Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: nfreem

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, hope you managed to see something despite the recent dodgy weather.

Wednesday 20th August

This being the second Wednesday that I had booked off work and with my lack of success in seeing any Brown Hairstreaks at Grafton Wood last week I decided to have another attempt today.

I left home about 10.00 and drove over, arriving and parking by the church at Grafton Flyford about an hour later. The morning had started off nice and sunny albeit with a bit of a nip in the air after a cold night, and by the time I arrived at Grafton some more cloud had built up with the sunny spells being warm but not lasting very long. At least the blustery wind of late had dropped with there being very little breeze today.
I walked across the fields and into the wood and then followed the main ride down to the southern end which is quite sheltered and where there has been some management of the blackthorn to encourage new growth. As with last week, Speckled Woods were everywhere along with some Meadow Browns and a few faded Gatekeepers and various whites.
Reaching the southern end of the wood I started scanning the Oaks and Ash and soon saw some Hairstreaks flitting about high up but which through my binoculars proved to be Purples, not Browns.

A few minutes later I was joined by a couple of fellow enthusiasts and together we scanned the trees and blackthorn. During one of the brief warm sunny spells we spotted a butterfly flying across the trees in front of us which we all thought was a Brown Hairstreak. It flew up into the trees before we got a really good look but it flew with the ‘jinking’ flight of a hairstreak and it was the right colour so on the principle of ‘if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck’ we agreed that it probably was one (a Brown Hairstreak that is, not a duck :wink: ).

Just after that a Holly Blue settled and with a cloud blocking the sun stayed down for a while, not in the best place for photos being well into a large patch of brambles and unfortunately not opening its wings before flying off.
Holly Blue - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
Holly Blue - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
With another large cloud blocking the sun we then walked back up the main ride towards the pond area before going our separate ways to check out different rides.

Again, as with last week there were a fair few Common Blue and Brown Argus scattered about as well as a couple of worn Small Coppers.
Common Blue - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
Brown Argus - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
A little while later I met up with John Tilt and Dave Williams of West Midlands BC who were with a work party further in the wood and after having a chat we went for a wander back to the pond and the adjacent rides.
Apparently the Brown Hairstreaks are slow to get going at Grafton this year and there is a bit of concern about the low number of sightings, in fact John told me he has only seen one so far, a male. It is possible the recent weather has held them back; August so far has been cool and cloudy and quite blustery after the remnants of Hurricane Bertha passed through and a northerly wind has brought quite cool conditions for the time of year.

John then went back to re-join the work party whilst Dave and myself had another look by the pond. We had already seen a couple of False Brown Hairstreaks (Gatekeepers) when both of us at the same time spotted what at first looked like another one land on a clump of Hemp Agrimony. Happily this one was the real thing :D , a male Brown Hairstreak that stayed down for a few minutes before taking off and flying up into the Oaks behind us.
Brown Hairstreak - Grafton Wood 20.08.2014
It was only as I took photos of this one that I realised that this was the first male Brown Hairstreak that I have ever photographed, all my previous shots have been of females.

I then took a slow walk back through the wood and with more clouds building up I called it a day and headed for home.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you got your reward, Neil.

Well done.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Neil - if only I'd managed to have persuaded the family to have made a visit there :roll: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments David and Wurzel, much appreciated :D

I haven't been anywhere since last Wednesday :(, between work and household/family stuff over the weekend I haven't had chance and then the bank holiday yesterday was miserable with rain all day so I caught up with more stuff around the house. Mind you it gave me a chance to build up some more brownie points which I hope to make use of next week when I will be down in Dorset again for a week and it even looks like the weather might settle down a bit for then, fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I hope the weather is kind to you next week Neil :D looks like it might improve, can't be any worse than it is now :D :wink:

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done with the BH Neil. made me realise I haven't seen a male this year (apart from the reared ones). I'm sure you'll have a great time in Dorset as the weather is set to improve :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Pauline and Mike :D My apologies for the late reply, I have been down in Dorset last week with intermittent Wi-Fi and phone signal.

Another week in Dorset

For the past three years I have had a family holiday in Dorset during the first week in September, the timing for this being based partly on good old tradition which usually has it that as soon as the kids go back to school after the summer hols the weather gets better :wink:.

So it was this year that last week I was in Dorset again, this time staying at Durdle Door Holiday Park with my wife Jane and my Mom, just the three of us this time. After a cool and cloudy August the weather did indeed improve through the week with most days being a mixture of early cloud with some good sun later in the afternoons and with the temperature getting into the mid-twenties a few times during the week.

