Purple Emperor Brown Hair St Goldie M

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Goldie M

Purple Emperor Brown Hair St Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm planning to go looking for the Purple Emperor and the Brown Hair Streak this year and would be grateful if anybody could tell me which site I would be sure to see both of these species, also I believe the Wood White could be a possible in August.

I've been to Bently Wood didn't have much luck so don't really want to go back there, really need to book some accommodation with certain dates and times so if any one can help I'd be grateful.

I've heard of different places in Sussex also Northamton , Fermyn Woods is one but not sure which to visit Goldie :?: :D
dilettante

Re: Purple Emperor Brown Hair St Goldie M

Post by dilettante »

If you go at the right time in the right weather, Fermyn Woods is pretty much a dead cert for seeing PE in numbers.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Bernwood and Whitecross Green Wood, near Oxford, are good for both species but Brown H tends to fly later in this part of the world, so you might do better in the more southern woods - Chiddingfold, etc. Locals from that area will doubtless advise.

Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Dilettante and Mike, I'm still wondering though what the best time to see them is because I went to Bently Wood on the 5th of July until the 12th, we were there most days with the exception of may be two and saw only the Silver Washed Fritillaries which was great but no sign of the Emperor's.Goldie :D
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Goldie
If you want almost guaranteed Purple Emperor then Fermyn Woods is the place to go if the weather is good then you will see Himself probably the best week is the second week in July in a 'normal' year although this can depend on the weather in the spring. You are unlikely to see BH anywhere at the same time as the flight seasons do not really coincide with these starting to fly in early august just after PE has faded out :(
I am based on the South Coast and there are a few sites here but they are a long way from you, Grafton Wood is good for BH although I have not been myself but I am sure other UKBers will give you some pointers, worth checking the Ash Brownies blog too http://betulae.blogspot.co.uk
Kind Regards
Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Mark Tutton wrote:You are unlikely to see BH anywhere at the same time as the flight seasons do not really coincide with these starting to fly in early august just after PE has faded out
Back in 2012 I got to see both Brown Hairstreak and a female Purple Emperor at Bookham Commons :D . Bookham Commons often reports Emperors at the end of June so I suppose seeing this one on the 10th of August was exceptional :?:

Have not been to Fermyn Woods yet but so many great reports have come from there it’s an absolute must for this year :) .

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6438&p=64105#p64105
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mike and Phizoid, looks like I'll have to take a chance and book the second week in JULY may be if I'd done that last year when I went to Bently Wood instead of going the first week I might have seen them. :(

I'll go south I think in August for the Hair Streaks , I'll get a bit more info on that before we decide, thanks again Goldie :D
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Hi Goldie M,
Regarding the Male Purple Emperors, I think there are two different options:
Look up (without treading in it) for a period of approx. 1 month or
Look down near the ground (without treading on it) for a period of about 1 week near the beginning of the flight period. Apparently (as was the case last year), if you watch the end of Neil's shoe carefully or take his advice, I guess you are unlikely to miss them :D
It is very mild at the moment and if the mild weather continues through the spring (which it might not) or if it gets very cold, pre-booking your holiday may miss this spectacle by a week or two.
It is my cousins 50th birthday coming up and I am just about to post him a Birthday Card (I hope you don't mind this scan, Goldie M?)

Has anyone got a "Purple Emperor Drone" that doesn't get stuck in trees or cut the butterflies when the drone is chased ?
50th Birthday Card Enclosed !
50th Birthday Card Enclosed !
Best 2015 Wishes,
Philip
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kind Regards,
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Phil, you've got me thinking twice about booking now :D may be it's best to wait see what the winter brings then decide, having said that was it 2013 when we had all that snow in April,? you can't win :D Goldie :D

PS Love the card :D

Return to “General”