Andy Brown

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
andy brown

Re: Andy Brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks Michael I have updated my pics accordingly.

After Guys great observations of my schoolboy errors I have gone back through day 6 pics and am stuck on this one I thought Heath/False heath then Meadow based on Guys previous note, but the white elongated spot has thrown me any help appreciated.
No idea.JPG
Cheers

Andy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Been Sorting pictures and gardening so not had the chance to go out this weekend but have been trying out my new extension tubes in the garden on the large and small white Larvae/eggs, still need more practice but a couple are ok I think. With the amount of eggs that have been laid I am not sure they will have time or the food to mature, we will see and look forward to recording them grow over the coming weeks.
IMG_8034.JPG
IMG_8036.JPG
About ready to hatch
IMG_8044.JPG
IMG_8056.JPG
And they started the following morning
IMG_8071.JPG
IMG_8150.JPG
IMG_8179.JPG
IMG_8181.JPG
IMG_8198.JPG
IMG_8200.JPG
And a pristine Small Copper from Friday
IMG_8117.JPG

Cheers

Andy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Do you have any uppersides of that last fritillary, Andy? The underside is compatible with Provençal frit, Melitaea deione.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Sorry Guy, no upperside pictures just one from the other side which has the larger white dot/patch missing, see attached.
To ID.JPG
Thanks Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Last part of day 6, just the one for ID help and if your reading this Guy any thoughts on the Fritillary you wanted another picture of, unfortunately its only from the other side did not get one of upperside.
Nearest I can see is Large Grizzled
Nearest I can see is Large Grizzled
Grayling - Hipparchia semele
Grayling - Hipparchia semele
Green-veined White  -(Pieris napi)
Green-veined White -(Pieris napi)
Marbled Fritillary - (Brenthis daphne)
Marbled Fritillary - (Brenthis daphne)
Silver-washed Fritillary 1 (Argynnis paphia)
Silver-washed Fritillary 1 (Argynnis paphia)
Woodland Grayling - (Hipparchia fagi)
Woodland Grayling - (Hipparchia fagi)
This I have as Brown Argus but is a very rich rusty colour so assume its right for the summer brood
Brown Argus - (Aricia agestis)
Brown Argus - (Aricia agestis)
Sussex Emerald
Sussex Emerald
Long-Tailed Blue - (Lampides boeticus)
Long-Tailed Blue - (Lampides boeticus)
Cheers

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Another Fritillary I need some help with, missed this from Day 5 and initially though Spotted but looking back it is much Brighter and heavier spots, could it be lesser spotted? no underside picture I'm afraid.
IMG_6191.JPG

Thanks

Andy

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Andy. For that earlier fritillary, I'm just not sure. The hindwing looks good for Provençal and in general the forewing does too, though there is considerable heavy black branding inside the submarginal lunules in your second picture. The pattern of this branding is quite compatible with Provençal but the intensity suggests heath. I'm afraid I'm going to pass, as I have rather little experience of Provençal fritillary in the Pyrenees and here in Switzerland we have a distinctively different subspecies.

The skipper is large grizzled, Oberthür's or, with an outside chance, Foulquier's. I'm pretty sure I've found Foulquier's in the Pyrenees. I'd be most inclined to call it Oberthür's, because of the tone of the hindwing and the visibly brighter veins.

I can't see any reason not to call the spotted fritillary just that - nothing lesser spotted leaps out at me.

The brown argus is presumably southern brown argus, Aricia cramera (if you recognise that as a good species) - it certainly looks like it. A. agestis doesn't fly in Spain. I don't know what current orthodoxy is on the status of cramera but my most recent books treat it as a species. In a sense, it doesn't really matter - the taxon is well defined and distinctive and definitely worth getting acquainted with.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Guy That's great thanks, glad my first assumption on Spotted was right and will stick with Heath for now on the earlier one, and yes Southern Brown Argus and having looked at many pictures now of the underside will go with Oberthür's Grizzled Skipper, that will be another one to add to the species list for the trip. Next year I think I will concentrate on picture quality and try to get shots of upper/undersides to ease identification although I know it will not always be possible. Just got to decide where to go, Bulgaria looking favourable at the moment although Hungary is still in contention.