Before going I had read a few comments about this year being an early season, and that things were coming to an early close, so I was wondering what species would still be about and in what numbers. I must admit that my own feelings about the season were that things are a bit more complicated than it simply being an early one. During spring and summer things were indeed generally a bit early and then everything seemed to be happening at once during a glorious July. After this however a cooler and cloudy August in the wake of ex-hurricane Bertha seemed to have put the brakes on things somewhat and I had a suspicion that some later emergences may have been held back a bit or become more drawn out, something that seems to be supported by some of my observations in Dorset last week.

Durdle Door is right next to Lulworth Cove and during the week I had a few walks, both to the cove and Bindon Hill, and also along the coast path in the other direction.
Durdle Door in the early evening sun
Durdle Door in the early evening sun
Looking down on Lulworth Cove and Bindon Hill from the path from Durdle Door.
Looking down on Lulworth Cove and Bindon Hill from the path from Durdle Door.
I also went to Ballard Down and Durlston Country Park a couple of times as well as Osmington and Portland where I saw many of the same species at each place so rather than do daily reports I will probably do a few posts focusing on locations or species to report the highlights once I have sorted through all the photos that I took.

So first off…

As mentioned above I went along the paths past Durdle Door a number of times. As well as the main path leading down to the beaches there are also paths higher up the slopes and I had a good look and found loads of Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and Graylings in all sorts of condition including some looking surprisingly fresh.
Grayling in the grass - Durdle Door 31.08.2014
Grayling in the grass - Durdle Door 31.08.2014
Meadow Brown male - Durdle Door 05.09.2014
Meadow Brown male - Durdle Door 05.09.2014

I witnessed Grayling courtship behaviour a number of times and took a number of photos but will put those in another post when I have had chance to sort through them.

In some of the sheltered dips and folds in the ground a few Common Blues and Small Coppers could often be found and in one particular dip in the slope above Durdle Door itself there were a dozen or so Adonis Blues plus a couple of Marbled Whites, again looking remarkably fresh.
Common Blue female - Durdle Door 31.08.2014
Common Blue female - Durdle Door 31.08.2014
Small Copper - Durdle Door 05.09.2014
Small Copper - Durdle Door 05.09.2014
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 05.09.2014
Adonis Blue - Durdle Door 05.09.2014
Marbled White - Durdle Door 31.08.2014
Marbled White - Durdle Door 31.08.2014
There were also some Clouded Yellows usually circling around here, at least three individuals as that was how many I saw in the air at the same time on a couple of occasions.
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2014
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2014
Other species seen along here during the week were Large and Small Whites plus a number of Red Admirals and a Painted Lady, mostly seeming to be coming in off the sea and flying past at high speed.
Small White living dangerously, look under her left forewing tip.
Small White living dangerously, look under her left forewing tip.

On the Tuesday afternoon I also spotted a Kestrel perched on a post and managed to circle slowly around him and take a few shots as he kept his beady eye on me.
Kestrel - Durdle Door 02.09.2014
As I said above, I have loads of photos to sort though and some catching up to do over the next few days...

Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely bird, Neil. And that Marbled White really is fresh. I wonder if late specimens are a feature of the area, as I saw one like that at Durlston on the same date last year. And the Dorset coast looks glorious as usual. :mrgreen:

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to more of these posts Neil as they are cracking and give me a much needed taster of home :D :mrgreen: Stunning shots throughout especially the Small Copper and Kes :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Dave :D This is third year running that I have been in this part of the world in early September and seen Marbled whites so I guess it must be normal. Jeremy Thomas also comments in 'The Butterflies of Britain & Ireland' about Meadow Browns continuing to emerge throughout September on warm southern chalk sites so this may effect the Marbled Whites in a similar way.

Cheers Wurzel, glad you enjoy the posts :D

Grayling Action at Durdle Door.

Across the slopes of the downs above Durdle door and along a small valley with the great name of Scratchy Bottom I found loads of Graylings competing with Small Heath and Meadow Brown to be the most numerous species along here.
Grayling - Durdle Door 31.08.14
Grayling - Durdle Door 02.09.14
Grayling - Durdle Door 05.09.14
Grayling - Durdle Door 05.09.14
Some of these looked to be in quite fresh condition and on a number of occasions I watched males circling around females through the air in what was a bit reminiscent of Silver-washed Fritillary courtship flight, albeit a much more untidy and clumsy version of it without the graceful spiralling of the male Fritillary.

On one occasion on the Sunday (31st August) afternoon I watched a pair in cop fly past me being chased by another male and all three landed in the grass a few yards in front of me. The male tried to interrupt the pair and was greeted by what I believe was a rejection display from the female.
Graylings - Durdle Door 31.08.14
After a short while the second male departed and left them in peace.
A little later that same afternoon I saw another female go to ground whilst being chased by a male and again managed to get some shots of her rejecting him.
A few days later, on the Tuesday (2nd September), on another late afternoon walk along the area I saw a similar thing again with a male chasing a female to ground where she gave him the rejection display and after getting the hint he flew off.
Graylings - Durdle Door 02.09.14
Graylings - Durdle Door 02.09.14
I was well chuffed with these shots as not only had I managed to capture the open wings of a Grayling but I had managed to do it on three separate occasions and witness some interesting behaviour :D

Bye for now,

Neil.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just catching up with your posts Neil and your photos put mine to shame :mrgreen: - gorgeous Graylings and cracking Kestrel. Lovely sharp images and as you have the same camera I have absolutely no excuse :roll:

David M

Post by David M »

Great Grayling images, Neil. They're incredibly interesting butterflies to watch due their behaviour.

