Holiday to Tenerife part 4

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Tenerife part 4

Post by Philzoid »

Warning :!: :- this instalment has only one butterfly so you may wish to fast forward

cont from part 3 ... And so we piled our stuffed suitcases into the car and headed off for Sunningdale Village. Unlike the other CLC resorts (Paradise and Monterrey which overlook Las Americas) this one sent us heading back towards the airport :? . In addition the sky was now overcast which augmented our somewhat apprehensive mood. However any doubts were unfounded when we arrived and saw the resort and our apartment … top notch :D .
Grey skies over Sunningdale Village
Grey skies over Sunningdale Village
The only downside (for me) was that the nearest bit of waste ground had been fenced off (is Spain getting like Britain now :roll: ), so my nature forays were going to need a car journey.
Putting all this aside we unanimously agreed (for a change :wink: ) that we should go to the beach (specifically "Monkey Beach") as the cloud looked like it was breaking up westward over the coastline. In fact the blanket white cloud hung around for four days and brought the temperature down to around 25C, which was about 1 or 2 degrees less than in Britain at that time :o . It was still T-shirt weather, and not the anticipated scorching heat we’d been concerned about from having to take a break in the school summer holiday period.

It was great to have some fun with the kids, riding the small Atlantic rollers, and building black sand castles on the beach :) . However, as always, I was on the ready for a wild-life moment and my vigilance was rewarded when I spotted one of Tenerife’s famous giant Robber flies hare-ing about (hard to miss to be fair :lol: ) It landed on a sun-lounger so I approached slowly taking shots all the time until I was as near as I could go with my Tamron lens. Close-up through the viewfinder was a hairy nightmarish apparition leisurely feeding on its diminutive hapless prey (a hoverfly species?).
2014.07.25 IMG_5358 Robber fly Promachus vexator, on beach lounger with prey, Monkey beach, Costa Adeje.jpg
Promachus vexator with prey
Promachus vexator with prey
2014.07.25 IMG_5370 Robber fly Promachus vexator, on beach lounger with prey, Monkey beach, Costa Adeje.jpg
Next day was another day spent lounging around during the daytime although we booked up an excursion to La Gomera and Santa Cruz and tickets for Aqualand and Jungle Park (zoo). WRT wildlife: all I got was my second moth of the holiday, resting on our apartment wall. I have not been able to ID it yet although it is similar to our Double-striped Pug.
2014.07.26 IMG_5416 Pug moth, Sunningdale Village, Golf del Sur t.jpg
The following day was the obligatory ½ day meeting with a CLC holiday sales rep (needless to say we did get an “upgrade” :? ). In 2011 in the same scenario, I spotted an African Migrant butterfly on a jacaranda tree. No such luck this time but I did get to see a Wasp spider.
Argiope trifasciata
Argiope trifasciata
Desperate to rescue what was left of the day and walk off some calories from the complimentary breakfast, I jumped into the car :wink: and set off to exploring the area around Golf del Sur. This led me to a little fishing port called Los Abrigos and nearby there looked to be some suitable arid terrain for wildlife. This proved to be the case but not for butterflies rather the Red-veined darter Dragonflies which this time were in good numbers. :D
2014.07.27 IMG_5491a P1230137 Waste-ground nr Los Abrigos.jpg
Los Abrigos
Los Abrigos
Sympetrum fonscolombii Red-veined Darter
Sympetrum fonscolombii Red-veined Darter
The red-bodied males were the harder to get near to
The red-bodied males were the harder to get near to
2014.07.27 IMG_5549 Red-veined Darter( male), Los Abrigos, South Tenerife.jpg
2014.07.27 IMG_5556 Red-veined Darter, Los Abrigos, South Tenerife.jpg
2014.07.27 IMG_5588 Red-veined Darter (male), Los Abrigos, South Tenerife.jpg
Though in my element I was conscious that time was passing and the need to get back to get ready for an evening out. As I left I made a note of coming back to Los Abrigos not just to see the Dragonflies but to show the others the pretty harbour area and maybe try out one of the fish restaurants around it.

