Buchan Boy

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Buchan Boy

Re: Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Dave,this cool mid-August period changed my photography priorities,I'd normally leave the Orthoptera a bit longer........

Also,thats the cleanest Red Admiral I've seen this year,seem pretty sparse round these parts in 2014.

Tuesday 19th August 2014

Drove over to Ashdown again to continue my search for the Mottled Grasshoppers,shame really,up until the late 70's I had colonies on St Leonards,but after many a fruitless search I've not located any there,so at present my nearest colonies of Bog Bush Crickets and Mottled Grasshoppers are about 15 miles east of Crawley.

Back on Hindleap to photograph a Female Bog Bush Cricket,I still haven't found the Mottled's here.
Hindleap,Ashdown Bog Bush Cricket Female
Hindleap,Ashdown Bog Bush Cricket Female
Moved onto the Sussex Wildlife Trust reserve,Old Lodge, to get my fill of Mottleds.
Ashdown from Old Lodge
Ashdown from Old Lodge
Mottled Grasshoppers are tiny,the males are even tinier(er,is that a word!).
The males have the clubbed antenna,much like Rufous but no white tips and are smaller.....the females just have thickened tips to the antenna,also they are my favourite grasshopper,just because the colourings are infinite.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Male,greenish form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Male,greenish form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Female,greenish form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Female,greenish form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Male,brownishred form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Male,brownishred form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Female,brownishred form.
Ashdown,Old Lodge Mottled Grasshopper Female,brownishred form.
Small Heath...a few around when the sun came out.
Ashdown,Old Lodge, Small Heath
Ashdown,Old Lodge, Small Heath
Hopefully get on the Downs in the next few days.

Thanks

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Wednesday 20th August 2014

Went to Castle Hill NNR today to see if the second brood Adonis's were popping up yet.Saw a couple of new males,but I'll go back in a few days time for pictures hopefully.

Plenty of Chalkhills and Common Blues,Brown Argus's,a Marbled white and a Clouded Yellow were also noted,Small Heaths and Small Coppers also.

I've been paying regular pilgrimage to this place for over 25 years now,I even considered moving down this way once,to be closer! :lol:

My favourite beasties live here.
Castle Hill Wart-Biter Male
Castle Hill Wart-Biter Male
This female has sustained some damage to the base of her ovipositor,they are nearly at the end of their season,so hopefully she laid many eggs before injury.
Castle Hill Wart-Biter Female
Castle Hill Wart-Biter Female
In the late 1980's when I were a young lad,a friend and me found a very rare purple form here,I've been back to search for another year in,year out since then without success. :roll:

Agriope bruennichi or the Wasp Spider used to be super rare,but it seems to have picked up in recent years.
Castle Hill Agriope b
Castle Hill Agriope b
Would love to have stayed,but commitments were calling,back at the weekend.
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Male
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Male
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Male2
Castle Hill Chalkhill Blue Male2
Castle Hill Common Blues
Castle Hill Common Blues
If I could buy a house right here......................that would do :lol:
Castle Hill
Castle Hill
Thanks

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed Buchan Boy - that would make a stunning vista to have from your living room 8) Great butterfly shots too BTW :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thanks Wurzel,its a lovely place.

Saturday 23rd August 2014

Back to Castle Hill to see the second brood Adonis's,the clouds got stuck in one of those really dark runs that drop the temperatures and dropped the light levels,it carried on like this most of the day,still mustn't grumble.

Thanks Steve Falk,he found me a Great Green Bush Cricket female.
Castle Hill NNR Great Green Bush Cricket Female
Castle Hill NNR Great Green Bush Cricket Female
Castle Hill NNR Wart Biter Female
Castle Hill NNR Wart Biter Female
That compares both of our largest Bush Crickets.
Castle Hill NNR Brown Argus
Castle Hill NNR Brown Argus
Castle Hill NNR Common Blue
Castle Hill NNR Common Blue
Castle Hill NNR Adonis Blue Male
Castle Hill NNR Adonis Blue Male
I'd noticed some of the Common Blues were carrying "passengers" :roll:
Castle Hill NNR Common Blue with mite.
Castle Hill NNR Common Blue with mite.
When the Lady's tresses are popping up,I know we're into the second half of August, these chilly nights are reminiscent of October....... :shock:
Castle Hill NNR Autumns Lady's-tresses
Castle Hill NNR Autumns Lady's-tresses
Castle Hill NNR Round-headed Rampion
Castle Hill NNR Round-headed Rampion
There was an old guy wandering round looking at the flowers,he pointed loads out to me,forgot me note pad,thanks old guy,I love those people that rattle off about 30 species in 3 seconds,went home in awe at the old guy's knowledge :wink:
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 24th August 2014

This morning screamed Brown Hairstreak,light breeze,strong sun,all good to see if anything was around on my local patch.