I'm also pretty stunned by the continued presence of Marbled Whites in good condition.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline :D The Graylings in action were pretty much snap shots as they didn't give me much time to think about it. I was also lucky with the Kestrel as he stayed still for a good while as I slowly edged closer.

Hi David, thanks for your comments :D . This is the third year on the trot now that I have seen Marbled Whites in early September. Previously I have seen them at Bindon Hill and Durlston but this year didn't find any at either of those sites.

Lulworth Cove and Bindon Hill.

As well as exploring the downs around Durdle Door last week I also walked to Lulworth Cove a few times. This only took about 15 minutes but usually took a bit longer coming back up the path across Hambury Tout, especially after I had spent some time up on Bindon Hill and my poor old legs were getting a bit tired.
Looking down on Lulworth Cove from Bindon hill.
Looking down on Lulworth Cove from Bindon hill.
Looking down over West Lulworth from Bindon Hill.
Looking down over West Lulworth from Bindon Hill.
Up on the hill there were the usual Meadow Browns and Small Heaths in good numbers plus Common and Adonis Blues and even some Chalkhill Blues still hanging on, some of the latter still in surprisingly good condition. Mind you I saw some good condition Chalkhill Blues here at the same time last year so maybe not so surprising.
There were also good numbers of Brown Argus, most of which were looking worn and faded, and a few Graylings could be found a little higher up the hill.
Meadow Brown female - Bindon Hill 31.08.2014
Meadow Brown female - Bindon Hill 31.08.2014
Small Heath - Bindon Hill 31.08.2014
Small Heath - Bindon Hill 31.08.2014
Chalkhill Blue male - Bindon Hill - 31.08.2014
Chalkhill Blue female - Bindon Hill - 31.08.2014
Chalkhill Blue female - Bindon Hill - 31.08.2014
Chalkhill Blue female - Bindon Hill - 04.09.2014
The Adonis Blues were in lower numbers here than I have seen in previous years but having said that there were some very fresh ones about and it seemed that there was a steady emergence still going on.
Adonis Blue pair - Bindon Hill
Adonis Blue pair - Bindon Hill
Adonis Blue male - Bindon Hill 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue male - Bindon Hill 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue female - Bindon Hill 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue female - Bindon Hill 04.09.2014
I will come back to the Adonis Blues in another post of their own later, as I ended up seeing these at five separate sites during the week and took loads of photos of both males and females looking nice and fresh.

Down in the cove itself a couple of Hummingbird Hawks moths were seen on clumps of Valerian growing out of the walls, usually accompanied by one or two Small Whites or Small Tortoiseshells.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Lulworth Cove 31.08.2014
Small Tortoiseshell - Lulworth Cove 31.08.2014
Small Tortoiseshell - Lulworth Cove 31.08.2014

On the grassy slope around by Stair Hole, Meadow Browns, Common Blue, Brown Argus and Small Copper were seen plus a Clouded Yellow was seen circling around the steeper parts on a couple of days.

Bye for now,

Neil.

nomad

Post by nomad »

Super reports and photos. I found the series of grayling images very interesting. Nice to see the Chalkhill Blues were still fresh on the last day of August and in early September on the south coast. Those Lulworth images bring back many happy memories, what a beautiful area, my favourite coastal locality. :) Those Hummingbird Hawk moth shots are stunners.

Regards Peter.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic lush shots Neil :D Those Chalk Hills and Adonis are in cracking nick and the open wing Grayling shots well :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Peter, thanks for your comments, I am glad you like them :D

Cheers Wurzel, those Graylings were one of my highlights, great to watch and getting the open wing shots was the icing on the cake :D

Ballard Down and Durlston Country Park

On the Tuesday morning (2nd September) we had a drive into Swanage and after dropping the women off in the town I went off to Ballard Down. It is amazing how some shops and a pot of tea and some cake will keep them happy while I wander off for a bit :wink:.

