Holiday to Tenerife part 3

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Philzoid

Holiday to Tenerife part 3

Post by Philzoid »

Satiated on our ‘spam’ burger, chips and salad from the "La Paz" we moved on along the winding TF-21 climbing higher and higher until we entered Canadas del Teide which is a flat desert-like zone over 7000ft above sea level. At the “entry point” where the TF-21 junctions with the TF-38 is a stopping point which affords marvellous views of the landscape and the peaks of Viejo (pico Viejo) and Pico Teide. These peaks are part of the Teide volcanic complex. The area in we were in is surrounded by high ridges, that are the inner edges of an older volcanic crater (caldera) formed before the smaller cones of Viejo and Teide sprouted up within it. The rocks and flow formations are in different colours depending on their age. The youngest rocks are (I think) black and they slowly change colour as the metals in them oxidise. Teide is considered dormant and it last erupted in 1909.

In amongst the rocks we could make out Gallotia galloti Tenerife lacertid lizards. They appeared to quite bold suggesting that they were used to receiving tit-bits from tourists. In 2011 I accidently discovered you could feed them. When I sat still observing them one came right up to take a nibble on my fingers. I realised it could smell the dry cured ham that I’d been eating earlier. After that me and Isabella went back and fed them little snippets of serrano. Unfortunately we had nothing to offer them on this occasion but perhaps it was for the best :? because in principle I’m opposed to the ‘domestication of wildlife’ (which feeding ultimately leads to)
Galollotia galloti blending in with the rocks
Galollotia galloti blending in with the rocks
B 2014.07.23 IMG_4936 Male Gallotia galloti lizard among the rocks, stop point in Las Canadas del Teide.jpg
After our stop to admire the view and take some photos, we set off again heading along the TF-21 to get to an area near the Cable car station. Cruising through the sun-drenched lunar-like landscape with Jessica (theme music to Top Gear) on the radio was absolute magic 8) . This is the 4th time I’ve been to this area but it never fails to bring me joy :D .
Eventually I brought the cruising to a halt and pulled in to a lay-by to drink in more of the stunning views. A few years back we’d taken the trip up the cable car to the near summit at around 12,000 feet. The long wait and high cost to get on board the car was worth it for the views from the top but both me and Izzy suffered from altitude sickness :( . I could walk no more that 5 – 10 yards without needing a rest and it took a lot of effort to avoid falling asleep :shock: . A six year old Izzy at the time, just whined that she felt unwell. Meanwhile there were hiker types and other people a lot older than me, lighting up and chuffing away :shock: :evil: :mrgreen: .
Landscape taken from out stop point
Landscape taken from out stop point
As we were drinking in our surroundings Sharon pointed out that a butterfly was on her foot :o . She was wearing plastic sandals with a flower adornment and there in the middle of the flower was a Canary Blue. :D
Fraid you won't find nectar there mate
Fraid you won't find nectar there mate
It became quickly evident that there was more than one of these little gems and they were (presumably) all after moisture and/or their fix of salts (Nivea factor 50 sun-block :wink: ).
Izzy well chuffed with her little butterflies
Izzy well chuffed with her little butterflies
F 2014.07.23 IMG_5003 Canary Blues on Izzy's hand, Teide National Park t.jpg
G 2014.07.23 IMG_5008 Canary Blue, back on the shoe, Teide National Park t.jpg
H 2014.07.23 IMG_5011 Canary Blue, back on the shoe, Teide National Park t.jpg
I 2014.07.23 IMG_5027 Perched on her finger, Canary Blues, Teide National Park t.jpg
J 2014.07.23 IMG_5042 Eating out of the palm of my hand, Canary Blue, Teide National Park t.jpg
K 2014.07.23 IMG_5032 Band of Brothers Canary Blues, Teide National Park t.jpg
Eventually we had to leave but couldn’t get rid of the butterflies :shock: . It was like a scene from the Hitchcock movie The Birds. In the end we beat them off, jumped in the car, wound up the windows and got the hell out. :oops: :lol:
On the way back I took a different route back following the TF-38 through a black lava field (the road though well surfaced (as they generally all are in Tenerife :!: ) is narrow and leaves no room for driver error) on to Samara (a former vent in the Teide complex) where these pictures were taken from. The red car is ours and at the place I thought I might’ve seen the Small Copper in 2011.
View of picos Viejo (foreground) and the higher pico Teide in the background
View of picos Viejo (foreground) and the higher pico Teide in the background
View from the peak of Samara
View from the peak of Samara
N 2014.07.23 IMG_5105 Hardy conifers and scrub on slopes, Samara, Las Canadas del Teide m.jpg
Back home and the next day it was down a the Hot-spot :) A pair of Small Whites were circling around and also there was an African Grass Blue (male) which was in good condition. Unfortunately my pictures didn’t turn out as well as I would’ve liked, most of them being bleached and out of focus to varying degrees and requiring considerable rework in Canon zoom browser :(
O 2014.07.24 IMG_5195 Small White. butterfly hunting area, at back of resort, CdS t.jpg
P 2014.07.24 IMG_5205 African Grass blue. butterfly hunting area, at back of resort, CdS i t.jpg
Q 2014.07.24 IMG_5216 Bath white. butterfly hunting area, at back of resort, CdS t.jpg
R 2014.07.24 IMG_5224 African Grass blue. butterfly hunting area, at back of resort, CdS i t 2.jpg
S 2014.07.24 IMG_5229 African Grass blue. butterfly hunting area, at back of resort, CdS i t.jpg
'surreal setting' for the common or garden Small White
'surreal setting' for the common or garden Small White
Tiny Bee
Tiny Bee
V 2014.07.24 IMG_5259 Geranium Bronze. butterfly hunting area, at back of resort, CdS b t 2_1.jpg
Also seen in 2011 was this well marked white banded digger bee. Difficult to get a decent photo though :|
The bee would climb right into the opuntia flowers
The bee would climb right into the opuntia flowers
X 2014.07.24 IMG_5274 Amegilla quadrifasciata White-banded digger bee. BHA, back of resort, CdS b t 02.jpg
A lot of time was spent trying to get this fabulous little wasp :D which from its movements amongst the opuntias suggested it was searching for prey.
Can anyone I.D this?
Can anyone I.D this?
Z 2014.07.24 IMG_5286 Hunting wasp, butterfly hunting area, back of resort, Costa del Silencio b t.jpg
ZA 2014.07.24 IMG_5293 Bath White, butterfly hunting area, back of resort, Costa del Silencio t.jpg
ZB 2014.07.24 IMG_5301 Bath White, butterfly hunting area, back of resort, Costa del Silencio b t.jpg
So ended our last full day at Club Marina and searching at my little hot spot. The next morning it was up-stick and a move over to golf del sur ...great for spotting airliners coming into Tenerife South airport 8) :?

