Focal Length Macro

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pete A

Focal Length Macro

Post by Pete A »

Looking for a macro lens for butterflies / insects but I wondered if anyone could help re focal length. I thought 105mm as walk around size rather than 150mm is this more for tripod use. I like the Nikon VR macro 2.8 does anyone have any experience of this as a butterfly lens. I am very keen on taking up wildlife photography but don't know a lot about photgraphy trying to learn from forums / magds etc but confused as to best focal length.

Thanks
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

Welcome to the site Pete, I've got both the 150 Sigma and the Nikon 105VR, they are both top lenses and produce super images.

I have decided to sell my 150 because I think the Nikon has the edge optically and also the VR is brilliant.

As you've already said the 150 really needs to be used with a support for best results and this requires a lot of self discipline and patience when stalking your subject, on the other hand the longer reach of the 150 is useful because you dont have to get so close in the first place and so don't cause so much disturbance.

The shorter length of the 105 does mean you need to get closer, but for myself I enjoy the challenge of stalking and also the close contact with my quarry.
I still use the 105 with a support, but for the occasions when I need to get really low(and thats very often), I ditch the support and have confidence in the VR.

So I suppose to sum up what I'm really saying is... either are great, its just down to your personal preference regarding the focal length.
Regards Mike
Pete A

Post by Pete A »

Thanks Mike. I have a D300 and I thought of the Nikon 105VR like you I like to get close to quarry. I have viewed your website and note you take photos of birds. I was thinking of investing in as sigma 50.500m as I cannot run to the 400 2.8 primes money wise.
Mike Young

Post by Mike Young »

I've just bought the D300 (stunning camera) and have kept my D200 for a second body when I go to Africa next year, will save changing lenses so often in the dusty environment
The Sigma 50-500 Bigma is cracking lens, most of my bird shots are done with it.
Good luck with your decision 8)
Regards Mike
Malcolm Farrow

Post by Malcolm Farrow »

Hi Pete

I've used the Nikon 105mm VR macro since March 2006 and it's an outstanding lens for hand-held insect photography. Combined together with the new D300 looks like a perfect combination.

Best wishes

Malcolm
Pete A

Post by Pete A »

Thanks chaps I have bought the 105 vr today. Took first picture which was of my cat she has never looked so old it really picked out her grey whiskers. I am really pleased with acquisition roll on summer !

Return to “Photography”