August 2014

Discussion forum for sightings.
Matsukaze

Re: August 2014

Post by Matsukaze »

Plenty of garden visitors yesterday. Delighted with the Lycaenids, as I have been planting up the garden especially for them, and the Common Blue and Brown Argus are first-time visitors. At least 8 Common Blues in residence today so it looks like I have attracted a small colony!
Dsc02056.jpg
Dsc02049.jpg
Dsc02039b.jpg
Dsc02034.jpg
Dsc02020.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Three beautifully fresh male Adonis Blues seen at Swellshill Bank, near Stroud, on Friday just gone. This insect is simply magnificent when in this condition, and largely overcast conditions gave me an opportunity to get closer than usual to them:
2Adonis1A(1).jpg
2Adonis3A(1).jpg
NickC

Post by NickC »

Those Adonis Blue shots are fabulous.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

NickC wrote:Those Adonis Blue shots are fabulous.
I agree. My photos of the same species plus one small heath from Bonchurch Down this morning.
See www.flickr.com/photos/lepreskil for a video clip.
:D Ian
Attachments
Adonis blue.jpg
Small heath.jpg
Adonis blue (10).jpg
Adonis blue (7).jpg
Adonis blue (4).jpg
Adonis blue (3) female.jpg
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Saturday morning didn't look too bad weather-wise so despite a mountain of jobs to do I thought I'd make the most of it and have another go at getting a Brown Hairstreak sighting at Bookhams. With a bit of gentle persuasion (bribe :shock: ) I got my youngest Isabella to join me. My eyesight for one is not that good these days and she often spots things that I miss (as well as being great company of course) :) .
When we (eventually) got there the weather turned decidedly cool thanks to big fat grey clouds rolling in :? . Under these conditions butterflies are scarce to say the least but thankfully there were sunny intervals to bring things alive. Despite extensive searching of the areas where the Brown Hairstreaks had been seen in years gone by and of the blackthorn for an egg-laying females, we drew a blank. The blackthorn had plenty of other inhabitants though.
The ever-present 'False Hairstreak'
The ever-present 'False Hairstreak'
B 2014.08.16 IMG_7417 Meadow Brown (mating), Bookham Commons.jpg
Ruddy Darter taken by my daughter Isabella
Ruddy Darter taken by my daughter Isabella
If only I could get a Brown Hawker like this
If only I could get a Brown Hawker like this
By far the commonest butterfly was Meadow Brown. Other species seen were Green-veined White; Comma; Speckled Wood and Common Blue plus lots of Brown and Migrant Hawker dragonflies a few Mother of Pearl moths and the ever-present marauding Hornets.

Having two hours to spare before being needed at home we moved onto Sheepleas Nr West Horsley. After a quick packed lunch (under a buddleia with Red Admiral) it was out to explore the flower meadows that I'd seen and enthused about the week previous. On the way there Izzy recognised a photo opportunity and took this Specklie from an unusual angle.
Specklie by Isabella
Specklie by Isabella
Also seen on the way in were a couple of Small Tortoiseshell.
In the meadow I was slightly surprised that there didn't appear to be much about. The clouds were doing their stuff of course and once the sun re-appeared so did the butterflies :D . As well as Chalkhill Blues I got to see to Clouded Yellows (fast or what :o ) and when the sun went in I was able to close up on this individual. 8)
F 2014.08.16 IMG_7468 Chalkhill Blue, Sheepleas.jpg
G 2014.08.16 IMG_7488 Clouded Yellow, Sheepleas.jpg
This is my best picture I've taken of this species so far (and more than makes up for missing the Brostreak). In fact I've now seen cloudies at 5 different locations:- Martin Down; Collard Hill; Bookham Commons; a site I cannot disclose and Sheepleas. Hopefully 2015 will be another good year for this lovely flashy little butterfly :)

Phil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Philzoid - I reckon if you keep trying you'll get that Brostreak :D Great Cloudy shot :D By the way check your e-mail - I've sent you some MOths I need help with :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:Great Cloudy shot
Thanks Wurzel :) . My smash and grab approach is not as quick as yours when the butterfly is nectaring from flower to flower so I was thankful for that brief spell of cloud cover.
Wurzel wrote: I reckon if you keep trying you'll get that Brostreak
I would love to keep on trying but don’t know if I can justify another weekend day off out in the sticks :? . I’m not too keen to see my shed at the bottom of the garden, disappear from sight under a blanket of bramble and bindweed :( . Mind you in combination with the pond it does make for a handy man-trap for a would-be burglar :lol: .

