Planted some common buckthorn!

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Julian

Re: Planted some common buckthorn!

Post by Julian »

Ok A_T so not yet. keep the faith though.... :wink:
Enough
A_T

Post by A_T »

Sad to report that no Brimstones appeared this summer - I was not really surprised as I saw no eggs in the Spring. It is about 12 miles from the nearest colony so probably the odds are against a female finding them first time. The buckthorn itself has held it's own but is not exactly thriving - I may move some of them to where they get almost constant sunshine as I saw female Brimstones quite happily laying on very exposed Alder Buckthorn on Whixall Moss earlier this year.

Fingers crossed for 2012!
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Reading all this, I am deciding on getting a buckthorn, Brimstones are scarce as hens teeth in NI, due to buckthorn being the same. Ocationally Brimstones are reported as vagrents across from the republic but not that often and not every year so probably be hit and miss but if you don't try, you'll never know.

There was a buckthorn on a NT site, but they seemed to have got rid of it. Alder buckthorn is the rarest tree/shrub in Ireland so if I am able to get one, might help a lot. Rhamnus cathartica is still rare in Co Down and most other places except mainly Fermanagh but I'll go with alder buckthorn.

Where I am going to put one, there is full sunlight most of the day (when there is sun) as the area as it in an open area that points towards the east.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

A_T wrote:Sad to report that no Brimstones appeared this summer - I was not really surprised as I saw no eggs in the Spring. It is about 12 miles from the nearest colony so probably the odds are against a female finding them first time. The buckthorn itself has held it's own but is not exactly thriving - I may move some of them to where they get almost constant sunshine as I saw female Brimstones quite happily laying on very exposed Alder Buckthorn on Whixall Moss earlier this year.

Fingers crossed for 2012!
Brimstones always seemed common around Wybunbury Moss is Cheshire but I never found a Buckthorn anywhere in the area.
A_T

Post by A_T »

In the Spring a family member saw a male Brimstone in our garden - the first we've ever seen here in over 20 years. Then today I saw another - nectaring on Valerian [pic below]. I have no doubt these were both wanderers rather than natives - but it gives hope that 2 generations of Brimstone have reached my location. Here's hoping a pregnant female finds my buckthorn next Spring!

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

That's fantastic. I am very pleased for you. The way butterflies have been extending their range into East Lothian in the last few years I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have some home-grown Brimstones soon. Sadly we don't have any up here yet, but I live in hope!

Return to “General”