CLOUDED YELLOWS, HIC BIBI, LANCASHIRE.

Discussion forum for sightings.
LancsRover

CLOUDED YELLOWS, HIC BIBI, LANCASHIRE.

Post by LancsRover »

At least 2 Clouded Yellows seen Friday(22/8/14), Saturday(23/8/14) and 1 seen Sunday(24/8/14) at Hic Bibi, Nature Reserve, Coppull, Nr. Chorley. I've not heard or seen of any Clouded Yellows this far north before?(pics attached.)
Also seen at Hic Bibi, Speckled Wood, Common Blue, Red Admiral, Small Tort.,Small Copper, Meadow Brown, Peacock, Small White, Silver Y moth and numerous dragonflies & damselflies.

Russ
Attachments
SAM_1396.JPG
SAM_1394.JPG
David M

Re: CLOUDED YELLOWS, HIC BIBI, LANCASHIRE.

Post by David M »

Great sighting, LR. yes, it's unusual to find Clouded Yellows that far north but given that a fair few survived last winter I'm not surprised they have spread far and wide.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The first time I ever saw a Clouded Yellow in this country was at Smardale in Cumbria, back in 1992. It's good to know they have spread North again, this year.

Mike
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Great record there Russ.As they have only been present in ones and twos in many parts of southern England,(including Lydden Temple Ewell,remember that place?)i'm surprised,but delighted they have found their way to Lancashire. :)
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Cheers David, I got the word on Friday night from a good mate(Peter Gravett) and I was so glad they were still there on Saturday, my first Clouded Yellows in England. :D
I've always just missed them by minutes, eg. Grafton Wood and Collard Hill, to name but two!

Russ
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Mike, were you looking for Scotch Argus at the time? I've not been to Smardale yet(it's on the list).

Russ
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Mark, yes I remember Temple Ewell and your help finding those Silver-spotted skipper's :)
All being well I will be at T/E this coming Sunday(31/8/14), then catching the ferry across to France on Monday(1/9/14), on my annual trip through France to northern Spain for a few weeks, hoping to call in the Pyrenees on the way.
I really enjoyed your Gib. trip report earlier in the year. :)

Russ
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Russ, I live near Coppul, never thought I'd hear clouded Yellow's were around here, I must go and look, if I'm not too late, I've to find the place first, I've never heard of it before, Is that it's real name are is it short for some thing else?

I saw Scotch Argus at Arnside Knot a week ago they were looking worse for wear Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

LancsRover wrote:Hi Mike, were you looking for Scotch Argus at the time? I've not been to Smardale yet(it's on the list)
Yes I was - I found them along the old trackbed, both sides of the disused railway viaduct. I sat down on a rock, to eat some lunch, when I saw something yellow flying in a small copse below the path - my first Clouded Yellow.
Smardale, Cumbria - August 1992<br />Pentax K1000 - scanned from negative
Smardale, Cumbria - August 1992
Pentax K1000 - scanned from negative
Mike
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Goldie M wrote:I've to find the place first, I've never heard of it before, Is that it's real name are is it short for some thing else?
Hi Goldie - it is a curious name but it's real! You can download a leaflet from http://chorley.gov.uk/Documents/Parks%2 ... L%20v1.pdf Grid reference is SD566127

It is an interesting example of a place where a railway line has provided a 'wildlife corridor', which has helped many species to find this site. It's also quite near the M6, J27.

Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Mike, I'll down load that now, we've just been checking the maps, Goldie :D
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Goldie, I hope you have worked it out where Hic Bibi is, with Mike's help. Find Coppull Moor Lane, off the A49, I think there is a sign for the nat. reserve, go down the lane off Coppull Moor Lane, around a metal gate, past a run down garden nursery, through kissing gate into the reserve and take the left path, you will find butterflies all around. After approx. 100 metres opposite a bench you can drop down to your right into the pond area(be careful going down the slope, a little slippy after rain, wellington or boots advised).
I saw 2 C/Y on Saturday in the pond area, they were not moving too far, but on a short visit on Sunday late pm, there was only one flying fast around the bench area.
Tuesday looks good weather wise, good luck.

Russ.
LauraS56

Post by LauraS56 »

I had 4 clouded yellows (3 within sight at one time, another further on) along the Lune estuary near Snatchems last weekend. That was the first time I'd seen the species in Lancashire in about 15 years! There were a lot about in 1992.

Return to “Sightings”