Speckled Woods

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
NickMorgan

Speckled Woods

Post by NickMorgan »

In 2009 we had our first Speckled Wood record for East Lothian. Another was seen later that year and then one in 2010. In 2011 we had 16 Speckled Woods reported to us and during the dreadful 2012 we still managed eleven. Last year was amazing and Speckled Woods spread over much of the county. We received records of 129 Speckled Woods. This year has been absolutely incredible, though! We had our first record on 20th April and the records have been piling in. I saw a Speckled Wood in Haddington on my transect in May and earlier this week I saw two more. They seem to have spread to more than two thirds of the county all ready.
At lunchtime today I visited a coastal woodland to look for Purple Hairstreaks (unsuccessfully) and I couldn't believe the number of Speckled Woods we saw. There were thousands of them. In every direction we looked there were ten or so in the air. Settling in Sycamore and Oak trees, basking on the paths and perching in the grass.
I have never seen anything like it. Is this unusual, or in areas where Speckled Woods have occurred for years, do you get similar occurrences?
millerd

Re: Speckled Woods

Post by millerd »

It is certainly true that the current brood seems to be very numerous all over the country, but I've not heard of quite such an explosion as you describe - it sounds amazing, especially as they were virtually unknown there five years ago. Rapid colonisation or what! :)

Dave
A_T

Post by A_T »

It is certainly great to see so many Speckleds around - must be down to the good weather we had in June and July.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have heard from a few people that they are doing well in other parts of the country, which is great to hear. :)
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Nick

Speckled Wood are one of my favourites :D They are doing very well down here at the moment. Your comments about seeing thousands reminds me of what reawakened my interest in butterflies. Back in the late Indian summer/autumn of 2011 there were much higher numbers than I have seen since around my local footpaths, perhaps not thousands but they were a sight to behold. There seemed to be a new individual take to the air with every footstep :D
One from the weekend
One from the weekend
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Have to agree about the Speckled Woods, they are pretty superb when they are fresh, as I mentioned to Wurzel. The 2 I saw in my garden today were in fine condition and worth savouring. While the good weather lasts breeding should continue with butterflies into late autumn . By the way they have a special penchant for rotten bananas or skins, so may be worth putting one or two out to try and keep them in the garden or attract a few more.

Regards
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Here in south Wales, Speckled Woods are currently doing well, which seems to reflect their presence elsewhere in the UK.

Numbers weren't great in spring but they appear to have enjoyed a renaissance later in the year.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Thanks everyone. Good to hear that they are doing well all over the country. They are just about the only butterflies that I am see up here when we get some brighter weather.

Return to “General”