Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Silver-spotted Skipper Continues To Spread

I will always remember looking longingly at the naïve illustrations of Silver-spotted Skipper in 'A Butterfly Book for the Pocket' by Edmund Sandars, originally published in 1939. This was my first butterfly book and it still has a place on my bookshelf. The description "locally common on the chalk and limestone downs and hills of south England only" was misleading when I read it in the early 1970s and we couldn't find it anywhere. Later in life I came to know that it was highly restricted in distribution and threatened with extinction. Its location in Sussex was a closely guarded secret. With the passage of time I became increasingly involved in the conservation of butterflies, and increasingly interested in the factors assisting the Silver-spotted Skipper’s reclamation of long-lost ground. Over the last ten years I've become ever-more optimistic that it would appear on Cissbury Ring, a location in which I've watched butterflies for most of my life.

I was delighted to discover the Silver-spotted Skipper (up to 5 individuals) on Cissbury Ring in 2013, and at several other sites nearby. It would appear that these discoveries (plus those of others) reflected the first phase of significant population spread since the occupation of Chantry Hill near Storrington in 2007, with adventurous females setting off from this and other established sites in 2012. I was relieved to count 16 at Cissbury on July 24th, indicating that the colony had become well established.

On Tuesday (29th July) I returned, but initially found difficulty in relocating them. After considerable effort I only managed to see 4 in the meadow adjacent to the south gate, where I first discovered them. I feared that the recent violent hailstorm might have knocked them back, as weather conditions of that intensity can kill butterflies on open grassland sites en masse. I was relieved and delighted when I walked into the adjacent meadow and immediately saw a high speed chase of 6 Silver-spots. A systematic count of an area approximately 70m x 200m gave me a total of 53. This amounts to a remarkable build in population over just two seasons. Perhaps even more remarkable is that it has already outstripped the presumed donor site, Chantry Hill, where I counted 48 later in the day. All indications are that Cissbury Ring is likely to host one of the largest populations of Silver-spotted Skipper in Sussex within a few years, perhaps ranking alongside sites such as Newtimber Hill and Malling Down.

I also visited Washington Chalk Pits, another 2013 discovery, where I found 3 Silver-spotted Skipper. My last stop of the day was Long Furlong, a strip of downland near Findon, where my brothers and I spent long days learning everything we could about wildlife in our school summer holidays. Although I searched this site last year, without luck, I was delighted to find 2 more Silver-spots. Colin Pratt, author of ‘A complete History of the Butterflies and Moths of Sussex’, assures me that the species hasn’t been recorded here since 1939, the year Sandars first published his little gem of a book.
UKB Chantry Hill towards Chanctonbury Ring.jpg
Silver-spotted Skipper country - Chantry Hill looking towards Chanctonbury

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
peterc

Post by peterc »

Hi Neil,

I remember seeing Silver-spotted Skippers when I was a wee boy in the mid 60s on rough grassland as it was then near the Greyhound Stadium at Hove. Duke of Burgundy also found here. Also during this period Findon Cricket Ground was a magical place for butterflies. Those were the days ...

Peter

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Peter,
"Those were the days"
Indeed they were, although it sounds like you beat me to it by a few years. I know Findon Cricket ground very well. My father played for them for many years (still a damn good village side) and at night I caught Ghost Moths here and collected lobworms for Tench fishing at Patching Pond. Can we turn the clock back?
BWs, Neil

kentishman

Post by kentishman »

Neil Hulme wrote:Silver-spotted Skipper Continues To Spread

I will always remember looking longingly at the naïve illustrations of Silver-spotted Skipper in 'A Butterfly Book for the Pocket' by Edmund Sandars, originally published in 1939. This was my first butterfly book and it still has a place on my bookshelf.
i was lucky to pick up a 1st ed of this lovely book at a boot fair a few years back. no d/j unfortunately.
the illustrations, despite being a tad undersized, are beautiful especially when they have been occasionally enhanced with silver gilt eg undersides of HBF DGF and SWF pgs 128-136.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi kentishman,
I think Guy Padfield once mentioned this too. To my childish eyes the silver-painted markings made the illustrations even more captivating. You did well to get a first edition!
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

August Already!

On Friday morning it suddenly hit home that August had crept up on me. With Silver-spotted Skipper and Brown Hairstreak on the wing it is always a sobering thought that we are unlikely to see any 'new' species this season, although there should be plenty of good days ahead with second brood Adonis, perhaps an influx of Clouded Yellow, and an autumn finale of Small Copper. Conscious that summer is now passing into its later phase I arranged to meet my father on Cissbury Ring, despite the 'iffy' weather. The forecast improvement didn't come until his curfew expired, but we still managed to locate about 15 Silver-spotted Skipper in the cool, cloudy, 'no-fly' conditions. With most of the more exciting species over for the year I was more than happy to appreciate the subtle beauty of a female Meadow Brown, which seemed keen to warm up and get on with things.
UKB SSSk, Cissbury Ring 1.8.14.jpg
Female Silver-spotted Skipper
UKB Meadow Brown, Cissbury Ring 1.8.14.jpg
Female Meadow Brown

Conditions had improved markedly by the time I arrived at the Steyning Downland Scheme. I'm currently setting up some butterfly survey routes here, for a recently won Heritage Lottery Fund project. While doing so I recorded 30 Wall Brown and a handful of Brown Hairstreak (4m, 1f) in a known master tree. The first females have emerged here and been mated, but it will be a few more days before their eggs are ripe and they drop into the blackthorn to start laying. Perhaps the biggest surprise came when I took my first look at a tiny (30m x 30m) overgrown area, tucked away at the top of Steyning Coombe. 36 Brown Argus were accompanied by numerous Wall, Common Blue and Small Tortoiseshell here. I came away very satisfied, particularly as I managed a good image of a Wall, which all photographers know is impossible.
UKB Wall Brown, Steyning Downland Scheme 1.8.14.jpg
Female Wall Brown

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking Wall Brown shot Neil what Jedi mind tricks did you use to get it to stay so still? :mrgreen: Also I'll be in Wales next week so will there still eb some Brown Hairstreaks left when I get back - how long is their flight period?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil,great news and a thoroughly interesting read regarding the Silver-spotted Skipper and its expansion in Sussex. This is one of my favorite butterflies,though i am yet to catch up with it this year. Hopefully next week...

