Proboscis in flight

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Alastair Rae

Proboscis in flight

Post by Alastair Rae »

The recent Super Senses BBC TV program had film of a rather splendid Tobacco Hawkmoth finding nectar in a wind tunnel in pitch dark. One thing was that it was flying with its proboscis fully extended. Since they smell with their antennae, my guess is that it was using it as a 'whisker' to avoid bumping into things. I think most moths flying in to a light will have their proboscis coiled but maybe that's because they're not in darkness. I now have a mental picture of all our moths flying around with their tongues hanging out.
Philzoid

Re: Proboscis in flight

Post by Philzoid »

Would like to have seen that programm ...perhaps I can get it on i-player(?)
I doubt the moth was using it as a whisker to avoid bumping into things rather it had it uncoiled in anticipation of the food source he was heading to :? . The way moths navigate in the dark is not fully understood although it is thought they use celestial bodies like the moon to help them navigate so light plays a part and in the absence of any light?. I found this link which may be of interest:-https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 438AAKK3if
Another thing to remember is that not "all moths have their tongues hanging out" as many do not have tongues .. they do not feed as all their sustenance is taken at the larval stage :) .

Return to “General”