Part 1 of the last day :(
Red Underwing Skipper - (Spialia sertorius)
Provençal Short-tailed Blue
Help with this one please
Help with this one please
Scarce Swallowtail - (Iphiclides podalirius)
IMG_6498.JPG
Purple Hairstreak (Neozephyrus quercus)
Purple Hairstreak (Neozephyrus quercus)
[attachment=0]Spanish or Provence Chalk-hill Blue - any ideas please.JPG[/attachment
how do you tell the difference between the two

Cheers

Andy
Attachments
Spanish or Provence Chalk-hill Blue
Spanish or Provence Chalk-hill Blue

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Amazing pictures Andy, love the Silver Washed Frit and the Scarce Swallow Tail Goldie :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Did you see the upperside of the chalkhill blue, Andy? The northern Spanish subspecies (sometimes considered a good species) of Spanish chalkhill blue, arragonensis, is similar to Provence chalkhill blue and unlike the southern, nominate subspecies has silvery blue tones to the upperside. The underside is also less chalky white than that of the nominate subspecies. But in flight it looks white and to the naked eye looks very pale when it spreads its wings. I found that in my photos it always came out looking a little more blue, and sometimes very like Provence chalkhill blue. This is arragonensis (two different individuals):

Most of the individuals I saw had those rather heavy spots on the underside of the forewing but this is not shown in all photos of the subspecies.

Guy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for that Guy no upper wing shots in this instance, I have in some earlier post where I am asking the same question from different location/Day, I will take a look based upon your observations though and see what I can conclude, in the meantime here is the latest batch from the last day.
Berger's Clouded Yellow - (Colias alfacariensis) I Think
Berger's Clouded Yellow - (Colias alfacariensis) I Think
Purple-shot  Copper - (Lycaena  alciphron)
Purple-shot Copper - (Lycaena alciphron)
Cardinal - (Argynnis pandora)
These 2 are the same Butterfly and cannot seem to ID!
Not Sure
Not Sure
Not Sure
Not Sure
Thanks

Andy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Alas here is the last few from the last day, already making plans for next year, where! still not sure.
Turquoise Blue - (Polyommatus dorylas)
Turquoise Blue - (Polyommatus dorylas)
Cleopatra - (Gonepteryx cleopatra)
Cleopatra - (Gonepteryx cleopatra)
Painted Lady - (Vanessa cardui)
Painted Lady - (Vanessa cardui)
Bath White - (Pontia daplidice)
Bath White - (Pontia daplidice)
Chapmans Blue
Chapmans Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
Short-tailed Blue - (Everes argiades)
Short-tailed Blue - (Everes argiades)
Mallow Skipper - (Carcharodus alceae)
Mallow Skipper - (Carcharodus alceae)
Cheers

Andy

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great series of photos, from your trip to the Pyrenees, Andy :D I am also very interested to know the progress of the Large White ova/larvae you posted on 14th September?

Mike

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Morning Mike,

Thanks for your comments, The current position with the Large White Larvae is that I am awash with them 100-200 I would say along with Small White and moth larvae all on my Brussel Sprout (Sounds Painful) :lol: . I will try to get some pictures tonight if calm enough, most are of a size now I won't need my extension tubes so the breeze shouldn't be a problem so will post once done.

Cheers

Andy

kevling

Post by kevling »

Andy,

Enjoyed the photo collection from your travels. Some great species seen.
Also liked the Large White larvae pictures. I too have some late eggs, spotted this week on a Nasturtiam in my garden.
Lets hope we get some success between us.

Regards Kev

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Evening Mike,

As promised just been out and taken a couple of quick snaps still a bit breezy, as you can see lots of Large white larvae of different sizes and some fresh eggs as well, just a quick look I recon i must have a 100+larvae on a few plants
IMG_8334.JPG
IMG_8335.JPG
IMG_8336.JPG
IMG_8339.JPG
IMG_8340.JPG
IMG_8342.JPG
Will try to keep up to speed with their growth/stages assuming they make it through to pupation. If so will have to put finer mesh over next years crops or they will eat me out of house and home :lol:

Cheers

Andy

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Andy, thanks for posting shots of the Large White ova/larvae, you certainly have a fair few! They certainly appear healthy looking at the moment and I hope it continues that way. Of the 24 larvae I brought inside only 12 are left, the remainder having succumbed to parasitism. The first of the batch to pupate is doing so now, I must also keep my eye on the one which survived parasitism, it will hopefully pupate soon.

Mike

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Andy. I'm well behind on your diary, I'm afraid, but they're great pictures of super butterflies. The 'not sure' frits you posted on 22nd Sept are knapweed.

Guy

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Thanks for the ID guy took ages to get an upper and underside shot as it was faded and thought may need both angle's.

Mike, good luck with cats but mine will have to take their chances outside, lets hope it stays fair for them to mature

Thanks

Andy

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Andy, It will be interesting to see how they fare outside.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”