More great images,btw.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Wurzel,
As you know it's a very difficult species to approach, even when dead. I slithered up to this one during a cloudy spell, then waited for ten minutes until the sun reappeared and she opened up. I'm not sure that I would have managed this with a male - they're far worse even than the girls.
Don't worry about Brown Hairstreak. Even in an early year they won't peak until mid/third week August. I always see a second flush of fresh females towards the end of August each year - they take me by surprise every season, just as the sites start to quieten down as most folk stop chasing them. These are the individuals which will still be around towards the back end of September. I've seen tired old girls in early October.

Hi Mark (essexbuzzard),
A good option would be Malling Down at Lewes next week. This is a SSSk mega-site and by then will also be awash with 100s (possibly 1000s) of fresh Adonis Blue. Hit it right and you'll' have one of your top five days this season.

BWs, Neil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill cheers for the info Neil - just need an improvement in the weather in about a weeks time and then it should be all systems go :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil,yes,i have been to Malling before,and i saw round-headed rampion there,as well as Silver-spotted Skippers by the hundred,would love to go back!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Big Cats

This evening (4th August) I was late in meeting my father at Mill Hill, where we had intended to photograph male Adonis Blues just before they closed their beautiful wings for the night. Although they had already gone to roost, the trip was far from wasted, particularly when 'the old man' spotted a near full-grown Privet Hawkmoth caterpillar. These beasts are always a joy to see and remind me of the days, more than 40 years past, when we bred large numbers in the back garden.
UKB Privet Hawkmoth cat 2, Mill Hill 4.8.14.jpg
UKB Privet Hawkmoth cat 1, Mill Hill 4.8.14.jpg
UKB Privet Hawkmoth cat 3, Mill Hill 4.8.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Beautiful Adonis

Although the season is now waning there are still a few annual highlights to come, not least the peak emergence of second brood Adonis Blue. By the end of this week Malling Down at Lewes and Anchor Bottom near Beeding should be alive with these beauties. I'm usually chasing other spring species during May, so I always look forward to their August flight. With plenty of Chalkhill and Common Blue, Silver-spotted Skipper, Wall and a few Clouded Yellow around, I regard these next few weeks as the grand finale of the butterfly year on the Downs.

This morning (5th August) I watched the maiden flight of several Adonis Blue males at Mill Hill. They perched on the abundant stems of Yellow-wort while drying their wings, occasionally discharging meconium fluid before heading off to patrol the slopes in search of virgin females, the first few of which are now out.
UKB Adonis upperside, Mill Hill 5.8.14.jpg
UKB Adonis underside, Mill Hill 5.8.14.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brownie Badge

Butterfly badgemeister Paul Fosterjohn has been at it again, this time producing a highly versatile piece which will complement your lapel on all occasions from the casual to the most formal. The Brown Hairstreak pin-badge is set to become a family heirloom and might one day appear on the Antiques Roadshow. The limited edition run of only 25 will mean that many people can't have it. Details of the badge and how to get hold of it can be found at http://betulae.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/b ... adges.html Profits go to Warwickshire and West Midlands branches of BC. Wear it well.

UKB BH Badge.jpg
UKB BH Badge.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

That lovely Wall Brown posing wings open on a fence reminds me so much of my youth in East Norfolk; they were common then and settled readily, wings open, in early evening sunshine.

But unlike yours, we had genuine Wall Browns: they landed on walls.

Maybe they have evolved over the past 60 years and have different habits today. Long live the Fence Brown.

Jack

Susie

Post by Susie »

Already got my brownie badge ordered, with a request for more species! :lol:

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

I had a quick walk around Malling Down this afternoon. No Adonis Blue yet, but plenty of Common Blue and rather worn Chalkhill Blue. I also managed to get one close-up shot of a Silver-Spotted Skipper.
Attachments
DSC_0107a.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Andy,
You must have been in the wrong area at Malling for the Adonis Blue - it's a big place! Several reports I've received confirm they are already out in good numbers there.
BWs, Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Brown Hairstreaks Get Going

As always the Brown Hairstreak season in Sussex has started slowly, at least in terms of close encounters. The males have been active for several weeks up in the canopy, and this is where the early season females have been lazing about, doing very little while their eggs ripen. Although it is currently only a trickle, females are now beginning to descend to lay their first eggs. It will be another week before multiples are guaranteed.

This morning (6th August) I stopped off at the small chalk pit on Steyning Round Hill, before continuing on to the Rifle Range. I struck gold here and the stunning female I spotted sat motionless for more than 20 minutes under cooling cloud cover. At the Rifle Range I saw a single male flitting around a master ash, but no females in the fenced reserve area. Just before heading home I found a second female in perfect condition, up on the northern (right-hand) flank of the valley. I find this species almost as addictive as the Purple Emperor, so it won't be long before I return.
UKB Brown Hairstreak, Steyning Round Hill 6.8.14.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Wow! Jaw dropping :shock: :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”