What is this butterfly?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Robv86

What is this butterfly?

Post by Robv86 »

A butterfly flew under my reclining sofa in the summer now my sofa is falling to bits underneath and every so often the odd orange and black butterfly is found in the room when no windows or doors have be open! Anyone know what this butterfly is?
Attachments
image.jpg
Nick Broomer

Re: What is this butterfly?

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Rob,

Its a Small Tortoiseshell.
David M

Post by David M »

It is indeed a Small Tortoiseshell and it needs to escape from the warm confines of your home as soon as possible!

Unless you have an unheated outhouse/shed I'd recommend liberating it mid-morning on a sunny day.
Robv86

Post by Robv86 »

I have released the 3 that he I have found (including the 1 that originally flew in) im just wondering if that is why my sofa is damaged and will I find any more?
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Hi Rob,
Don't worry - the caterpillars of this butterfly eat stinging nettles (no UK butterfly caterpillar will eat your furniture :) )
The butterflies look for somewhere to overwinter and better choices would include an old shed or within a crevice on a dead tree, but they will come into houses. Unfortunately, if they get too warm in the winter and fly about inside a house, they will use up the last of their stored energy, dry out and die so hopefully your releases will find somewhere more suitable for their winter slumber.

Trev

Return to “Identification”