Kev Ling

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Kev Ling

Post by kevling »

With September well and truly upon us, I'm trying to get my butterfly fix as often as possible and what better place to look than the trusty Buddleia, providing some much needed nectar for all.

The most surprising species to be found was this Grayling. I have never seen one on Buddleia before.
Hollesley.JPG
The more usual suspects were making good use of the buddleias in my garden too.
Comma - buddleia.JPG
Red Admiral - Buddleia.jpg
Garden.JPG
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

kevling wrote:
The most surprising species to be found was this Grayling. I have never seen one on Buddleia before.
They love it, Kev. Probably more than any other UK satyrid. There are always plenty knocking about the copious buddleia blooms at Mumbles Head in Swansea.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Having had a Red Admiral lay several eggs on a pot of nettles in my garden, I was rather dissapointed to return from holiday with no evidence of any larvae or even pupa. I had seen a couple of caterpillars before I left (rather fortuitous given the amount of time they seemed to spend in their larval tent), but there were still a number of unhatched eggs.
I'm aware that predation by birds is a likely cause, but what I did find when examing the larval tents were a number of earwigs. Could thye have been responsible too? They do feed on other insects, but I have'nt heard about them attacking eggs/larvae. I would be interested to know if they are the likely villans.

Kind Regards Kev

peterc

Post by peterc »

Hi Kev,

Possibly as I read somewhere that earwigs eat Brown Hairstreak eggs.

All the best

Peter

kevling

Post by kevling »

I am watching with interest, the Large White larvae on my Nasturtiums. They are situated at the front of my house and slowly, one by one the caterpillars are scaling the front wall and heading for the facia boards to pupate.
However the first two or three seem to have perished before getting a chance to pupate. They do not look as though they have parasites, but have turned a dark brown colour and died.

My question is, what is happening to them?

I am concious that it is late in the season and the temperature has dropped somewhat this week, but does that effect their ability to pupate?
I don't neccesarily believe in trying to change the cause of nature and whilst seeing them perish isn't pleasant, that is the way of things. But I was considering getting my rearing cage out and giving them a sporting chance away from the rigours of the Great British weather (particularly as I still have some 2nd instars). It would be interesting to hear if I am being to hasty.

Regards Kev

David M

Post by David M »

I noticed a similar phenomenon with the Large White larvae on my neighbour's cabbages a few weeks ago. Several ended up on my wall (and two chose the outside of my kitchen window to become static). Sadly, both these latter two had been beset by parasites and I still have a 'smudge' which represents what's left of their corpses after the parasitoids had emerged.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks David, I'll examine my corpses and see if anything has emerged. Hopefully a few will make it unscathed.

Regards Kev

kevling

Post by kevling »

My Large White larvae continue to make good progress, despite November arriving. They have been feasting on Nasturtiums at the front of my house. I planted them against the wall, so when ready, the caterpillars might scale the front of the house in order to find a suitable place to pupate.
I have not been dissapointed, with a number having already pupated. Unfortunately, not many within easy photographic position.

Firstly I'll share a montage of them from eggs to final instar larvae.
1.JPG
2.JPG
Early and later instar together
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Preparing it's journey to pupate, this individual spent the day looking in through the landing window. An interesting angle to photograph.
6.JPG
Safety harness attached. Just a matter of time now.
7.JPG
Directly outside my bedroom window, this second chrysalis was found, blending in well with the brickwork.
8.JPG
An added bonus was a Small White chrysalis. This one pupated within the window mechanism. Thankfully, it is perfectly located. As you can see, it's based is perilously close to the cut off point of the window hinge. I just hope he doesn't want to hatch when the window is closed.
9.JPG
Regards Kev

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots of Large White early instar larvae kev, how many made it to the pupal stage? Not many of 'ours' did :(

kevling

Post by kevling »

Amazingly in early December there is still a Large White caterpillar slowly munching on what remains of my Nasturtiums. I have to say he has been at it for weeks now but is still alive. His only other companion has now scaled the front of the house in the last week to try and pupate, but as yet unable to do so.
LW1.JPG
Here is the last one to successfully tuck itself away for the winter.
LW.JPG
There are now several chrysalis outside my upstairs windows. It will be nice to observe them over the winter months, dreaming of the spring when we will once more see the skies full of Butterflies.

