Holiday to Tenerife part 5

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Tenerife part 5

Post by Philzoid »

continued from part 4:- garajonay National park la gomera

And so was I going to see the Canary island Red Admiral :?: Well I thought so as an admiral buzzed past in typical fast flight :D . Then it landed some distance away amongst bramble scrub and I got my camera on it. Vanessa yes …. but atalanta not vulcania :| . Blue Chaffinches and Canary Red Admirals? These tour guides like to talk things up :roll: …but still it was another species confirmed and two new ones in minutes :D .
Red Admiral, Garajonay national park
Red Admiral, Garajonay national park
Unlike in 2011 the area had lots of butterflies, though many were more than slightly scuffed from hanging around thorny brambles.
Long-tailed Blue
Long-tailed Blue
Female Canary Blue
Female Canary Blue
Male Long-tailed Blue
Male Long-tailed Blue
2014.07.28 IMG_5695 Canary Blue, (Cyclyrius webbianus), Garajonay park, La Gomera i t.jpg
2014.07.28 IMG_5704 Canary Blue, (Cyclyrius webbianus), Garajonay park, La Gomera g t.jpg
Unlike 2011, my elusive little friend the Small Copper was turning up unexpectedly, a bit like they do in the UK
Unlike 2011, my elusive little friend the Small Copper was turning up unexpectedly, a bit like they do in the UK
2014.07.28 IMG_5719 Small Copper, (Lycaena phlaeas), Garajonay park, La Gomera gi t.jpg
Long-tailed Blue
Long-tailed Blue
Canary Blue male & female
Canary Blue male & female
2014.07.28 IMG_5737 Canary Blue (male & female), Garajonay park, La Gomera gi t.jpg
In my pursuit of blues and coppers I’d almost forgotten the time and had to sprint back to the bus :shock: . Fortunately there were others who were later than me and while we waited a male Cleopatra put in an appearance it’s bright orange patches clearly visible as it fluttered around me (I swear I could hear its wing-beats) :D before moving off and out of sight..

WRT the “Cleopatra” I have read that the butterfly is not a sub-species of Gonepteryx Cleopatra (eversi) but rather has its own specific status Gonepteryx cleobule or Canary Brimstone. The butterfly is found on only three of the islands: Tenerife, La Palma and most commonly on La Gomera and is considered endangered.
http://www.pyrgus.de/Gonepteryx_cleobule_en.html

The bus wound its way through the laurel forest and making another short stop where I got to meet another wildlife inhabitant, the La Gomeran Skink 8)
Smooth scaled like our slow-worm, the La Gomeran Skink Chalcides coerulopunctatus
Smooth scaled like our slow-worm, the La Gomeran Skink Chalcides coerulopunctatus
The bus continued on and as in 2011 we stopped at the Las Rosas restaurant for our lunch. And the feeling of déjà vu was complete with a serving of the same meal (Chicken in mojo sauce with Canarian potatoes (yum) followed by a banana for desert :? ) and a demonstration of the La Gomeran or Silbo whistling language (waiters and waitresses multi-lingual (they have us believe) in whistling) Not to be missed 8) :!: .
No butterflies were seen around the restaurant (in 2011, I got my first Small White on nasturtium)

Moving on past the picturesque town of Agulo we arrived at the Museo Molino de Gofio (La Gomeran agriculture) where in 2011 I had photographed the African Grass Blues on pepper plants. None were seen this time, only a solitary Small White and another La Gomeran skink which due to its lost tail and stumpy re-growth looked more like a slug with legs :wink:
Agulo
Agulo
2014.07.28 IMG_5751 P1230284 Amazing rock formation nr. Museo de Gofio, Hermigua. La Gomera m2.jpg
2014.07.28 IMG_5754 Small White, Museo de gofio, La Gomera t.jpg
"Stumpy"
"Stumpy"
By the time we got back to San Sebastien, sailed across to Tenerife and the bus journey back to Sunningdale Village it was night time. An ideal time to show the others Los Abrigos and try out a fish restaurant 8)
Los Abrigos harbour at night
Los Abrigos harbour at night
Only one more left (and its getting more like trip advisor :oops: )
Chris Jackson

