Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Susie

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:The red admirals are still showing really well in the garden. Dead heading the buddleias earlier in the summer has paid off and most are having a second flowering
Interesting, Susie.

I must try that myself next year.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I'm down in Bognor this weekend enjoying a soul weekender and during a stroll along the prom in lovely sunshine today saw quite a few red admirals flying along the sea edge. They didn't seem to be flying out to sea or in from the sea, just along.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Yesterday I took the pup to Cissbury Ring and was surprised by how many butterflies were around so this morning, finding I had some time on my hands, I went back with my camera. I didn't see any clouded yellows as I did on Monday but there were still small copper, common blue, brown argus, small heath, speckled wood, red admiral, meadow brown and wall - quite a respectable tally for this time of year!

Susie

Post by Susie »

10647200_10152752237571972_8938778650781970876_n.jpg

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Susie I'm :mrgreen: with envey, your photo is lovely of the CB but for you to see so many different Butterflies, Well! it's amazing :mrgreen: I bet you were very pleased Goldie :D

Susie

Post by Susie »

Rather a belated post but last Saturday 4 October I saw a brown hairstreak flying strongly while I was out walking the dog. It is probably the last I'll see this year and has made for a very long season for them.

Susie

Post by Susie »

I saw a wall yesterday at pitch hill in Surrey and a red admiral today close to home. Butterflies are still about but not for too much longer I think.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Red admiral and small white in the village this morning.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Red admirals still on the wing :-)
I think leaving some fruit on the pear tree helps when there isn't much nectar about.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'm sure you're right, Susie. Round here, windfall apples are undoubtedly the main draw for red admirals and I see them around the apple trees (which seem to grow wild in the meadows) on my early morning dog walks even when the temperature has barely crept above zero.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Yes, any old fruit seems to be an attraction to Red Admirals and other insects. My father had loads of Red Admirals coming to the fallen Yew berries in his garden in the Scottish Borders. They even came on quite cool, overcast days!

Susie

Post by Susie »

Definitely fruit trees seems to be something worth having to provide them with a food source (as well as ourselves). Saw more red admirals today.

Susie

Post by Susie »

On Monday I went to Stonehenge to see the solstice celebrations. It's the first time I've been and it certainly was an interesting experience! Does anyone know what the site is like for butterflies in the summer?

Happy Christmas to you all and best wishes for 2015.
10838242_10152956873216972_104381667742482163_o.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

My Larkhill stop off is about 30 seconds drive away so it's pretty good with good numbers of skippers, browns, whites and blues. I had my first Larkhill Greenstreak this year and a Purple Emperor was recorded at the Larkhill camp. Some of the areas of the surrounding Plain have huger numbers of Dark Gren Frits and Marshies and there are sites nearby where you can pick up Adonis and Chalkhills plus Shipton Bellinger is about 20 minutes away as is my Duke site :D
I know what you mean about the Solstice I took the girls the year it snowed and it was weird, odd, magical and awe inspiring all at the same time. We managed to get right into the circle and my older daughter kept pointing out the 'wizards'. I found it was the closest I've ever come to a spiritual sensation :)
I hope you had a great Xmas and the rest of the festivities will be cracking too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks wurzel! Sounds like a great area :D

Stonehenge certainly was interesting, you weren't anyone if you weren't wearing a cloak and funny head gear seemed compulsory too :lol: I loved every minute of it, although there were too many people there for it to feel spiritual for an introvert like me. Give me a site like Kingley Vale any day. It certainly is special though. I can't wait to go back.

Have a wonderful Christmas too :D

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Kingley Vale..... now there's a place, in amoung the ancient yews..now that is an experience...

Susie

Post by Susie »

I'd have never thought of you as spiritual, Chris. Perhaps you found your inner druid :lol:

Some of the characters from Stonehenge
10456061_10152956868186972_7202523340455514058_n.jpg
10511201_10152956861426972_3663495706241674251_n.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

I hope everyone is having a lovely Christmas :D

I went to Petworth Park this afternoon for a bracing walk with the family. The hound found something by one of the large ant hills and he made a sharpish exit after giving it a sniff so I went in to investigate. Click on the short video if you want to see what it was ....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 6205880133

David M

Post by David M »

I'm surprised that reptile is still active in these cold conditions. I trust the pooch came out unscathed?

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thank you for asking, David. Yes, Billy is fine. He is a very bright dog and gave it plenty of space once he realised what it was. He's wise beyond his years at times.
10349135_10152867151911972_8067976947661951758_n.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”