Major Update

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Major Update

Post by Pete Eeles »

If I seem to have "gone quiet" lately, it's because I've been working on a significant update to the website, which I've just uploaded. I started this work just before Christmas, and finally finished it today :)

Essentially, I've reworked all of the distribution data (maps and location information) to acknowledge the information in Adrian Riley's new book, as well as the distribution given in the Millenium Atlas. I'll be updating the subspecies descriptions shortly.

So - what's changed? Here are some examples:

All species distribution maps now distinguish between subspecies. See the link below for the Grayling distribution. All of the sites listed also indicate the subspecies found at that site. By the way, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone having problem with Java applets. If there is a significant number of users that can't see the maps, then I'll see what I can do :)

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribu ... e=Grayling

All grid squares now list all species found in that square (not just "widespread" species). All of the sites listed also indicate the subspecies found at that site. See:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_ng ... pecies=All

I've also created a new "distribution summary" that can be accessed from the species menu. See:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distributions.php

I'd appreciate any feedback, especially of things that aren't working.

Cheers,

- Pete
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Pete
Some excellent changes - this sub-species inclusion gives loads more ticks to chase next year!
Some of your site description links do not work - as far as I can tell it is those that link to the BC website - perhaps they have moved their pages?
Also - I am not a great fan of Java - it seems to break up on moving a page, and often won't load at all.
Either I need to load a different version or there is sometning wrong with my computer.
Anyway - congratulations and thanks for making an excellent site even better.
Roger Harding
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Roger,

Yes, BC have changed all of their site links without putting a link from the old reference in place. Shame on them :) Anyway, I'll go through and sort these out when I get a chance.

I did look into all of the technology options when I created the maps, and Java seemed to be the most flexible and portable (between different browsers). If the problems become too problematic then I'll take another look at other options. Java version 1.6 (the most recent) has a serious bug in it making the maps on this website almost unusable, which is why I use version 1.5.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers,

- Pete
Last edited by Pete Eeles on Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

As ever, enormous thanks to Pete for his tireless work behinds the scenes on this site!

For your info, Pete, I still can't view the large maps properly from any updated computer, for the reasons you know about and that we've gone over before. Let's hope the people at Java do something about the bug soon. :evil:

Guy
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Guy. I've added a link that will, at least, allow you to view the map. You should see the following text above the applet (click on "Click here"):

Important! Users of the Java Runtime Environment 1.6 may experience image loading problems (specifically, the background map is not shown). This is due to a known bug that has yet to be resolved. Click here to view the map as an image (no sites will be visible).

An example is at:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribu ... mon%20Blue

If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate knowing what Java version you're running. If you're using Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the tools menu. Then click on the Advanced tab, and scroll down to the Java section - it should be listed there.

Cheers,

- Pete
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks, Pete - I hadn't noticed the link to an image.

My newest computer runs Sun Java Standard Edition 6, Version 1.6.0, build 1.6.0_03-b05. My laptop still runs 1.5 and can view the maps (unless I accidentally upgraded it - the reminder messages keep coming!!).

Guy
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks again Guy. I just added the link to the image - that's why you didn't see it :)

I had exactly the same problems with version 1.6 which introduces a caching mechanism that is, to be frank, broken. Which is why I've reverted back to version 1.5.

I'd like to be able to recommend this "fix" with confidence but I'm not 100% convinced it's viable, given that some other website/application might require version 1.6. But if you want to try it then let me know and I'll publish the steps on the website :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I have Sun Java Standard Edition 6, Version 1.6.0, build 1.6.0_03-b05. I don't see the background map. All I see is this, or something similar:

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

I have Java 1.6
I went on their website but couldn't seem to be able to download 1.5.
Is this possible?
I upgraded to 1.6 on a prompt from Java a few weeks ago - silly move (had I known!!)
Roger
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I've checked and it seems I have now installed 1.6 on my laptop, which therefore cannot show the maps properly. The link you give to the bug description indicates this is to do with the caching but I cannot find a way to turn that off. I tried installing the most recent build, which has some changes, but this has not resolved the problem.

For myself there is no big deal - the images are good enough because I don't need the site details, living abroad. And anyway, there are so many good map programmes around that the name of the site and its coordinates are enough to track it down if someone does want to make use of the information there. It's just a bit annoying that all your hard work on those maps is being sabotaged at the moment!!

Guy
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The previous release seems to be available here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

I just installed this (Java Runtime Environment 5.0), but without first uninstalling version 6 and it all seemed to work. However, I still have the latetst version 6 and the maps are still wrong. Perhaps I should have uninstalled version 6 first. HOWEVER, we are an hour later here and my dog tells me it is time to go to bed...

Guy
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

You only need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) as opposed to the Java Development Kit (JDK) unless you're writing Java code and need a compiler etc. The 1.5 JRe can be found here:

https://sdlc5c.sun.com/ECom/EComActionS ... D1F6AEE74C

Even if you have bith 1.5 and 1.6 installed, you may be able to select the one used in the browser (Tools->Internet Options->Advanced). Not sure, but worth a look. Otherwise, you'llneed to uninstall version 1.6.

I may try and convert the maps to use Javascript instead, but I need some advice from a friend (Russ Newman) who runs the very successful website at http://www.redhotpawn.com/

It's not what you think ... :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Right - I think I've found a solution that doesn't use applets at all! However, this will take a little while to implement, but should be in place within the week.

Now time to get some sleep ... :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Robin

Post by Robin »

Strange....I have Java 1.6 and can see the maps. Anyway, it looks as though Pete is on the way to solving the problem.

Pete, the Update is just great!! I amazed that you have done so much in such a short time. I'm just beginning to understand how much work is involved in keeping a website up to date. Thanks for all your efforts in providing such a valueable resource for us all.

Robin
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for the kind words Robin.

Right - this "should" :) now be fixed. The main distribution maps no longer use applets, and I'll also (today) remove them for the various grid squares too.

A side-benefit of this re-implementation is that the maps no longer flicker when you scroll. It also opens the door to allowing you to "hover" over a site to see what the site is, and what's there, and also to implement a hyperlink to take you to the site info.

So, testers :) ... all comments welcome. I'd really like to know if it works at last!

Example at:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribu ... e=Grayling

Cheers,

- Pete
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Do you ever sleep, Pete??

The maps work perfectly for me now. :D

Yah, boo, sucks to Java!!

Guy
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks Guy. Yes, I've been known to sleep :)

Just been playing with site info on the "dots" and it looks terrible. So the maps now link to the appropriate square so that, in essence, you can "drill in" to any square. Hope that makes sense!

Cheers,

- Pete
Robin

Post by Robin »

Still works for me :D
Robin
Dave Mac

Post by Dave Mac »

Pete the distribution maps are really good (the old version never did work for me) Thanks for all of your hard work
Dave
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Working fine for me, good work!
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “General”