Nick Broomer

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: hideandseek

Post by Maximus »

Very nice shots Nick, glad you found both Brown and Purple Hairstreak ovum, shame sites get bu**ered up, really should'nt happen in this 'supposed' enlightened age :(

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Re: hideandseek

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks for your comments Wurzel and Mike, appreciated as always. :D :D

Wurzel, its great getting out during the winter months and, its even better when you are looking for the future generations of our butterflies. And like some forum members, saving a few from certain death, by searching storm damaged branches and rearing them for themselves. Also a great way to observe and learn. :D

Mike, it is a shame that vegetation is still being destroyed knowing that butterflies are laying their eggs here, [or a lack of communication]. I have witnessed this soul destroying act on woodland sites that are managed for these insects. :x So what hope have we got.

All the best, Nick.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Nick Broomer

Re: Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi everyone,

a long time since i posted, but my computer was on the way out. I have now got myself a new one and, have at last managed to install most of my photos.

Last year i spent most of my time learning more about the early stages, and trying to understand them rather than photographing butterflies.

Here is a photo of a Orange-tip larva just finishing eating it's moulted skin. I believe this is the first time this behaviour has ever been recorded, could be wrong.
Orange-tip Larva,  just finishing eating it`s moulted skin IMG_1932_1.jpg

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Nick Broomer wrote:Here is a photo of a Orange-tip larva just finishing eating it's moulted skin. I believe this is the first time this behaviour has ever been recorded, could be wrong.
Hi Nick - it's quite well-known that many larvae eat their old skin after a moult. Although I don't think I've seen a better photo of a larva in the process of doing this!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you back, Nick. Excellent image of rarely observed behaviour.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see you back Nick and looking forward to plenty more of your cracking photos :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Pete, David and Wurzel,

thank you for your kind comments, appreciated as always.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

When i was trying to get a close-up photograph of a Red Admiral's eye i was surprised to find it covered in tiny hairs, [i knew other butterflies had a few hairs, or none at all] that catches any dust particles, debris etc., [to small for the human eye to detect], ensuring protection against damage to the eyes.
IMG_4313-1 Red Admiral`s eye_1.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow! :mrgreen: That is a crazy image Nick :shock: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:Wow! :mrgreen: That is a crazy image Nick :shock:
It's certainly an eye-opener.

I love these types of image. They give you a different perspective.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Nick,

The Red Admiral eye photo is simply brilliant. I have been doing a lot more macro photography this past year, but my equipment won't allow that sort of detail. Woudl be interested to learn what lens you use.

Regards Kev

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Thanks for the comments guys. Appreciated.

David wrote, it's certainly an eye-opener. Nice pun.

Kev, i use a Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro DG HSM lens with a set of Kenko extension tubes, using manual focus. Hope that helps.

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

To big to pupate...

The 1st photo below shows a Small White larva at 25mm in length and, 2-3mm wide. This is the normal size of a 4th instar thats ready to pupate.
Small White larva, 4th instar [2] 25mm long 286-5_1_1.jpg
The 2nd photo depicts another Small White larva that for some reason has grown to the mighty size of 35mm in length and, 5mm wide, far to big to pupate. If this caterpillar had managed to successfully pupate it would have been a Large Small White, but sadly it went a funny colour and died.
Small White larva,4th instar, [1] 35mm long, 5mm across 255-5_1_1.jpg
In the 3rd photo [just for comparison] it shows a Small White larva preparing to pupate, now only 19 mm in length, the size of the fully pupated pupa, [the bottom left corner] whilst in the top right of the photo you have the overgrown larva at 35mm in length.
Small White larva 35mm long, 5mm wide002.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

You are excelling yourself, Nick. Wonderful images.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Nick :D Any ideas what caused the increase in size - was it carrying any parasitic larva?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi David and Wurzel,

thanks for the kind comments.

Wurzel, the larva must have been just damned greedy, :roll: :wink:

All the best, Nick.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Sorry Wurzel, i didn't answer your question fully, or properly. You asked, any ideas what caused the increase in size, was it carrying any parasitic larva?
Firstly, there must of been something genetically wrong with this particular caterpillar, just to carry on feeding until it died. Secondly if it had been parasited it should not have made any difference to it's size.

All the best, Nick.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Interesting, Nick.

There is a phenomenon called neotony, in which an organism persists in its larval form and never metamorphoses. The most well known example is the axolotl, which is the larval stage of a species of salamander that "never grows up". I have never heard of this happening with butterfly larvae, but maybe there are documented examples.

Can anyone out there provide any more information?

Dave

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Found this on Scientific American.

A gene named Broad [odd name for a gene] is essential for the change from larva to pupa to complete metamorphosis in a caterpillar. If the caterpillar is without this gene it is incapable of developing into a pupa. So fails in it's quest to become a Butterfly, and lives out it's life as a caterpillar where it continues to eat and grow larger until it eventually dies.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the answer Nick. It's really interested me and has sent me trawling back through my memory, partiularly when Dave mentioned neotony. It seems that the absence of 'Broad' casues something like neotony but without one of the defining features which is the ability to sexually reproduce - more of an endless childhood than retention of juvenile characteristics in a sexually mature adult. I'll have to have more of look at this and I'm wondering whether this 'broad' gene is a/like a Hox gene? I'll have to dig out my genetics books tomorrow :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”