Re: Holiday to Tenerife part 5

Post by Chris Jackson »

Your Canary Blues are original, Phil. :)
Summer holidays seem a long time ago now - sigh!!
Chris
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

cjackson wrote:Your Canary Blues are original, Phil.
Yes one of only 5 species I know of endemic to the Canaries. The upperside of the male CB at first glance is similar to the male Long-tailed Blue.
cjackson wrote:Summer holidays seem a long time ago now - sigh!!
Too true :( Roll on next summer.
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

another excellent instalment !!

i especially liked Stumpy the lizard.

i have read about this whistling language... it sounds amazing.

8) 8)

Charles
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Silbo or whistling language was adopted by the Guanches (peoples of the Canaries before the Spanish conquest) as a means for the largely agricultural peoples to communicate over distance (up to 5Km) across difficult terrain. It was adapted to Spanish but gradually succumbed to modernisation. In La Gomera it has been revived as part of the island's cultural heritage.

WRT the restaurant demonstration I would liken its entertainment value to that of a show given by a master conjurer 8) (but there again would you want Paul Daniels turning up when you were eating your dinner :? )

Edit 6 endemic species:- Canary Blue; Canary Islands Large White; Canary Brimstone; Canary Speckled Wood; Canary Grayling (4 sub-species or species depending on who you read) and Canary Skipper.
EricY

Post by EricY »

You did a lot better than I did on Gomera. Did the panorama & valley of Kings tour on Dec 11th & saw no wildlife or Butterflies at all in cold cloudy weather. Enjoyed your reports. Eric
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Not sure if cool cloudy weather is the norm in December and butterflies certainly don't like it so I'm sorry to hear you missed out Eric :? . However if you're in the canaries during the summer months I would recommend giving La Gomera another go. :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking report Philzoid - the LTB shots are great :mrgreen: Some really useful information here for butterfliers with families - where teh wildlife is but alos what your kids can do while you're out after the butterflies :D Some Brownie point neutral butterflying, nice :D

Have a goodun (Christmas and New Year that is!)

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks Wurzel :) .
Brownie points are much more easily acquired when you’re on holiday of course. The resort swimming pool was always handy in the first few days of to keep the ladies occupied while I went off for an hour or two (picking up provisions from the local stores on the way back). Always take charge of events where you can but mix it up a bit. Make a note of what else is going on when you’re out on forays eg. “Los Abrigos is nice area with fish restaurants worth a visit”

For future holidays to Tenerife getting further afield i.e to the north of the Island will be a bit trickier :? . The plan to buy me time will be based around dropping the ladies off for some shopping in Santa Cruz :wink: .
David M

Post by David M »

Philzoid wrote: Brownie points are much more easily acquired when you’re on holiday of course. The resort swimming pool was always handy in the first few days of to keep the ladies occupied while I went off for an hour or two (picking up provisions from the local stores on the way back). Always take charge of events where you can but mix it up a bit. Make a note of what else is going on when you’re out on forays eg. “Los Abrigos is nice area with fish restaurants worth a visit”

For future holidays to Tenerife getting further afield i.e to the north of the Island will be a bit trickier :? . The plan to buy me time will be based around dropping the ladies off for some shopping in Santa Cruz :wink: .
I like your psychology, Philzoid! :D

Surely repeated events get to see you 'rumbled' though?
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

David M wrote:Surely repeated events get to see you 'rumbled' though?
I think you're right there David. To be honest she doesn't mind me not being around all the time :wink: ... it's all about getting the right balance.
WRT to Santa Cruz, this year's visit was a coach trip but only for a 2 hour stay in such a fine city. By driving over myself (saving time) there should be scope for them to have a longer stay but I'll need to do some homework in advance on where to explore (in the hills). Alternatively the city parks/gardens might yield some good sightings. :)

Return to “General”