Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pauline wrote:we all know the perils faced by cats in the wild Pete so it is disappointing that you seem to think I can't do better than those odds especially with the help and support of the UKbutts members.
Because you said that you were out of your depth - simple as that.

- Pete

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi Pauline

The links below (first page of my diary) are of two White Admiral Larvae from earlier this year (May), as you will see both are at different stages and both obviously made it through the wet windy winter OK, I would just make sure the Plant with its larvae are somewhere out of the worst of the weather and let them take there chances it is after all what evolution has made them to tolerate and they see a lot worse weather on the continent than they do here.

download/file.php?id=48182&mode=view
download/file.php?id=48183&mode=view

Cheers

Andy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am so often out of my depth Pete - when I have to inject fluids hourly into a dehydrated rabbit, sort out a prolapsed hen, give pain relief injections to foxes, trim a parrots beak, tube feed a tortoise etc, etc..... and when I'm faced with a hibernaculum that has collapsed :roll: :shock: . However, I always carry on and try to do my best to give each critter a better chance than it would otherwise have had - and that goes for the WA cat. I can understand now why he was up and about in that dreadful storm as presumably he had no-where else to go. The other hibernaculum still seems to be intact and I am hoping the other cat is still in there. It is STILL raining here and to try to buy the cat some time to sort himself out I have brought the pot indoors temporarily. He appears to be making no attempt at any reconstruction of a shelter and my lack of knowledge hampers my decision making. Will he survive the winter without a shelter? How long can the plant survive indoors? Lots of questions. I am being largely guided by Guy's sound logic coupled with his observation of the wild cats so I will do my best, use my judgement and hope all turns out well.

In between the heavy showers today I managed to squeeze in another brief photo session. Many of the shots are similar, some boringly so, but I shall include them anyway as there are subtle differences. Unlike the Hairstreaks, the LTB seem happy to nectar on a variety of garden plants - which is just as well as the Everlasting Pea is now long gone!
P1450096ad.jpg
P1450101bd.jpg
P1450107ad.jpg
P1450151ad.jpg
P1450198ad.jpg
P1450203ad.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Pauline take care, hope things pan out :)

Mike

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline

I was just enjoying your Long Tailed Blues :D Reminding me of the enjoyable times we all had with this species almost exactly a year ago :D

I am certainly no expert with regards to White Admiral larvae but my opinion, for what it is worth, is that you should leave them outside and let nature take its course. In my general experience what sometimes looks, from a human perspective, like larval/pupal problems will often sort itself out without human intervention :D They more often than not seem to do better with as little human interference as possible.

Good luck :D

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

If you intend to keep hold of the WA cats, then all I can suggest is that you keep them outside, in the shade, with some shelter from any torrential rainstorm. When I've found eggs in the wild, they've always been on honeysuckle that is under some protective covering, whether this is a tree canopy, a large bush etc.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:I am so often out of my depth Pete - when I have to inject fluids hourly into a dehydrated rabbit, sort out a prolapsed hen, give pain relief injections to foxes, trim a parrots beak, tube feed a tortoise etc, etc..... and when I'm faced with a hibernaculum that has collapsed :roll: :shock: . However, I always carry on and try to do my best to give each critter a better chance than it would otherwise have had - and that goes for the WA cat.
I've read all this in isolation but to see the collective in a single paragraph just makes me so grateful that there are people like yourself out there that are SO devoted to the well-being of an entire plethora of creatures.

You have my total respect.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More fantastic LTBs Pauline - the one in the yellow flower is brill :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the advice Andy - and great photos as usual :mrgreen:

I have taken your advice Pete (as always) and the pot is now outside, under cover, in protective mesh cage. My concern now is, I know for a fact that there are snails/slugs eggs in the soil that I failed to remove so I am effectively locking the cat in with its predators :( . The PH cats come to mind - you will recall it was slugs getting them at night. At that time Vince's advice was to isolate the plant but I am not sure how to do that. The sleeve I have is way too large and there are numerous stems of honeysuckle growing across the whole of the pot - I need a demo video :lol: . As a temporary measure I have used cling film to wrap round the pot and over the soil carefully weaving it between the stems but I am not sure how/if that will affect the plant. Alternatively, perhaps someone could suggest a means of safely destroying these eggs without harming plant or cat? Incidentally, slugs are having a great year, even coming into the house :( . Yesterday I removed in excess of 50 from my potting shed :shock:

I'm glad you are enjoying the LTB shots Paul as I am about to post a few more :wink: Thank you for your advice which seems to be the general consensus.

