Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by downland boy »

The last time I visited East Blean to see the Heath Fritillary was in 2012 when I was fortunate to arrive at a time when there were several freshly emerged specimens resting low in the grass and cow-wheat. This photo of a male was one of my favourites of that day.
Attachments
Heath Fritillary (m) 14.6.12 East Blean Woods, Kent. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

It is always a day out to see the Heath Fritillary, either to Kent or Essex, the latter being a bit nearer though still half way around the M25... I chose slightly different spot this time, though still in the same complex of woods south of Rayleigh - Little Haven. The day was perfect, but I only saw a dozen or so butterflies (I'm told there were hundreds last year, but this a species known for wide fluctuations).
Here are a couple from the warm sunshine of 6th June.
HF3 100614.JPG
HF10 100614.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

I finally ventured to Haddon Hill on 14th June and managed to see about 15 examples of this rare British species on home soil:
1HFmaleupp(1).jpg
1Heathpair(1).jpg
1HFdefund(1).jpg
As ever, a trip to France saw me encounter thousands, this heavily marked individual being the pick:
000Heathdark(1).jpg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

In France, ski runs in their summer attire attract many butterflies. This Heath Fritillary was seen in the Massif Central in July.
athalia2_15 female Liouran Cantal 14 July 2014 (6).JPG
athalia2_15 female Liouran Cantal 14 July 2014 (3a).JPG
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My Favourite photo's are taken in East Blean Woods, I was amazed when I got there because usually there are loads of them, this year was very poor , they could have come out much earlier I suppose but I ended up with photo's of just one Butterfly, that's all I saw there, Photo's taken 14th July Goldie :D
Attachments
Heath Frit EBW 14th July 2014 IMG_6907.JPG
Heath Frit EBW 14th July 2014 IMG_6905.JPG
Heath Frit EBW 14th July 2014 IMG_6901.JPG

Return to “Heath Fritillary”