Brisbane and New Caledonia

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Tony Moore

Re: Brisbane and New Caledonia

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Guy and guys,

I have just heard back from Dr Seow and post his reply below. It does seem all horribly complicated.... :( .
Quote Originally Posted by atronox View Post
Probably Appias albina psyche or Appias melania psyche (D' Abrera considers this a ssp. of melania rather than albina).
The Appias species are highly variable & terribly complicated.

What has happened is that a mountain population of the albina complex in Queensland is raised to full species status as A. melania.
There is a lowland population of A. albina albina in Australia which looks quite different.
As stated in the text the hindwing underside is yellow.
http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.co...er/albina.html

D'Abrera have a valid point as the New Caledonia population (taxon psyche) closely resembles A. melania on both sides .
However, it appeares to have been retained as a subspecies of A. albina.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._New_Caledonia

Under the circumstance, it is best to leave it as Appias albina psyche.

Australia has also raise two ssp of Ornithoptera priamus to full speciies, something not agreed by others.
They have thus 3 species of Birdwings, ie O. priamus. O. euphorion, & richmondia.

TL Seow
PS. Tony, your shots are all of one species.

Please make of that what you will.... :mrgreen:

A rather puzzled Tone :cry: .
Tony Moore

Postscript

Post by Tony Moore »

I have just had another communication from Dr Seow in Singapore about the Euremia species above. It was very common in the Gouaro Deva reserve near Bourail, and has been positively ID'ed as E. smilax. However it appears that this butterfly is, supposedly, not on the NC list! :shock: The nearest official Euremia is E. brigitta, which is also found in Oz. Dr Seow suggests that it may be an introduction
( as occurred in Java, apparently). If so, it is a mightily successful intro, as I saw at least a hundred during the three days that we were there.
If any further intelligence is forthcoming, I'll post it here.

A slightly mystified Tone :?: .

Return to “Overseas”