Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

PS - apologies for anyone expecting Maps this week - as they were a release I didn't think they could count :? If anyone wants me too I could set up an extra thread? Maybe next year we'll get some proper immigrant Maps, fingers, toes, legs, arms etc crossed :wink:
Chris Jackson

Re: Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Chris Jackson »

It is always a pleasure to see the first Marbled Whites appear. Their black and white colours make a distinct change from other species.
First sighting this year on 3rd of June. Here is a mating couple from the South of France, male on the right, I believe.
galathea11_13 pair P Bruyères 16 June 2014.JPG
Chris
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had the excitement this year of seeing my first Marbled White on my local patch in seven years of looking. Unfortunately this pioneer declined to stop for a commemorative photo, but I am hopeful this will be just the start as there is certainly some suitable habitat for them to expand into.

This species is particularly beautiful when very fresh, and most years I find the best ones down at Box Hill out on Burford Spur, where they share the slopes with brand new Dark Green Fritillaries, and compete with them for the knapweed flowers. This one is from 11th June.
MW5 110614.JPG
MW7 110614.JPG
Dave
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Why did the caterpillar cross the road?

I've no idea why. It's exactly the same on both sides - lush grazing meadow.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another shot taken on a memorable day at Daneway Banks. Although Large Blue may be the main attraction, there is much else of interest to be seen at this site.
Daneway Banks, Glos. - 17th June 2014<br />Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Daneway Banks, Glos. - 17th June 2014
Nikon D300s with 90mm Tamron macro lens - 1/180s@f/6.7 ISO400
Mike
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

It's very handy having a friend who spends many hours during April and May on his knees and elbows sifting through grass stems looking for Wall larvae (I much prefer to do my larvae searching at head height!). Badger Bob invariably finds larvae of other species of butterfly and moth and his search area is also along my old transect route. He is always good enough to let me know where he has made interesting finds and here are a couple of shots of mid instar Marbled White larvae that I managed to find for myself.
Attachments
Marbled White (mid-instar larva; green form) 11.4.14 Frog Firle, East Sussex. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
Marbled White (mid-instar larva; brown form) 11.4.14 Frog Firle, East Sussex. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Every year one feels guilty for neglecting certain species.

In 2014 I felt that I had to do justice to Silver Studded Blues, White Admirals and Silver Washed Fritillaries.

I may have to earmark Marbled Whites for a renewed 'assault' in 2015, because I was unforgiveably blasé about them this year.

I suppose seeing four figure numbers at Daneway Banks was contributory but that doesn't detract from the fact that this insect is one of the UK's most recogniseable and endearing butterfly species.

The best shot I got was early in their flight season at Collard Hill on 14th June:
1MW(1).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I thought I'd put my photo's of MW's in already but mustn't have pressed the submit button so here I go again :oops:

Both photo's were taken at Carter's Cove in Hampshire 7th and 8th July and were taken from a good distance, I was on the other side of a fence which surrounded a field in which a Bull resided :lol: No way was I brave enough to enter :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
MW C C 6th july 2014 IMG_6525.JPG
MW C C 7th July 2014 IMG_6635.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Marbled Whites have been slowly but surely spreading into the area around Solihull during the past few years and since my first few local sightings in 2012, followed by a few more in 2013, I saw 30 or more locally this year, mostly at Castle Hills.
Marbled White - Castle Hills Solihull 06.07.2014
Marbled White - Castle Hills Solihull 06.07.2014
During my week in Dorset in late June/early July I saw this species just about everywhere, sometimes in huge numbers, particularly along the stretch of coast going east from Bowleaze Cove...
Marbled White - Bowleaze Cove 29.06.2014
Marbled White - Bowleaze Cove 29.06.2014
...and on Portland,
Marbled White - Broadcroft Quarry Portland 30.06.2014
Marbled White - Broadcroft Quarry Portland 30.06.2014
Cheers,

Neil.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

One of my Marbled White larva that Downland Boy has already mentioned. This one was fully grown and even has a bit of a smiley face to show how happy he is to get there. The adult butterfly was quite early in the flight season but it already has some grass mites attached.
Marbled White larva.
Marbled White larva.
DSC_2962 (1280x772).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marbled White 29-06 Grovely Wood

After a successful first ever trip to Grovely Wood during which I encountered some ace White Admirals I was making my way homewards when the path opened up into a small field that held a profusion of wildflowers. I couldn’t resist stepping in to have a look at what butterflies would also be present. Whilst there a female Marbled White fluttered by and proceeded to perch directly in front of me sitting up and posing. Because of the willingness of the butterfly to allow me to photograph her it obviously had to be my favourite shot of Marbled White for 2014.
Marbled White.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Marbled White”