Regards Kev

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Kev,
The coincidence of Purple Emperor and Wood White is a tricky one!. If the Emperor is early it is possible to catch
the tail end of the spring brood Wood Whites. This year as the Emperor took to the trees into July, the first summer
brood Wood Whites began to appear. Two trips would add more certainty and more chance of success.
Hope this is of help!.

TREVOR.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Well 2014 is drawing to a close and it's time for a few personal highlights.
My planned trips from Suffolk to the west of England coincided with poor weather during spring and early summer. As a result, a number of personal firsts failed to materialize, namely Marsh Fritillary and Duke Of Burgundy.
However my first sighting of Glanville Fritillary and White Letter Hairstreak more than made up for that.
GF.jpg
WLH.jpg
But 2014 brought me much closer to Hesperiidae. A success story being the councils management of our local park. Large percentages of grass have been allowed to grow with footpaths cut through for access. As a result numbers of Small/Essex and Large Skipper have increased dramatically. This photo of a large skipper was one of my favorites of the year.
Large Skipper.jpg
My mission this year was to 'Garden for Butterflies'. I do not have a large garden, but with careful plant selection, we encouraged them in. Another favorite of mine was this Comma.
Comma.jpg
Previous postings in my diary document the success I had with early stage observations at home, but I was particular excited to see my first skipper in the garden. Being an urban garden, we haven't had any before, but I allowed a 2 metre diameter of grass to grow to knee height in the hope of encouraging insects in general. To my surprise one day, a Small Skipper arrived and was seen regularly after that. One day he even investigated my butterfly feeder (see below)
Small Skipper.jpg
As for 2015, I have a number of species on my 'first' list. These being Marsh Frit, Duke Of Burgundy & Wood White. An audience with his Imperial Majesty will also be a priority too.

So for 2014, a Merry Christmas to all UK Butterfly members and fingers crossed for a great year ahead.

Regards Kev

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good luck with your 2015 targets, looks like you and me have similar plans for the new year! Fingers crossed for good weather.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some great highlights Kev especially the Comma - it really stands out from the florets. Good luck with your 2015 targets. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great pics kev, very jealous of your Glanville and White Letter pics. Interesting that both yours and mine Purple hairstreak open wing pics are old looking females, maybe at that age they just cant be arsed to keep their wings closed lol!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks Bugboy. Yes the Purple Hairstreak did seem set on relaxing. Perhaps it had been a long summer for it. :lol:

kevling

Post by kevling »

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :D

With another year gone, I thought I would post a retrospective look at some of my favorite images, whilst awaiting the spring of 2015. Like everyone, I sincerely hope that the weather does it's thing at the right time, so we can all catch up with those elusive species that have so far passed us by. For me 2015 has just got to be my year for Marshies & Dukes (fingers crossed I can find them).
Going back to the spring of 2014, here are some Orange Tips.
Orange Tip 1.jpg
Orange tip 2.jpg
Orange Tip 3.jpg
A relatively new species for me is the Heath Fritillary. It is such a wonderful butterfly, I just wish they were more widespread. These were taken just outside Southend.
Heath Frit 1.jpg
Heath Frit 2.jpg
Heath Frit 3.jpg
Kind Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

My first Pearl Bordered Fritillary was well worth the wait. Seen on a lovely spring day at Eyarth Rocks in Wales. I must say it was quite a hike to get on to the plateau where the nature reserve is, but the views are well worth it. Numbers were very low, but it was with great excitement that this one stopped on the path in front of me.

PBF at Eyarth Rocks Butterfly Reserve
PBF 1.jpg
A view looking across the reserve (proof that the sun does shine in North Wales).
Eyarth Rocks.JPG
Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Heaths and Pearls Kev :D I can't get over how different the Pearl's havbitat looks from the one I'm used to at Bentley Wood.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks Wurzel. I haven't been to Bentley Wood (yet!), but looking at your reports over time it sounds a cracking loaction. To get up to Eyarth Rocks we went through some very dense woodland, so much so that it might have been more luck than judgement that we made it on top. I had been expecting to see some Pearls near the trees as opposed to the exposed plateau.

Kev

Return to “Personal Diaries”