Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

No problem Wurzel.

Changing colour.....

The photo below was taken in overcast conditions and, as you can see the body of this 1st instar Comma larva is mainly brown and grey.
2.8.2013 Comma larva 1st instar just hatched, Surrey 054-1_1.jpg
But when you photograph this species of larva in lighter conditions the body changes colour, to green, yellow and red as depicted in the next photo.
Comma larva, 1st instar 013-5_1_2.jpg
And just to prove a point, in the last photo this Comma 1st instar larva was taken half in the shade and, half in sunshine.
Comma larva  031.jpg
And the brighter the light the brighter the colours.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

The Red Admiral larva when it is freshly hatched is very similar to that of the Comma 1st instar, but has shorter strands of hair and less of it.
IMG_5756 Red Admiral 1st instar.jpg
But over a few days it's body takes quite a transformation. Here is a Red Admiral 1st instar larva just a few hours before it's first moult.
IMG_5414-3_1 Red Admiral 1st instar a few hours before its 1st moult.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

How long are our butterflies joined when copulating?... half an hour, an hour, an hour and a half, two hours?
What i have found, is that, it depends on what time of day butterflies decide to copulate. Take for instance the Small Tortoiseshell, the courtship starting mid afternoon, before mating late afternoon, early evening. They then stay joined throughout the night, separating the following morning. But how many other species of butterfly mate throughout the night? The Wood White is a strong candidate but, like the Orange-tip normally mate between 40-80 minutes, [which is average for quite a few of our butterflies] but this is not always the case......
Orange-tips copulating 046.jpg
this pair of Orange-tips spent at least fourteen hours copulating overnight [found just before 5pm 29th April and, checked the following morning at 7am 3oth April where they were still joined]. A possible two-three hours could quite easily be added to the fourteen hours that i witnessed these two Orange-tips copulating.
Last edited by Nick Broomer on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Nick,

I note reading some of your postings that you are no stranger to Chiddingfold forest,where the second brood
Wood Whites had a good year in 2014 .We went there especially to photograph them last summer.
What we did observe was a change in their routine at about 4.30/5.00pm.,when they started to settle down
from non- stop floppy flight to resting, courting and mating.
Some of the images from that day are on page 2 of my diary. Whether they stay coupled all evening or not I
don't know but the mating pair we saw stayed together for atleast two hours.

All the best,
TREVOR

trevor

Post by trevor »

Sorry Nick,the images are on page 3 of my diary :oops:
TREVOR.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Trevor,

many thanks for answering my post, really appreciated.

I have sent you a P.M.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Changing....... the first six days in the life of a Purple Hairstreak 1st instar larva..
Purple hairstreak 1st instar larva 045.jpg
One day old 1st instar larva outside it's new home.
Purple hairstreak larva, 1st instar 127-2.jpg
Two days old, still outside it's new home.
Purple Hairstreak larva, 1st instar 131-5.jpg
Day six, on the move......

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'd be pleased to see the Butterfly just once :D Goldie :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Amazing early stage shots, Nick.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Stunning Photos! Your interest, observations and approach makes your photographs and notes truly unique. So far you've manages to highlight something new and different about every species you cover. I cannot wait to see the full series of photos covering Purple Hairstreak! :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Nick, some great images and observations in your recent posts, fascinating stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Great images, Nick. You've clearly got a well developed sixth sense for early stages.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks everyone for your very flattering comments for something i really enjoy doing, i very nearly blushed.

Goldie its easy to see a Purple Hairstreak, just go out about 6-6.30 in the evening, and find an Oak Tree and look above the canopy and you should see a one. It will look quite silvery from a distance. Now photographing a Purple Hairstreak is a totally different matter, you need a lot of luck, and just being in the right place at the right time. Good luck for 2015.

Jamie, i haven't managed the full sequence of the P.H. lifecycle as yet, but hopefully i will soon. Good luck with your article on the P.H., i hope to be able to read it when you have finished. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you all again.

All the best, Nick.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I concur with everyone elses comments, these first instar pics are amazing. It's interesting that after only 6 days the purple hairstreak is already developing the distinctive pattering.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Nick,

RE. Wood Whites at Botany Bay. Sorry for the delay in answering your question, we left the site at about 6.30 pm.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Bugboy and Trevor,

thank you for your kind comments, Bugboy, Appreciated.

Trevor, thanks for your reply. Also appreciated.

All the best, Nick.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for the advice Nick , I always try to see them if I go to my daughters in Kent (not seen one yet) when I go to Gaits Barrow it's usually morning time then home ( we live an hour a way and after trudging round for a few hours we're ready for off :D I don't think we have any round here but you never know I'll have to go out later and look Goldie. :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Silver-washed Fritillary ovum freshly laid.
IMG_4846-1 Silver-washed Fritillary ovum.jpg
After two weeks the ovum turns black, and hatches a further week later. Where the newly emerged larva eats the shell.
IMG_6493-1 Silver-washed Fritillary ovum, 2 weeks after it was laid.jpg
The final photo depicts another S.W.F. ovum, [found on the same tree as the 1st egg, but laid about a week later, probably by a different female] which has been sucked dry.
IMG_7739-1 Silver-washed Fritillary empty ovum.jpg

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

You've done it again with the Silver-washed Fritillary ovum - wow! Thanks for the welcome and the comments about my article, once it's complete I will definitely send you a copy or a link to it depending if it's Dispar worthy! I admittedly got confused as with the comment beneath the last Purple Hairstreak larva photo, I assumed their would be another series of photos following the larva development, however I now realise looking at the order of text that it was relating to the above photo. :roll:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking stuff Nick :mrgreen: :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”