Unfortunately, Tuesday turned out to be the cloudiest day we had all week and on my arrival at the layby at Ulwell there was a rain shower that lasted for about 20 minutes. Walking up onto the down after the rain had stopped, I followed the lower path, seeing a few Meadow Browns and a couple each of Small Heath and Speckled Wood, all that was flying in the dull conditions.
Speckled Wood - Ballard Down 02.09.2014
Speckled Wood - Ballard Down 02.09.2014
After a while I made my way back along the path and bumped into Matthew Oates and a couple of his colleagues from the N.T (I think). We had a short chat before I carried on looking to see if I could find any roosting Adonis Blues, of which I eventually found a couple each of males and females in the flat open area near the path to the layby.
Adonis Blue in the wet grass - Ballard Down 02.09.2014
Adonis Blue in the wet grass - Ballard Down 02.09.2014
After an hour or so at the Down I went back to meet Jane and my Mom in Swanage and we then decided to carry on up to Durlston Country Park where they were happy to go into the café at the castle (tea and cake again :lol: ) whilst I had another little wander.

It was still dull and cloudy despite a forecast for it to clear during the afternoon and things here were similar to Ballard Down, a few Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and roosting Adonis Blues and Common Blues. At least here I found one Adonis basking for a short while during a brief spell when the clouds were slightly thinner.
Adonis Blue - Durlston CP 02.09.2014
Adonis Blue - Durlston CP 02.09.2014
A couple of days later (Thursday 4th September) we returned to Swanage on a much brighter and warmer day with some nice sunny spells and I grabbed the chance for another look on Ballard Down. This time there were many more butterflies about, although, like at Bindon Hill earlier in the week, numbers seemed generally lower compared with what I have seen here previously.
Again, as at Bindon Hill, some of the Adonis Blues were looking nice and fresh indicating that they were still emerging, in fact whilst talking with Matthew Oates here on Tuesday he had said that he would expect them to last throughout September and into October on chalk sites such as this.
Adonis Blue female - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue female - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue pair - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue pair - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue and Brown Argus - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue and Brown Argus - Ballard Down 04.09.2014
Carrying on to Durlston later for another look, I found Adonis and Common Blues, Meadow Browns, Small Heath, Speckled Wood and Large and Small Whites plus a couple of Green-veined Whites but again overall numbers seemed down compared to previous years.
Adonis Blue - Durlston CP 04.09.2014
Adonis Blue - Durlston CP 04.09.2014
There were also a number of Red Admirals here which seemed to be flying past me every few minutes coming in off the sea.

Despite having a good search in the areas I have seen them before I failed to find any late Lulworth skippers here this year.

Bye for now,

Neil.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Your observations seem to confirm what i found a couple of weeks ago down there-a potracted emegence of Adonis Blues in low numbers this year,instead of the spectacular but short emegence we saw in 2013.

Great pictures,love the late Chalkhill Blues.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Essex :D I found the greatest number of Adonis Blues at Osmington on the path up to White Horse Hill, far more than at Ballard, Durlston or Lulworth yet still not as many as last year. Still got a post to come to include those.

Mostly Red Admirals.

I have mentioned a couple of times in the previous posts that I saw Red Admirals at various places last week in Dorset. In fact they showed up in ones and twos just about everywhere, sometimes half a dozen or more, and often seen flying in off the sea.

On the Wednesday (3rd September) I took a late afternoon drive to Osmington to have a walk up the path to White Horse Hill, one of my favourite spots in this area, but before doing so I went to check out a couple of Buddleias down by the Smugglers Inn.
Last year these shrubs had been covered with Small Tortoiseshells but this year it was Red Admirals that dominated with 11 counted plus a tatty Painted Lady and a Peacock along with Large and Small Whites.
A raggedy pair - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
A raggedy pair - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Red Admiral - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Red Admiral - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Red Admirals - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Red Admirals - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Peacock - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Peacock - Osmington Mills 03.09.2014
Anyone who has been reading my diary for the past couple of years may remember that I saw large numbers of Red Admirals in September 2012 on the heather at Knoll Beach at Studland.
Whilst we were in the Swanage area last Thursday we stopped off at Knoll Beach for a couple of hours and whilst the women just chilled out for a bit I went for a little wander. In the same area that I had seen the Red Admirals in 2012 I again saw good numbers, not as many as before but easily 30+ without going too far (this is not a spot where I want to venture too far into the dunes :wink: ).
Red Admiral - Studland 04.09.2014
As well as the Red Admirals there was also a single Comma, the first Autumn one that I have seen.
Comma - Studland 04.09.2014
Comma - Studland 04.09.2014
Bye for now,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

More lovely pictures, Neil - splendid Red Admirals and some nice fresh Adonis. To be honest, I've never come across anything unexpected in the dunes at the back of Knoll Beach (maybe everyone buries themselves in sand as we tramp across the dunes :) ). Just butterflies... I believe the unspectacular second brood of Adonis may well be related to the above average height of the grass round the foodplant when the eggs were laid. A chap I spoke to at Denbies the other day said that the very wet winter and subsequent warm weather has led to unprecedented grass growth this year.

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely Adonis Neil especially the female in the wet grass :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”