Looking forward to seeing the moth pics :)

Phil
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Bearing in mind the generally early year and lack of recent reports here, do people think it's a bit late this year for trying for brown hairstreak? Weather allowing, I am pondering it in the next few days.

Regards

Steve
David M

Post by David M »

Steve Babbs wrote:Bearing in mind the generally early year and lack of recent reports here, do people think it's a bit late this year for trying for brown hairstreak? Weather allowing, I am pondering it in the next few days.
Absolutely not. Female Brown Hairstreaks will still be actively egg-laying for a while yet. I saw one at the Pembrokeshire site on 5th October last year!!

Chance your arm!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Steve,
In Sussex, Brown Hairstreak is only just coming to peak. I expect to see the annual pattern of a 'second wave' of fresh females later this month and into early September. These individuals often last into October. Plenty to play for!
BWs, Neil
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to decide whether the weather looks good enough this week.
David M

Post by David M »

Steve Babbs wrote:Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to decide whether the weather looks good enough this week.
I have the same dilemma as you, Steve. Conditions have to be 'just right' to reliably locate Brown Hairstreaks. I'm off for a week as of next Saturday and I hope there'll be at least one promising day during which I can do justice to this species in Pembrokeshire.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

I presume 'just right' is hot? I was thinking of trying Whitecross Green Wood - which I think is about the closest site to me - but forecast for likely days only about 16C.
David M

Post by David M »

Steve Babbs wrote:I presume 'just right' is hot? I was thinking of trying Whitecross Green Wood - which I think is about the closest site to me - but forecast for likely days only about 16C.
Not necessarily, Steve. I've seen female Brown Hairstreaks readily active at 13c, so I don't think heat is a major factor. However, you have to have a reasonable degree of sustained sunshine as well as light to moderate winds. They are reluctant to fly in overcast conditions so make sure there's at least 20 minutes sunshine in every weather hour otherwise I doubt you'll get lucky.
peterc

Post by peterc »

Strong (and not hazy) sunshine too :wink:

Peter
nomad

Post by nomad »

I also had a nice visit to Swellshill Bank in the Cotswolds last Sunday :)
Male Adonis Blue
Male Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Female Adonis Blue
Male Chalkhill Blue visiting Hemp-Agrimony
Male Chalkhill Blue visiting Hemp-Agrimony
lazarus

Post by lazarus »

On the late morning of Saturday 16th August my friend and colleague Lars Thomas, together with his son, was walking around the village of Hartland when they saw a large tortoiseshell (Nymphalis polychloros) basking in the sun on the perimeter wall of one of the gardens. He watched it for three or four minutes before it flew away.

Lars is a professional Naturalist, and someone whom I trust implicitly.

I am aware that Hartland could be seen as being a little far north for vagrant insects to have crossed the channel but, it is only sixty odd miles from Dartington Hall in Southern Devon where they have been reported in recent years. I am making no claims as to the provenance of this insect, and extrapolating nothing from its sighting apart from the fact that it was seen by an impeccable witness.
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

nomad wrote:I also had a nice visit to Swellshill Bank in the Cotswolds last Sunday :)
Hi nomad
I am heading down to Stroud tomorrow in the hope of getting pics od Adonis Blue. Having never visited the site before could I ask where you got your (even a grid ref would help) and any extra info I may need for this site. A good mate has given me info where he had them in Spring his year so I have info to start me off :)
cheers
Paul
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi Paul , the National Trust site of Swellshill Bank is approx Grid Ref 860022 to the south of Stroud. Plenty of parking on the lane above. There should be plenty of Adonis Blues on the Wing. Regards Peter.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Not strictly butterflies but the Isle of Wight bee-eaters have now fledged and it is thought there are 4 adults and 5 youngsters. I saw 7 today on telegraph wires. :D Ian
See http://www.flickr.com/photos/lepreskil for more photos
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1040355.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1040326.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1040331.jpg

Return to “Sightings”