been pretty much tied to my desk for the last few weeks. But I've finally managed to finish a comprehensive report on butterfly monitoring of the 'South Downs Way Ahead' Nature Improvement Area (NIA) project, one of 12 national NIA projects which are now coming to an end. I can only make judgement on the NIA led by the South Downs National Park Authority, but in my opinion this DEFRA-funded scheme has been a great success, in taking the first steps necessary to "rebuild a coherent and resilient ecological network", as recommended by the 'Lawton Report' (2010). I hope that further funding for this type of project becomes available, irrespective of the colour of the next government. It HAS to happen, if the children of my children are going to be able to look forward to seeing Large Blues, Dukes and High Browns, as many of us are, as another season approaches.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

We're Off!

I saw my first butterfly of 2015 today, followed by another eleven. A dozen Small Tortoiseshells were enjoying the mid afternoon sunshine on the banks of Ferring Rife, including a couple of almost scale-perfect specimens. This is my favourite Sussex site for this species and I hope to see numbers increase ten-fold over the next few weeks. The early indications are that the Small Tortoiseshell recovery is set to continue, rekindling childhood memories of days of plenty. I’ll never take the Small Tortoiseshell for granted again; a rare beauty is becoming common once more.
UKB Small Tortoiseshell, Ferring Rife, 7.3.15.jpg
UKB Small Tortoiseshell underside, Ferring Rife, 7.3.15.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”