Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I very much appreciate your "get well soon" messages, so I'd like to say a big "thank you" to Pete, Mark, Mike, Vince, Neil, Trevor, Lee, David, Dave, Susie and those who have sent PMs or emails. It's the first time I've ever been completely immobilised for ten days. I never realised how debilitating pneumonia can be.

I'm definitely much better today and will even try to get outside for an hour or two. Isolation from the countryside has been a most unpleasant side-effect.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I've just seen this Neil, Cathy and me both wish you a very speedy recovery

Mike

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I thank God no Monarchs were seen in Sussex during your recuperation, Neil, for I fear you'd have risked your mortal well being! :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up Neil - so a belated get well soon.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Think on the bright side Neil. You might have got this irritating illness at the START of the butterfly season. Now that would have been far more annoying. At least it will be behind you by the time 2015 kicks off.

Hope to see you again in that splendid Billingshurst meadow next April.

Meanwhile, keep that sick-bed butterfly list up to date!

Jack

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

So sorry Neil to hear you've been ill, but I second Jack it could have been at the beginning of the season not the end :D Goldie :D

Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Hope you are feeling better soon Neil

Rosalyn & Phil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Oh Deer

I really appreciate the further "get well soon" messages I've received over the last few days, so I'd like to say "thank you" to Mike and Cathy, David, Wurzel, Jack, Goldie, Rosalyn and Phil, and others who have emailed me.

I did get out for a few hours last Wednesday (22nd October), and very much enjoyed the sights and sounds of the Fallow rut at Petworth Park, which is now at peak. Unfortunately this proved rather ambitious and I relapsed quite rapidly. This time around I'll be taking things a little slower, but hopefully it will be 'business as usual' quite soon. Even more irresponsible is the Red Admiral flying around my back garden while it's tipping down!
UKB Petworth Fallow Buck 1 22.10.14.jpg
UKB Petworth Fallow Buck 2 22.10.14.jpg
UKB Petworth Fallow Bucks 22.10.14.jpg
UKB Petworth Fallow Buck 3 22.10.14.jpg

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI,Neil
Hope you are on the mend,but the word "relapsed" is not good!.
Referring to that Wall Brown image that everyone,including myself,raved about I was wondering what other gems you
may have in your portfolio that you might consider to be even superior to that image. Would you care to share your
all time top ten with us!. As the clocks go back tonight I for one could do with cheering up.
Speedy recovery,
TREVOR.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Neil
Glad you are on the mend :D
Seeing you pictures of the fallow deer at Petworth brought back very fond memories. Ever year I went on an adventure with my grandparents and cousins by train and bus from Portsmouth to see the Fallow and hunt for discarded antlers. Always longed to fish in the lake but never had a chance but had a great collection of antlers in my bedroom - much to my mums disgust - including a seven pointer if I remember rightly. Thanks for the reminder :D
Kind Regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Trevor and Mark - thanks for your messages. I managed to get outside today, but made sure I didn't have to walk more than 50 m to find my target species!
Trevor: Life is running a month behind schedule after such a long period of inactivity, but I'll try to finish off my photo summary of 2014 highlights. That should contain some of my all-time top ten.
Mark: I'm pleased my account of Petworth rekindled happy memories. I used to fish another of the lakes within the park, bagging up on some nice Tench in the summer, and Pike to a shade under 25 lbs in the winter.

Red-breasted Flycatcher

This morning (27th October) I visited Beachy Head, where a very pretty Red-breasted Flycatcher has been drawing crowds for a few days now. While driving across the Cuckmere Valley approximately a dozen Red Admirals crossed the road in front of me, all heading south in a determined manner. While waiting for the RBF to show, I watched another 3 Red Admirals and 2 Painted Ladies hurrying along in the same direction. Other butterflies seen included 2 Clouded Yellows (1 helice) and a Wall. As I arrived back home in Worthing another helice flew across my front garden.
UKB RBF Beachy 2 27.10.14.jpg
UKB RBF Beachy 1 27.10.14.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking report Neil - it seems that you well and truly made up for your time languishing :D :mrgreen: The only time I've ever seen a Red-breasted Flycatcher was in Poland but after my first White-backed Woodpecker and European Lynx it fell down the pecking order of most memorable species of the day :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Wurzel. Yes, Lynx trumps most stuff.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Big Bucks

Today (28th October) I met up with Colin Knight, to pay another visit to the Petworth Park Fallow rut. Although the light was perfect, and the park looked magnificent in its autumn colours, I was initially worried that I'd dragged Colin along under false pretenses; there was a distinct lack of activity and none of the belching and groaning that filled the air during my last visit. However, by mid morning things started to hot up and we were treated to some spectacular battles between some of the larger bucks.

The serious nature of these conflicts became all too apparent when we came across an old warrior with a broken leg. Although he seemed to be managing on three, at least for now, I suspect the rangers will be quick to alleviate any suffering. The rut may be nearing its end this year, hence the slow start today, but it's still well worth a visit if you can get there in the next week.

We did see a few butterflies, including 3 Red Admiral and single Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.
SDNPF Fallow Buck 1, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Fallow Buck 2, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Fallow Buck 3, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Fallow Buck 4, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Fallow Buck 5, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Fallow Buck 6, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Fallow Buck 7, Petworth, 28.10.14.jpg
SDNPF Petworth Park 28.10.14.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

I was there on Tuesday too with my girls. Couldn't get near the deer because I had the hound with me but we could hear the clash of the deer from a fair distance. Cracking stuff and great to see your photos.

David M

Post by David M »

Good to see you're up and about, Neil.

Lovely shots of the deer.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

An Aurelian Born

I'm pleased and very proud to announce the birth of Jacob Marcus Hulme on 30th October. Although five weeks early he weighed a respectable 6lbs and was allowed home on Halloween. His homecoming was marked by the appearance of 4 Red Admiral, 1 Holly Blue, 1 Painted Lady, and 1 Comma in our Worthing back garden, the latter two species making their first appearances here this year. The Red Admiral and Comma were still visiting the Fatsia japonica and ivy flowers today (1st November).
UKB Jacob Marcus Hulme.jpg
UKB Red Admiral, Worthing garden 1.11.14.jpg

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Many congratulations, Neil :D
I hope Hannah and Jacob are both well. Also great news for Mia, who now has a little brother to boss around.

Best wishes,
Vince

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Well done Neil (but it isn't all that difficult :))

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:

I'm pleased and very proud to announce the birth of Jacob Marcus Hulme on 30th October. Although five weeks early he weighed a respectable 6lbs and was allowed home on Halloween. His homecoming was marked by the appearance of 4 Red Admiral, 1 Holly Blue, 1 Painted Lady, and 1 Comma in our Worthing back garden.....
Legendary quotation!

Congratulations.

Return to “Personal Diaries”