The Dragonflies were taking a while to get going,with the cool night just gone.
Rusper Road Southern Hawker Male
Rusper Road Southern Hawker Male
This Red Admiral was remarkable in that it could still fly!
Rusper Road Red Admiral
Rusper Road Red Admiral
one of the local Jays doing that thing their wings.
Rusper Road Jay
Rusper Road Jay
I've learnt a lot about my local Brown Hairstreaks this year,not seen too many but I think I've found the important trees.
Saw three females this morning,and this one hung around on the lower side of one the huge Blackthorn thickets for a good half an hour.
A dog,not on a lead,nearly ruined it for me but luckily the butterfly wasn't too spooked,I may have swore at the owner,oops sorry. :evil:
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak2
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak2
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak3
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak3
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak4
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak4
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak5
Rusper Road Brown Hairstreak5
Its always a nice feeling when you get some reasonable shots,hope we get some reasonable weather in the upcoming weeks,so I can try and track some more down.

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Thursday 28th August 2014

Some nice mid-morning sun sent me to my Rusper Road site in search of any Brown Hairstreaks, only one female noted high up on a Blackthorn thicket, she was unwilling to descend!

A quick check around to see what was left.Still some good looking Meadow Browns and the second brood Specklies are still looking good.
Rusper Road Speckled Wood
Rusper Road Speckled Wood
Rusper Road Meadow Brown
Rusper Road Meadow Brown
Rusper Road Migrant Hawker Male
Rusper Road Migrant Hawker Male
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of reports Buchan, I remember reading somewhere that the fore wings provide the power/lift and the hind wings allow banking/turning so was the Red Admiral flying in circles :wink: Great set of Brostreaks too - especially number 3 :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Buchan Boy wrote:Still some good looking Meadow Browns...
Interesting that. I haven't seen a Meadow Brown here in south Wales for over a week now and those were in extremely ragged condition.

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Come to think of it Wurzel the Red Admiral only flew around the field margins in an anti-clockwise direction,perhaps it couldn't turn right! :D Nature can be right hilarious at times as well! :lol:

Friday 29th August 2014

Doing some pond clearance at a private site in Surrey,at lunch,got a chance to have a look around.

Some lovely fresh Large White's around,I'll hunt for a female this weekend.(Just noticed how that reads!) :evil:
Newdigate Large White Male
Newdigate Large White Male
Newdigate Large White Male2
Newdigate Large White Male2
And the Commas are starting their alcoholic period!
Newdigate Comma
Newdigate Comma
But the Dragonflies at this site are its speciality,teaming with them,could of done with a bit more sun,ho well.
Newdigate Southern Hawker Female
Newdigate Southern Hawker Female
Newdigate Imm Male Migrant Hawker
Newdigate Imm Male Migrant Hawker
Newdigate Broad Bodied Chaser Female
Newdigate Broad Bodied Chaser Female
Newdigate Imm Southern Hawker Female
Newdigate Imm Southern Hawker Female
Pondwork.
Before
Before
After
After
Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 31st August 2014

Last day of August,September tomorrow....cripes :shock:

Had a treck round my local patch in search of a Large White Female,new brood,plenty of males,the one female I did spot wasn't obliging..