The one-way system around Golf del Sur meant a longer journey back but I was glad it did because I couldn’t believe my eyes when I spotted something which I’ve only ever briefly glimpsed before, a pair of Hoopoe :shock: :D . I stopped the car about 50 yards from where they were busy on the ground, probing around the kerbstones and amongst the path tiles for their (insect) food. I grabbed my camera and gradually approached, praying they wouldn’t fly away or that a passing car would set them off. Thankfully they more or less stayed put (as long as I didn’t get any nearer than 10 yards (trying to get closer made them move on to maintain their distance) 8) . One of the birds was more boldly coloured than the other which I assume was the male. Eventually a car did come along and they made off.
Male bird
Male bird
2014.07.27 IMG_5604 Hoopoe (male bird), Avenida J.M. Galvan Bello, Golf del Sur.jpg
2014.07.27 IMG_5608 Hoopoe (2), Avenida J.M. Galvan Bello, Golf del Sur t m.jpg
Female bird
Female bird
2014.07.27 IMG_5632 Hoopoe (female bird), Avenida J.M. Galvan Bello, Golf del Sur t.jpg
Back at the ranch my enthusiasm for the sightings :D was not shared by Sharon :( as our tickets for our excursion to La Gomera had arrived with a 07:00a.m start to catch the coach for the ferry port. “Never mind you can doze on the coach dear” was not well received. :lol:
So an early start and a long trip to get to the ferry port in Los Cristianos because the bus went around the houses picking up customers :| . Sharon’s mood hadn’t lifted and was not helped when the tour guide asked us for our passports (to show to the port authorities :o :?: …. but we hadn’t been told by the ticket agent to bring them). The guide a young chap said “ees no problem” and anyway it wasn’t going to spoil my day :) .

The Fred Olsen ferry scooted across the sea at some rate of knots (only the Cory’s Shearwaters could keep up) and it wasn’t long before we arrived in the capital San Sebastien and were back on the bus winding our way up the steep roads into the mountains. The tour guide spoke in Spanish; German and English and we learned some interesting facts such as La Gomera is the only Canary Island to have its volcanic activity extinct. There were signs of its previous activity with “Los Roques” which are solidified lava plugs exposed by erosion.
2014.07.28 IMG_5658 P1230219 Roque de Agando by TF-713, La Gomera.jpg
As we got higher the vegetation changed and we left behind the agaves and cacti, through a zone of tree-like ericas and into the Laurel forest of Garajonay national park. As in 2011 the bus pulled into a stopping area which had a café, toilets and more importantly a large open area surrounded by bushes and brambles reminiscent of being in England :) . The tour guide told us to watch out for the Cleopatra butterfly and the Canary Island Red Admiral. And on the walk in he pointed out some “Blue Chaffinches” hopping along the shaded forest floor. I set my camera in manual to cope with dark conditions but the photos were not very good. Subsequently I realised they were not Blue Chaffinches but Tintillon Chaffinches, a sub-species (what else? :wink: ) of our common Chaffinch.
Female Tintillon Chaffinch
Female Tintillon Chaffinch
As we came out of the dark into the lit open area a brown butterfly caught my eye:- a Canary Speckled Wood :shock: . It landed with its wings open but closed them as I got my camera ready. Frantically trying to reset the manual settings, I only managed a few over-exposed pictures and he was off :( . Oh well I’ve now added Canary Speckled Wood (Parage xiphioides) to my sightings.
Parage xiphioides, Canary Speckled Wood
Parage xiphioides, Canary Speckled Wood
With so much to explore and only 30 minutes to do it in I wasn’t going to be queuing in a café (Sharon with the girls got that job :lol: ). I asked her to get me a Honey liqueur (but I might’ve said coffee liqueur :? ). Anyway, she came back with two drinks unable to consume the “foul tasting” one she’d got for herself. Oh well bottoms up. :)