That's really kind of you Mike. You've seen how it is here :roll: The good news is I am back in my own bed (just getting up a few times to check on them) AND I have hot water :D :D . Life is looking good. How long either of those situations continue remains to be seen :lol: Don't forget, if you and Cathy are passing .......

Wow! That has got to be one of the best comments I have ever received David :D :oops: I'm thinking of printing it out and pinning it up in the kitchen so I can read it when things get bleak. Thank you so much.

Thank you Wurzel - the flower is a nasturtium. Please tell me when you are getting bored Wurzel as the LTB are all I have to post at the moment. Hope you like these ones. A big thank you to Nick L who kindly brought the flowers as mine have died back.
P1440862ad.jpg
P1440874ad.jpg
P1440887ad.jpg
P1440901ad.jpg
P1440881ad.jpg
P1440891ad.jpg
P1440866ad.jpg
P1440878ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

You could try copper slug tape - e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slugit%C2%AE-co ... B001DRJNSY - wrapped around the pot, where they would need to climb up.

From reviews it works for some people but not others. I do use it myself. but for electrical purposes not slugs. The description on Amazon about static charge playing some role is rubbish, since copper is a good conductor and cannot hold a charge.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You sound like you've taken a lot onto yourself Pauline, don't let it get you down , you can only do your best with the animals and butterflies I just wish I'd your patience , all the best and hope the animals are doing ok Goldie :D
PS I go out when it's dark at night that seems to be the way to catch slugs and snails and give them a taste of salt they soon melt a way :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I can't get enough of these LTBs as I've never seen one - wasn't in the know last year until too late :( The open wing shots are fantastic showing the black eyes :D Keep em coming...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for the suggestion Mike - I shall give it a try.

Please don't worry about me Goldie - I am used to dealing with all this stuff. I have appreciated all your comments this season but I am kidding myself if I imagine I have the time to keep my diary going :(

I am so sorry you didn't get to see these these lovely butterflies in the wild Wurzel but I shall end my diary for this season with a few more images of them - just for you :D
P1450210ad.jpg
P1450221ad.jpg
P1450234ad.jpg
P1450238ad.jpg
P1450250ad.jpg
P1450256ad.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

An excellent finale to the season, Pauline. All the best with your Winter activities.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photographs Pauline, good luck with the animals do let us know if the Rabbit and Fox's are ok, we'll miss you Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Pauline they were cracking too :D See you at the Social hopefully :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Glad things are not too bad Pauline and hope that all works out really well :D The animals in your care are lucky to have you :D If we are in your area we will call in.

Mike and Cathy x

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some lovely series of photos to end the season with Pauline :D

I hope everything goes well for you and all in your care.

All the best,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much guys. It has been a hectic Winter but I have managed to keep in touch from time to time with a few of my favourite diaries. One of these is Guy's diary and when he commented on White Admiral larva in March I thought perhaps I had better check my Honeysuckle plant. I didn't have high hopes of finding anything - in fact, I didn't have any hope. The plant had been largely discarded following the problems at the end of last season - storms and slugs to name a couple. I had become convinced that my cats were doomed and had accepted that Pete was right - they would have been better off in the wild.It was April 1st when I looked and I was stunned to discover one of the cats had survived. It was still really tiny -only about 3mm and so well camouflaged:
P1450682ad.jpg
The nurturing instincts kicked in and I immediately wanted to 'protect' it but hey, it had survived the Winter all by itself. Trouble is, the slugs were still a problem and now that it was visible the birds were beginning to take an interest, in particular an inquisitive Robin. If I put it in a mesh cage then I would be shutting it in with the slugs but I was given advice to put a lettuce leaf in the cage. This worked a treat as 8 slugs emerged from the potted Honeysuckle and were removed on the lettuce. Over the next week or so the second cat became visible and at the moment I am pleased to report that both are doing well.
P1450744ad.jpg
P1450746ad.jpg
P1450793ad.jpg
P1450797ad.jpg
I have already learned such a lot about the White Admiral from this and I hope I shall learn more as the cats develop.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Good to hear from you again, Pauline - and I'm delighted your white admiral cats have made it through the winter! I was wondering what had become of them ...

Guy

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”