Did manage to study the Brimstones on the Fleabane though.
Buchan Brimstone
Buchan Brimstone
Buchan Brimstone2
Buchan Brimstone2
Also worth noting a very lovely fresh Female Common Blue but failed miserably with any decent shots..
But chasing around the local Odonata around bore fruit in the shape of a male Golden Ringed Dragonfly,we get a couple of records a year locally but there are no local colonies,they wander far and wide.St Leonards possibly,acidic,peaty streams are its normal habitat,heathy stuff.
Buchan Golden Ringed Dragonfly Male
Buchan Golden Ringed Dragonfly Male
Buchan Common Darter Male
Buchan Common Darter Male
A quick check across the A264 to the ex landfill site to put one more of the Orthoptera in the diary.
Kilnwood Long-winged Conehead Male
Kilnwood Long-winged Conehead Male
Autumns coming.......chestnuts......I love chestnuts,and the trees look heavily laden :D

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Friday-Sun 5th-7th September 2014

Bit of catching up to do..........I always put some time aside at this time of year to get down the New Forest to catch up with a couple of national rarities in the grasshopper world.

The New Forest and Purbeck around the Poole basin are the best areas in the country for Orthoptera and me, being interested in all things Grasshopper and Crickety,tend to be drawn to these areas in late summer.

Specifically these areas are the national strongholds for the Large Marsh and Heath Grasshoppers.The Large Marsh preferring the scary "quaking bogs" and the Heath preferring er Heath,a bit drier in the habitat requirements.

Just like butterflies there are colour variations within populations and one of the jewels is the purple form of the Large Marsh,and although the Purbeck colonies seem to possess greater frequency of the purple ones,the same cannot be said for

the New Forest populations,in fact I've never found one in the New Forest.

I camped at quite a popular campsite on the edge of Lymington and in rather murky conditions set about hunting the bogs and heaths of the Southern parts of the New Forest in search of my quarry.

Wooton Bog,to the South West of Brokenhurst contains a good colony of Large Marsh's and it wasn't long before specimens were located,the light was pretty poor,but I did manage to find a rather striking,freshly moulted, female Large Marsh but

photos were naff,back tomorrow for them.

Lovely Small Copper though.
Wooton Bog Small Copper2
Wooton Bog Small Copper2
Wooton Bog Small Copper
Wooton Bog Small Copper
Wooton Bog over to the left
Wooton Bog over to the left
Next day wizzed over to Bagnum Bog at the far Southern end of Kingston Great Common near Burley,as the sun finally broke through the male Large Marsh's started to "pop",they stridulate differently to other grasshoppers,its quite unique.

The males are striking and readily fly when approached,with their yellow and red legs trailing out behind them,its tricky to keep up and they will have flight bursts upto 10metres,also the added scariness of these bogs makes for a good

adrenaline rush,if crashing through a quaking bog is your thing.Actually that's dangerous,know your limitations!(Always check where the "quaking" begins and make sure its safe before any attempt to walk on it is made,I always check with a

birch pole!)
Bagnum Bog Large Marsh Male
Bagnum Bog Large Marsh Male
The females are slightly more "skulky" and will wander around the undergrowth in short hops,they are bulky insects and flight is more of an absolute necessity,than a normal reaction.So watching footfall is forever going on when searching for

the females.
Bagnum Bog Female Large Marsh
Bagnum Bog Female Large Marsh
Now,I've searched for a Purple one here many a time with no joy,today my luck was in,absolutely the find of this year for me,one of Britains most impressive insects,without doubt.
Bagnum Bog Large Marsh Female,purple form.
Bagnum Bog Large Marsh Female,purple form.
Bagnum Bog Large Marsh Female,purple form.2
Bagnum Bog Large Marsh Female,purple form.2
Fantastic,a day I will never forget and the shots to do it justice.A good colony here,counted around 40 individuals in about 4 hours,a good survey will produce a good number,I'm sure.Wandered back to the car and still had some energy to chase

a couple of Grayling around.
Bagnum Bog Grayling
Bagnum Bog Grayling
Bagnum Bog,still quaking!
Bagnum Bog,still quaking!
Then up to Vales Moor at the Northern end of Kingston Great common for the Heathies and a stronghold of these in the New Forest,they like short heather around those mini-gorse bushes.

