Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic smattering of Blues Mike :D :mrgreen: Now if only the weather would improve slightly so we can make the most of them :? , still it porbably will the very day I start back at work :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It was great for us to see them too, David.

Glad you like those shots, Pauline :D :wink:

Cheers Andy,they're emerging slowly in Hampshire too, we just need some reasonable weather so we can get out to see them.

Cheers Wurzel, I'm with you on the weather :? and think you're right about when it will change :roll:

Old Winchester Hill - Second visit, 20th August 2014

Having seen one very fresh looking male Adonis Blue at the end of our previous visit, we decided to return four days later, in the hope that more Adonis would have emerged. We would also be on the lookout for female Silver-spotted Skippers, which, should we be able find them, would hopefully be in much better condition than the males we had encountered during our previous visit. As we reached the bottom of the hill which was more sheltered from the (strong) :roll: breeze, I immediately saw a male Adonis Blue which was being chased by several male Common Blues. I followed it until it settled where it revealed it's brilliant blue colouration in the weak sunlight..

P1150700.JPGResize.JPG

..this was the first of the total of six male Adonis Blues we saw during our visit, no females were seen.

P1150482.JPGResize.JPG
P1150471.jpgX.JPGResize.JPG
P1150754.JPGResize.JPG

A Chalkhill pair where the male is very worn, and the female very fresh..

P1150577.JPGResize.JPG

..Common Blue Female..

P1150500.JPGResize.JPG

.. and we also got lucky with Silver-spotted Skippers, finding a few good looking individuals. I also managed, at last, to get the shot I wanted of a female on a Field Scabious flower :D

Male Silver-Spotted Skipper
Male Silver-Spotted Skipper
Female Silver-spotted Skipper

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great photo's Maximus, love the Silver Spotted Skipper, Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Silver Spots Mike and the colours on those Adonis are awesome :mrgreen: :D That is the one good thing about this time of year when we get bad weather - there has been so much going on previously that at least you've got something to look at to keep you going during the inclement weather :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Goldie, glad you like the SS Skippers :D

Cheers Wurzel, I'm optimistic of more action yet, this year, but I know what you mean about the weather :roll: :wink:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike, a nice selection of Blues in your recent posts, particularly the series of Common Blue females, great stuff :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Neil :D

On a recent visit to Noar Hill we saw two female Brown Hairstreaks, but alas they didn't settle at low level! However we found a couple of eggs, one of which seemed to have been laid very recently, as it would appear that the 'adhesive' which attaches it to the Blackthorn, is visible in the first photo

IMG_6452.JPGResize.JPG
Brown Hairstreak ova
Brown Hairstreak ova

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

While at Noar, we also saw this moth which was still expanding it's wings, and this caterpillar, both of which we have not yet been able to ID.

P1150982.JPGResize.JPG
P1150987.JPGResize.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Mike

I think the cat is a Buff Tip moth but not sure about the moth - it could be one of the Prominents or I could be way off the mark :lol: . Lovely Adonis shots btw - you've really captured that sheen.

andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Hi Mike,

Pretty sure the Moth is an Orange Swift

Cheers

Andy

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline, for your ID of the Buff Tip cat, you really seem to be gaining a real interest in moths, must be Andys good influence :) glad you liked the Adonis shots.

Thank you Andy, for the Orange Swift ID, very much appreciated :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

29th August 2014

Having not visited our local Grayling site near Pirbright for some time, we decided that due to the windy conditions we would pay a visit to see if we could find some females. Our reasoning was that as Grayling are mainly a ground dwelling species, this would give us the best chance of getting a decent photo of one in the blustery conditions. Walking through the gate it was obvious that the heath is beginning to recover from the scrub clearing work carried out during the winter. Gorse is now beginning to re-grow and the Heather is in full bloom, and the two Icelandic ponies on the site appear to be doing a fine job. We saw the first Grayling almost immediately on entering the site, and it turned out to be our first female of the year too..

P1150741.JPGResize.JPG

..the males were playing hard to find using their superb camouflage..

P1150710.JPGResize.JPG
P1160048.JPGResize.JPG

..females and males were about equal in number, with seven females and six males seen..

P1150785.JPGResize.JPG
P1150789.JPGResize.JPG
P1160018.JPGResize.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Graylings, Mike - clearly I should pop back down there for another visit! They have a longer season than I realised, as I saw the first one on 13th July and several in 1st August.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Orange Swift Mike :D :mrgreen: I too didn't realize that Graylings had such a long season and they look in great nick too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Dave, we last saw them there on 24th July, so they do have a long season. It would be very worthwhile paying a visit to the site later this week, when the weather improves :D

Cheers Wurzel, the Graylings are in very good nick and do seem to have a long season :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Headed for Noar Hill today and arrived in reasonable sunshine, bumped into Pauline and Andy, nice to see you both again :D We searched the the really shetered hollows (wish I knew their names), the the first butterfly we saw was this really gorgeous Red Admiral..

P1150843.JPGResize.JPG
P1150845.JPGResize.JPG

and then this beautiful Comma..

P1160182.JPGResize.JPG
P1160187.JPGReize.JPG

loads of Brimstone on the nectar flowers..

P1150853.JPGResize.JPG

Ladies Autumn Tresses..

P1160215.JPGResize.JPG

..a fresh Small Heath..

P1160266.JPGResize.JPG

..and at last, a female Brown Hairstreak in a difficult spot at the top of a steep bank, I managed a record shot only, she was egg laying on Blackthorn, while I slid down the bank :roll:

P1160246.JPGResize.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wow the underside markings on that Comma are lush - I don't think I've ever seen them stand out that well :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Is it me or is the underside of that Comma abnormally dark?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

So glad you caught up with one of them Mike/Cathy - nice shot. I know for a fact that females come down in the afternoon to egg-lay at this site as eggs have appeared on Blackthorn that weren't there the previous day when I left at about 2.30ish. Lots of lovely fresh butterflies still around too as evidenced by your gorgeous shots of the Comma.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Its not a bad looking Comma, Wurzel/David, the best I've seen for a while :D

Thanks Pauline, I also think that female Brown Hairstreaks egg-lay late in the afternoon :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”