M40 Compensation Area.

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
nomad

M40 Compensation Area.

Post by nomad »

Some here will visit this site to photograph the Black Hairstreak, which likes to descend here to feed at the Privet flowers. Recently, I have had a reply from Dave Wilton of the Thames BC as regards to the damage caused by the heavy deer browsing at the M40 Compensation area. BC have been aware of this problem for a decade, but the owners of the site, the ' Highway Agency ' will not re-fence this site because of the expenditure. BC has requested that they turn this important site over to them, but I afraid this has fallen on deaf ears.

Regards Peter.
Mark Tutton

Re: M40 Compensation Area.

Post by Mark Tutton »

How ironic - the Department of Transport at the time - commissioned Katherine Bickmore and Prof Jeremy Thomas to design this, paid for landscaping and the planting of some 22,000 blackthorn bushes and numerous other bush species to compensate for the M40 clipping the forest. This seems to have done an admirable job and now they are refusing to maintain the area and the habitat will potentially be lost !!! Bizarre - anyone live in the area who can write to their local MP?
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
nomad

Post by nomad »

I agree Mark, my sentiments entirely. After all that effort the Highway Agency seems to have washed their hands of this site. I wonder what Jeremy Thomas makes of this sad state of affairs. :(
Kind Regards Peter.
David M

Post by David M »

Mark Tutton wrote:How ironic - the Department of Transport at the time - commissioned Katherine Bickmore and Prof Jeremy Thomas to design this, paid for landscaping and the planting of some 22,000 blackthorn bushes and numerous other bush species to compensate for the M40 clipping the forest. This seems to have done an admirable job and now they are refusing to maintain the area and the habitat will potentially be lost !!! Bizarre - anyone live in the area who can write to their local MP?
Ironic indeed. They spend goodness knows how much in creating this landscape in the first place only to subsequently deny the organisation responsible for its creation an opportunity to maintain it. :?
peterc

Post by peterc »

Yes I agree it is a sad state of affairs. Could the Highways Agency be too scared that the site might become too popular with increasing traffic etc. I hope not :?

Peter
nomad

Post by nomad »

If anyone wonders what all the fuss is about, here are some images of the deer damage to the M4 Compensation area, which is present all round the site. :( Not a very good example to Hairstreak or butterfly conservation in the U.K, especially as regards the Brown Hairstreak, which like to egg lay low down.

Regards Peter.
543.JPG
546.JPG
549.JPG
547.JPG

Return to “Sites”