It took it little while but lady luck shone on me again,this was the last grasshopper I learnt to identify "on the hoof",always struggled with these but finally got it.From above they have two dark bands across the hind formora and the black

wedges on the pronotum extend to the back of it.The field grasshopper is similar but the black wedges do not extend to the back of the pronotum.
Vales Moor Heath Grasshopper Female
Vales Moor Heath Grasshopper Female
And from above showing the pronotum wedges and dark bands across the back legs.
Vales Moor Heath Grasshopper Female 2
Vales Moor Heath Grasshopper Female 2
The males are smaller and tricky little blighters,also very dark,needing to lift the exposure compensation to gain the detail.
Vales Moor Heath Grasshopper Male
Vales Moor Heath Grasshopper Male
Vales Moor
Vales Moor
Went back to Wooton Bog to locate the freshly moulted female and once again refound my quarry.
Wooton Bog Large Marsh Female,newly moulted
Wooton Bog Large Marsh Female,newly moulted
At first the yellow hew had me suspicious and I needed to consult an expert or two,but we reckon this one probably became adult within the last two days,brilliant.

That was a day for me,spent the evening at Keyhaven having a few beers and reflecting on a marvellous day for me and grasshoppers! Just to cap it a brown form Long-winged conehead female appeared as I was kicking the grass on the banks

of one of the ditch's,amazing these are always bright green with the form being "occasional",first I'd photographed.
Keyhaven Long winged Conehead female brown form
Keyhaven Long winged Conehead female brown form
Then she tries to lay eggs into this hogweed stem which was a prop for photography,action shot,bizarre contortions!
Keyhaven Long winged Conehead female brown form2
Keyhaven Long winged Conehead female brown form2
Watched the egrets for a while before wandering back to the campsite.Went to another bog on the Sunday but the weather was all foggy and dank,so no more bug hunting this weekend,went home a happy chappy.
Keyhaven Egret
Keyhaven Egret
View from Keyhaven
View from Keyhaven
Isn't there a rare Fritillary sometimes found over that way..........another day maybe :D

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fascinating reports Buchan, I want to visit these quaking bogs now :D Beautiful Coppers too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Those are stunning grasshoppers. Thanks for sharing.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great account of the Grasshoppers BB and lovely photos too. Inspirational stuff - I've never really been interested in them before but you seem to have me hooked. I'll be taking more interest in future.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great Shots BB of the Grass Hopper, I've seen them in the grass but never so close before.Goldie :D

Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Sunday 5th October 2014

I'd spent good time on the ex-landfill patch to the West of Crawley,this summer.I'd noted Kestrels there and watched them all through the year,so I thought I'd have a go at getting some shots.Not a lot of cover so getting close is quite difficult,its a learning process.The morning was beautiful after a frosty night.
Kilnwood Landfill Kestrel
Kilnwood Landfill Kestrel
Also learning to get close to the Goldfinch's,always wanted that shot of them on the thistle heads,still waiting,but I'm patient. :lol:
Kilnwood Landfill Goldfinch
Kilnwood Landfill Goldfinch
I wandered around the local woods for a while,chased lapwings and buzzards around to no avail and when the sun peaked wandered back to the landfill,not really thinking of butterflies,glanced out across Fleabane,Thistles and Ragwort that have colonised and noted a couple of yellow butterflies,quick check Clouded Yellows,blimey.I had my big lens with me so I legged it home to pick up the macros and returned,early discussion suggests these are local hatch's,they were all fresh,not sure what the host plants are here.Theres some pea looking plants and possibly Lucerne,best go back and check that.Also noted were good amounts of Small Coppers and Common Blues in single figures.
Heres some photos of Crawley Clouded Yellows and friends.About half a dozen Clouded Yellows,2 females.
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow2
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow2
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper2
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper2
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow3
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow3
Kilnwood Landfill Common Blue
Kilnwood Landfill Common Blue
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow4
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow4
Kilnwood Landfill Common Blue2
Kilnwood Landfill Common Blue2
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper3
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper3
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper4
Kilnwood Landfill Small Copper4
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow5
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow5
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow6
Kilnwood Landfill Clouded Yellow6
Kilnwood landfill,soon to be developed.
Kilnwood landfill,soon to be developed.
All that in early October,apologies for not much commentary,the pictures are enough today!

Thanks

Regards
Dave Browne
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No worries Buchan - the pictures are brill :D I hope there is a massive delay in the development as that seems like a great little site :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Wow. Those Yellows are amazing - the second one in particular has such depth of colour... :) :mrgreen:

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

The south coast seems to be oozing Small Coppers and Clouded Yellows right now!

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great report and photos, I echo Dave's comment about the second CY, a lovely deep colour.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”