Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Padfield »

I know for a fact that purple emperors come to discarded nappies, because I've seen it in a layby in Spain... Maybe you can add a new flavour to your famous mixture, Neil. :D

Guy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:I know for a fact that purple emperors come to discarded nappies, because I've seen it in a layby in Spain... Maybe you can add a new flavour to your famous mixture, Neil. :D
Thank God I've just had my dinner.

Shame on you, Guy! :)

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Guy, I'm sure it will come as no surprise that this topic has been aired at some length in our household. I suspect the meconium would be particularly attractive to HIM, but Hannah refuses to let me retain these things for 8 months. It's a shame - she's usually very reasonable! :D
BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I think I'll stick to the Peanut Butter :lol: Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The 2014 Butterfly Season In Pictures (April & May)

Prompted by a request from Trevor, and with time on my hands as I'm still housebound, here is the first instalment of some of my favourite butterfly images of 2014. They appear in the sequence they were taken.
2014 Review Brimstone, Heyshott.jpg
Brimstone
2014 Review Small Tortoiseshell, Ferring Rife.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell
2014 Review PBF cat.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary caterpillar
2014 Review Orange Tip, Angmering Park.jpg
Orange Tip
2014 Review Dingy Skipper, Mill Hill.jpg
Dingy Skipper
2014 Review Grizzled Skipper, Heyshott.jpg
Grizzled Skipper
2014 Review Emperor Moth, Springhead Hill.jpg
Emperor Moth
2014 Review PBF2 Rewell Wood.jpg
Pearl-bordered Fritillary
2014 Review DoB Heyshott.jpg
Duke of Burgundy

David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful images, Neil.

Where did you see the Emperor moth?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. This was at Springhead Hill near Storrington, West Sussex. The full account appears at the base of page viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4065&start=1560
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The 2014 Butterfly Season In Pictures (June)
2014 Review Green Hairstreak, Heyshott.jpg
Green Hairstreak
2014 Review European Swallowtail, Chichester.jpg
European Swallowtail
2014 Review Small Heath, Springhead Hill.jpg
Small Heath
2014 Review Silver-studded Blue, Iping Common.jpg
Silver-studded Blue
2014 Review Black Hairstreak, M40 Comp Area.jpg
Black Hairstreak
2014 Review Large Blue, Collard Hill.jpg
Large Blue
2014 Review High Brown Fritillary, Heddon's Mouth.jpg
High Brown Fritillary
2014 Review Marbled White, Rewell Wood.jpg
Marbled White
2014 Review Dark Green Fritillary, Fairmile Bottom.jpg
Dark Green Fritillary
2014 Review Silver-washed Fritillary, Fairmile Bottom.jpg
Silver-washed Fritillary

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

For goodness sake Neil. Stop p***ing us off with your photos :x

Absolutely superb and most of us are simply jealous.

How's the book coming along?

Jack

peterc

Post by peterc »

Some fantastic photos there Neil. Taken with your Lumix camera?

Peter

John W

Post by John W »

I have to say that I agree with Jack :lol:

I had the same camera as Neil, a Lumix FZ38, and occasionally I would take a photo that's nearly as good as one of Neil's. Most were a lot worse. :( It's not just the camera but who's pointing it that counts. I just don't often find butterflies sitting in the right position to get those uncluttered backgrounds. Neil does because he puts in the hours and has the field craft to take advantage of the opportunities when he finds them. Plus he must have really steady hands to get photos that sharp!

Cheers
John

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Jack, Peter and John - thanks for your comments.

Jack: Progress on my own project has been slowed by the expanding family and my input into another book - the Sussex Butterfly Atlas will have to take priority.

Peter: Yes, all taken with the Lumix FZ38. I started photography with the Lumix FZ7 in 2007, then upgraded to the FZ38 early in 2010, used together with the Panasonic close-up lens. I've not been tempted to change this set-up yet, as it does exactly what I want of it.

BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The 2014 Butterfly Season In Pictures (July)
2014 Review Purple Emperor, Fermyn.jpg
Purple Emperor
2014 Review Six-spot Burnet, Cissbury Ring.jpg
Six-spot Burnet
2014 Review Gatekeeper Knepp Castle Estate.jpg
Gatekeeper
2014 Review Red Admiral, Houghton Forest.jpg
Red Admiral
2014 Review Chalk Hill Blue, Springhead Hill.jpg
Chalk Hill Blue
2014 Review Essex Skipper, Knepp Castle Estate.jpg
Essex Skipper
2014 Review Common Blue, Knepp Castle Estate.jpg
Common Blue
2014 Review Wood Whites, Botany Bay.jpg
Wood Whites
2014 Review Grayling, Wilmington.jpg
Grayling

peterc

Post by peterc »

John W, I take your point - it's not just the equipment but also the skill and experience of the photographer. I have some way to go to reach Neil's level and I only started taking butterfly photography seriously this year.

Neil, I had also wondered if you had used a close up lens as well because your images are pretty sharp!

Peter

William

Post by William »

How have I missed these - superb stuff Neil, favourites would be the Hairstreaks, Dark Green Fritillary and Grayling!

BWs

William

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The 2014 Butterfly Season In Pictures (August & September)
2014 Review Privet Hawkmoth caterpillar, Mill Hill.jpg
Privet Hawkmoth caterpillar
2014 Review Adonis Blue, Mill Hill.jpg
Adonis Blue
2014 Review Brown Hairstreak, Steyning Round Hill.jpg
Brown Hairstreak
2014 Review Map, Swanage.jpg
Map
2014 Review Small Copper, Cissbury Ring.jpg
Small Copper
2014 Review Wall, Mill Hill.jpg
Wall

Looking back on it, 2014 will go down as a good season, at least by modern standards. Although it didn't quite eclipse the fireworks of 2013, there were certainly some very exciting moments. It's always nice when exotic visitors grace our shores, but we shouldn't forget that many endemic species continue to decline. At least locally, several species still have to pick themselves up off the floor, following the nightmare of 2012. After two great seasons for vagrants and rare migrants I would rather see some of our own species rally in 2015, if I had to choose between the two, so I'd be more than happy with a more run-of-the-mill season, with a lot more White Admirals and Small Blues.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks William. A few more to round off a generally good season.
BWs, Neil

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Neil,
I wish you had fed us your 2014 selection a little more slowly, mental indigestion is my problem!!.
Especially as there are species I have never seen. You have put in the effort and reaped the reward.
Luck was also on your side with the Swallowtail[s] and the Map must have been a real experience.
Think i'll fit a tracker to your car!. :mrgreen: :D
Hope you are on the mend.
TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree with every one Neil, your photo's are fantastic :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Goldie! :D
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”