Phil
Charles Nicol

Re: Holiday to Tenerife part 3

Post by Charles Nicol »

another very enjoyable read. lovely pics of the butterflies interacting with humans :P

Charles

8) 8)
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks Charles :) It's nice to have them coming to you for a change :lol:
Last edited by Philzoid on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another great post Philzoid :D That lizard looks like something from Komodo :shock: and I wouldn't have expected those blue spots on it's belly. The Canary Blues are getting better each time I see them :mrgreen: Keep the posts coming :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes, wonderful pictures. On my only trip to the Canaries (La Palma), when I was still using a 35mm SLR, I found the Canary blues to be almost impossible to photograph - incredibly restless and wary in the heat of the day. To see them so docile and domestic is amazing. I must go back.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Are these Lycaenids naturally tame (like Brown Hairstreaks) or did you just 'get them' when conditions were ripe?
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Thanks for the kind comments chaps :D .

Up until this holiday i had to agree with you Guy :o . I had a lot of difficulty in getting anywhere near the Canary Blues in 2011.

I should have a better idea on whether they are naturally tame or whether I was just lucky when I next go there again (hopefully) next year. I suspect the altitude and scarcity of water played a part. If butterflies need certain 'basics' they seem to be oblivious to 'potential danger'. This butterfly behaviour reminds me of is the Purple Emepror in so much as you can turn up at the right place in the (supposed) best conditions and they won't go near you :( . But the number of walkers I've met who without 'trying' have had one land on them :? :mrgreen: . Close encounters: elusive or common :? This PE experience has not happened for me yet :(
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Padfield wrote:Yes, wonderful pictures. On my only trip to the Canaries (La Palma), when I was still using a 35mm SLR, I found the Canary blues to be almost impossible to photograph - incredibly restless and wary in the heat of the day. To see them so docile and domestic is amazing. I must go back.

Guy
"Nivea factor 50 sun-block". Check. :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Must be it :lol:

Return to “General”