Phil

more to follow ...
Charles Nicol

Re: Holiday to Tenerife part 4

Post by Charles Nicol »

another very entertaining read Phil !

i loved the Hoopoe pics... they are beautiful creatures.

am looking forward to the sequel

8) 8)

charles
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You've caught the essence of Canary speckled wood - and if the photo hadn't been a little over-exposed the subtle colouring of the underside might not have been visible, with the picture being taken into the sun. A special butterfly.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Still never seen a Hoopoe so your images have made me proper jealous (apologies for the 'chavspeak').
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

My only Hoopoe in Britain was at the side of an A-road in Gloucestershire, probing around the gravel, with traffic (including me) zooming past. No idea what they find is so interesting about Tarmac! :mrgreen: .

Tony M.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Charles Nicol wrote:another very entertaining read Phil !i loved the Hoopoe pics... they are beautiful creatures. am looking forward to the sequel
Thanks Charles :)
Beautiful and perhaps slightly ‘odd’ looking :? . Trying to work out what it was related to I checked up on Wikipedia and it states it as belonging in the family Upupidae and it is the sole living representative. There are a number of subspecies (although the one seen in the canaries is (I believe), the nominate form (for a change :lol: )) The family belongs in the clade coraciiformes which include Kingfishers, Rollers, Bee-eaters and Woodhoopoes). I think there is some resemblance in there but taxonomy if far more complicated than relying just on external characteristics (don’t think I’ve explained it that well so I would check it up).

Hopefully the final two posts will not disappoint too much as I’m running out of butterflies to show :( .
Padfield wrote:You've caught the essence of Canary speckled wood - and if the photo hadn't been a little over-exposed the subtle colouring of the underside might not have been visible, with the picture being taken into the sun. A special butterfly.
I agree entirely Guy :!: Top of my wish list to see another when I next go back 8) .
David M wrote:Still never seen a Hoopoe so your images have made me proper jealous (apologies for the 'chavspeak').
Yeah I was dead lucky like David :lol:
Tony Moore wrote:My only Hoopoe in Britain was at the side of an A-road in Gloucestershire, probing around the gravel, with traffic (including me) zooming past. No idea what they find is so interesting about Tarmac! .
Great to see one in Britain :mrgreen:

Although Hoopoes are largely insectivores, you would’ve thought there were easier ways to get a meal than probing on the tarmac and compacted soil between kerbstones (surprised me :o ). There again they obviously know where their favourite food is and they have the tools for the job what with their long probing beak and strong clawed feet.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I suspect the paler Hoopoe is a juvenile as opposed to a female, it certainly has a 'youngster' look about it to my eyes. Don't think sexes can be seperated visually. Great photos though, only ever seen one once in the wild, in france, from a great distance!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Philzoid - those are some of the best Hoopoes I've ever seen. My only sightings were in Poland years ago - they shouldn't have been there so it was really a bit of a twitch :shock: but I didn't get views half as good as yours :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

bugboy wrote:I suspect the paler Hoopoe is a juvenile as opposed to a female, it certainly has a 'youngster' look about it to my eyes. Don't think sexes can be seperated visually. Great photos though, only ever seen one once in the wild, in france, from a great distance!
Hi Buggy :) . I’d considered that the less brighter bird may be a juvenile but both the birds I saw were hunting for their own food. Also there is no gape flange at the base of the beak normally a characteristic of a juvenile bird. I looked on the web and found a site which stated that:- “Males and females are similar in appearance, but the male is slightly larger and his colours are a little brighter“. http://www.robstewartphotography.com/fa ... p?i_id=536
Wurzel wrote:Cracking stuff Philzoid - those are some of the best Hoopoes I've ever seen. My only sightings were in Poland years ago - they shouldn't have been there so it was really a bit of a twitch but I didn't get views half as good as yours
Thanks Wurzel :) . Perhaps I got a better view of the hoopoe but I think I’m right in saying you saw 7 species of Woodpecker on your trip to Poland :shock: :mrgreen: :wink:

Return to “General”